Author Topic: Anyone play Squash?  (Read 1523 times)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Re: Anyone play Squash?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 23:16:15 PM »
hello Matt, I am away from home so can not comment properly, but will comment fully when I am back in a couple of days.

Thanks, appreciated.
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
There are three 4 health issues with squash but squash is not dangerous. I have played this evening at my local club and the juniors were on court before me having a great time.

Here are the general health risks with squash.

1. Being hit by a racquet
2. Being hit by a ball
3. Pulling muscles
4. Heart attack

Like all sports there is some risk, but by being careful these risks can be minimised.

1. What makes squash so much more fun than other racquet sports is that it is more gladiatorial with two players in close proximity to each other vying for the T (the middle of the court). I have been hit it a couple of times by a racket but it has never caused serious injury. It is usually around the body but I have been hit above my eye a couple of times. This has been mostly from a chap who has a very large swing on his racquet, but it is up to me to keep out of the way. People who play tennis as well as squash often have too wide a racquet swing. The opposing player should pull out of the shot if they are going to hit the other player and ask for a let and maybe get a stroke. Being hit by a racquet is very rare though.

2. Being hit by a ball does happen from time to time and it did happen more in my earlier years of squash (playing opponents that are not so good and the ball not going where it should, or just too enthusiastic play). It does not happen very often now and the opposing player should pull out of the shot if they are going to hit you with a ball. If you are in front of the player and not letting them see the front wall and it is their turn to hit the ball then they should pull out of the shot and get a stroke (a point.) The worst possibility from being hit by a ball is in the eye, and it can happen. This is why some players wear protective eye goggles, and players under 16 have to. With more experience and players that are careful you should not be hit by a ball though. When playing squash you should always be able to see 1/3 of the hitting wall otherwise you should pull out of the shot and you should get a stroke; clearing the ball is very important.

3. Pulling muscles, especially leg muscles. Squash is an explosive sport so you do need to be warmed up before playing just like any sport. In squash though there is a lot of lunging and changing in direction around the court. Colling down stretches are also important.

4. Heart attack – squash is a game where you have to be cardiovascular fit, but heart attacks and squash is mostly a squash myth from the 80s (1979+1s!). Busy city types having a quick game of squash at lunch time, going hell for leather playing like an idiot and “I have to win because I am a winner”, and “I have a conference call to make with New York at 2.15pm”, and they fall over dead. There is no doubting that you have to be very fit to play squash to a high standard. I play two separate players in their 40s who wear heart monitors and they meet or go over their maximum heart rate. They are very fit though and do 60 mile bike rides for the fun of it on a weekly basis. We play county league squash. I also play someone who is 15 stone, in his 50s, and has silky smooth racquet skills but is totally unfit. His racquet skills make him hard to beat in spite of his inability to get round the court so well.

Squash is a fun, brilliant sport you can play at all times of the year. I started squash because even though I am a pretty good runner I find it boring. I took up squash because I could keep fit while learning something new and make my hand: eye coordination better and not be bored. When running around a squash court you don't think about fitness, you are more interested in hitting the ball. It is a sport that is incredibly addictive and in an hour you can hit the ball more times than in a 5 hour tennis match. If you get lessons and go to open club evenings you will meet really friendly people, learn how to play and you can join an internal club league. The better you become the fitter you become and then you might do some extra fitness like spinning or rowing to get get even fitter. But at the beginning when you are playing with players that are the same standard the rallies and the fitness will compliment each other.
The other great way to get squash fitness up is to play routines comprising only certain shots eg up and down to the wall as tightly as you can and trying to make the ball bounce on a target. Even this can be made in to game with your opponent, for points on how many shots hit the target. In this way your squash skills are getting better and the fitness will improve.

Forbes.com rate squash as the healthiest sport overall.  http://www.squashplayer.co.uk/sp_latest/forbes_survey.htm

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:56:19 AM by rufus the dawg »

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 11:36:33 AM »
Thanks for the insight!  Sounds like you have almost a permanent endorphine high, which must be a great feeling. :)

Yes, the points about the risk factors make perfect sense - as ever the media has a lot to answer for regarding scare stories about health matters.  The vast majority of health-related articles (I'm thinking particularly of the likes of the Daily Fail and Express) are based on dodgy data, sensationalist statistical misrepresentations and reckless mis-reporting of studies.

Personally, current circumstances dictate my exercise regime is based around regular body weight exercises at home and weekly interval training with the dog in the park!  Still, applied correctly it brings results, and I'm at the lightest weight (14st 7lbs), slimmest waist line (34"), greatest muscle mass and definition and general feeling of wellbeing I've been for ages - certainly since my mild "cryptogenic cerebro-vascular accident" last December... ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:41:26 AM by Matt2112 »
The keys to happiness

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

Personally, current circumstances dictate my exercise regime is based around regular body weight exercises at home and weekly interval training with the dog in the park!  Still, applied correctly it brings results, and I'm at the lightest weight (14st 7lbs), slimmest waist line (34"), greatest muscle mass and definition and general feeling of wellbeing I've been for ages - certainly since my mild "cryptogenic cerebro-vascular accident" last December... ;)

Well done Matt!  :D  I'm not that far behind you, having dropped 3 1/2 stone and 6" around my waist in 5 months. :) I'd like to get down to 13 1/2 stone by Christmas but that will require regular exercise, which is something that I find difficult to sustain given my shift patterns, the accompanying sleep problems and general lack of motivation. I do miss competitive sport, and I do like the idea of Squash, but at 54, and with my knee and elbow injuries and lack of fitness, it does seem rather an unrealistic ambition...well, I say ambition...more a notion really ;D 
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
Well done Matt!  :D  I'm not that far behind you, having dropped 3 1/2 stone and 6" around my waist in 5 months. :)

Great effort, that's some going. :)  It's all relative - I've lost half a stone and 2" (fnarr fnarr etc etc).
The keys to happiness

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 14:13:00 PM »
Great effort, that's some going. :)  It's all relative - I've lost half a stone and 2" (fnarr fnarr etc etc).

Thanks!  :) Its amazing what a change in diet, eating habits and prolonged stress can achieve! ::) ;)  I'm down to 34" waist myself and a Large/Medium size tee shirt (from 2XL  :o ) but I still have about a stone and a bit of hard to shift flab.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 18:04:17 PM by Bisto »

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 15:10:31 PM »

Thanks!  :) [size=78%]Its amazing what a change in diet, eating habits and prolonged stress can achieve! [/size] ::) ;)  I'm down to 34" waist myself and a Large/Medium size tee shirt (from 2XL  :o ) [/size][size=78%]but I still have about a stone and a bit of hard to shift flab.[/size]

That's great going Andrew, well done mate! :)
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 18:03:07 PM »
Ta very much Chris ☺ I do feel a lot better for it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 18:05:06 PM by Bisto »

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
First game back on Saturday after the lay off due to a ripped calf muscle.. only objective was to come off court intact which I managed but the legs were pretty heavy yesterday.. anyway onwards and upwards as they say...
From the Land of Honest Men.

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 15:06:52 PM »
First game back on Saturday after the lay off due to a ripped calf muscle.. only objective was to come off court intact which I managed but the legs were pretty heavy yesterday.. anyway onwards and upwards as they say...

Good for you. Whens the next game?

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 15:27:13 PM »
a week on Saturday..
From the Land of Honest Men.

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 14:17:17 PM »
Gawd

Entered the Wolverhampton squash masters. Try not to go out in first road, but I have no.2 seed in my age group! First game Friday.

I will wear my rush running shirt.

HELP