New Look - NEW MEMBERS

Started by Dixkot, October 04, 2008, 17:02:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly

Welcome Chris! 

Always nice to see someone new, if you can ignore most of the bollocks in the Brexit thread then we're mostly not too weird :)
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

DavidL

August 22, 2019, 17:30:57 pm #331 Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 17:32:31 pm by DavidL Reason: Addition
Quote from: Chris Quartly on August 22, 2019, 16:27:00 pmAlways nice to see someone new, if you can ignore most of the bollocks in the Brexit thread then we're mostly not too weird :)
You don't post in that thread too often, to be fair! ;)

Welcome aboard Chris!

Bez

RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

Welcome, sir.  :D

Nice to read your introductory post, apart from the bit about Power Windows and HYF, which I found so offensive my missus could have written it.  :P ;)
The keys to happiness

pxr5

Thanks all for the welcome. The Brexit thread will be read-only for me I think  :-X

Matt2112, can't help the way I feel about that era. It's a shame as I didn't really listen to Rush again until Vapor Trails came out. In saying that I really enjoyed the first half of the Clockwork Angels tour.

The Letter R

Quote from: pxr5 on August 22, 2019, 15:07:09 pmHello all,

Seems like there isn't much new blood here so I thought I'd register and say hi. I did stumble across this site 10 or so years ago, but something put me off - can't recall what is was now though lol. But, I've still been looking on here as a guest now and again, not many users left now I see. I am a casual member on The Rush Forum too.

Anyway, I'm Chris and I now live near Blackpool, recently retired at 55. And now I'm settled has given me time to get back into music again - never seemed to be much time before as I travelled around a lot in my past.

I first got into Rush when a mate brought round a copy of Caress of Steel and Hemispheres. Both of which I initially thought were pants (I was more into Priest/Sabbath and the like), but eventually played them and got hooked - first bought, and still my favourite album, A Farewell to Kings. I've only seen Rush live twice. The first on the Permanent Waves tour at Manchester Apollo in 1980, then again in 2013 at Manchester Arena on the Clockwork Angels tour. Over the years I really went off Rush during their 80s period. Signals was OK, but after that, and especially due to Power Windows and Hold Your Fire I stopped listening. I've since gone back through their catalogue, but that era still leaves me a bit cold.

As a retirement treat I got myself a new Hifi system - Yamaha amp, speakers and a Rega Planar 1 turntable. I also rescued all my vinyl LPs that had been in storage since the mid 90s. A lot of the records I even forgot I had. I think I have quite a wide musical taste, some classical, punk, goth, rock, metal, prog and some pop.
Favourites include: Rush (obviously), Hawkwind, The Smiths, Bauhaus, Killing Joke, old Gary Numan, old Iron Maiden, Japan, old Judas Priest, Radiohead, The Cure, The Cult, The The, The Damned. I'm not really listening to much new music as there was so much I missed back in the day, so now I have more time currently visiting a lot of old prog stuff - mainly Gentle Giant/Genesis/Camel/Gong/Caravan/VDGG/King Crimson/ELP etc. and picking up cheap music off ebay.

Hobbies - Tropical Fish, Car Detailing, Rugby Union (only watching these days)
Football Team - Wigan Athletic

So there you are, a brief history of me lol.

Take care all.
Welcome aboard Chris - great choice of favourite album - Kings is mine too.
Feel free to chip into any thread you like - all opinions welcome so long as they are kept civil :-)