Atheists, please consider donating to a worthwhile cause

Started by Slim, October 21, 2008, 21:52:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

http://www.justgiving.com/atheistbus

I think it's time that the rational viewpoint was advertised for a change, so please spare a few quid for this if you agree.

Thanks!
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

BaldiePete

Dixkot

Chris Quartly

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

pdw1

Quote from: Dixkot on October 22, 2008, 00:01:42 am

More here

But doesnt this mean they already have more than enough money  ???

So why is Slim trying to raise even more?

But I like the idea of there being no god on the bus ;D

Patrick
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

pdw1

Quote from: AlexJ on October 21, 2008, 22:53:34 pm
;D

Probably?  Good to see how sure they are. Shouldn't this be the Agnostics Bus?  ;)

Nice idea though.

Dont you start again  ;)
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Slim

Quote from: pdw1 on October 22, 2008, 11:03:22 am
But doesnt this mean they already have more than enough money  ???

So why is Slim trying to raise even more?

Because the BHA will be able to pay for even more posters, on even more buses. The Ã,£5,500 was
a minimum requirement for this.

Slim

Quote from: AlexJ on October 21, 2008, 22:53:34 pmProbably?  Good to see how sure they are. Shouldn't this be the Agnostics Bus?  ;)

I personally don't like the use of the word "probably", but it at least reflects the fact that we can't be absolutely certain, and avoids the accusation that atheists understand the reality of God's non-existence as an article of knowledge. Perhaps it was hoped that this note of circumspection would appeal to a wider section of the populace.

However, personally I would prefer a simple "There's no God", or "God's not real" - although we can't be absolutely certain that fairies, leprechauns, gods and so on aren't real we can at least profess practical certainty; ie the possibility that there's a god is so slight that it's negligible, and an assertion such as "There's no God" is pragmatically correct for most intents and purposes.

Chris Quartly

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

34Poolboy

Totally agree with the sentiment although the slogan really is abysmal. Do belivers worry more than atheists? Are atheists happier due to their non-belief.

I`m an atheist and I`m a right miserable bastard!

Stewart

I offer this up as evidence that I, as an Atheist, worry about the state of our planet when people who think/believe as this video shows are elected*

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wQfQtpDAc

* - McCain is one of these.

captainkurtz

Anger is a gift.

Topper

Quote from: Stewart on October 22, 2008, 19:14:59 pm
I offer this up as evidence that I, as an Atheist, worry about the state of our planet when people who think/believe as this video shows are elected*

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wQfQtpDAc

* - McCain is one of these.

I think one of the youtube comments describes her best...."An ignorant c**t". I almost feel sorry for people like that. McCain is certaintly going after this type of "Voter", but he will not win. Not in this life ;).

Stewart

Quote from: Topper on October 22, 2008, 19:23:28 pm
I think one of the youtube comments describes her best...."An ignorant c**t". I almost feel sorry for people like that. McCain is certaintly going after this type of "Voter", but he will not win. Not in this life ;).

We can but hope!