Author Topic: BOXING THREAD  (Read 34041 times)

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
BOXING THREAD
« on: July 15, 2007, 20:44:23 PM »
I don't think there's a lot of interest on boxing in here, but i thought i'd start a thread up after watching the Amir Khan/Willie Limond Commonwealth title fight last night. Did anyone else see it? It was a cracking fight, with Khan winning the title when his opponent was retired with a broken jaw, but not after he had been knocked down in the 6th round himself, and was looking very groggy for a while, and would possibly have lost against a bigger puncher. Not to sure if Khan is going to be the superstar that a lot of people are expecting him to be, he came through last night in the end, but was given a stern test by a boxer that i hadn't heard of before, but fair play to Khan, he's got his first title under his belt, and will have learned a lot in the process. The heavyweight fight on the same bill between Matt Skelton and Michael Sprott was a shocker, and i noticed Frank Bruno at ringside, and as old, and limited as he was, he could have got in the ring and knocked out both of those two last night!

Topper

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Banging Like An 808
Re: BOXING THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 20:52:33 PM »
Full credit to Khan for getting up off the canvas and taking care of business. He is still a raw talent. Let's see where he is in a year or so. You are absolutely right Zoony about Skelton and Sprott. What a load of crap that fight was. I'd almost put money on Henry Cooper knocking these two out. Horrible state of affairs if these guys are top tier british heavyweights.

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 21:40:36 PM »
Horrible state of affairs if these guys are top tier british heavyweights.

You're right there mate, weighing in at 20 stone, i'm tempted to get the gloves on myself  :P.

Dixkot

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 21:46:20 PM »

I can't honestly think of boxing as a sport.

It's barbaric, over-hyped and steeped in corruption.

IMHO

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 21:51:43 PM »

over-hyped and steeped in corruption.

Probably applies to more sports than just boxing Dix.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »
Watched the fight - the second one didn't count.
Khan looked like a guy who'd not faced anyone in the pro ranks and then came up against a 'neat' boxer in Limond. He's got a lot to learn but I reckon his brash approach might see him on his arse yet with that defence against a decent puncher.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:06:38 AM by NEILP »

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 20:22:01 PM »

steeped in corruption.

And what's been going on at Rangers today then mate?  :P ;).

Dixkot

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 21:08:27 PM »

And what's been going on at Rangers today then mate?  :P ;).

Don't think it's got anything to do with the club as such.

Dixkot

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 21:18:54 PM »

And speaking of corruption.  Khan should have been counted out.  But wasn't.  

What's that all about?

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 17:35:29 PM »

And speaking of corruption.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 18:32:56 PM »
I thought he was up pretty quickly tbh

cinderellamanr30

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 04:13:05 AM »
anybody see the clinton woods fight tonite,it was a good hard fight but i still think he is a wee bit short of true world class,he is a really dedicated fighter that deserves all the glory and good pay days that come his way,also sad to see the demise of howard eastman last nite,a great charachter,unlucky to come up against a great champ in bernard hopkins,but old father time catches us all.

Topper

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Banging Like An 808
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 14:19:01 PM »
I just found out Evander Holyfield fought and lost for one of the heavywight titles last night. WTF! The guy is 45 years old and punch drunk. A sad end to a once great career.

cinderellamanr30

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 23:07:20 PM »
yeah topper he never retired,i think he lost his licence in some states,but said after this defeat he had no intention of retiring,the thing about him he loves boxing and just wants to fight,he feels he's a warrior and that is all he wants to do,it's a great shame though he was one of the all time greats and a lovely guy to boot,there was a story in my local paper not long after he beat tyson about a group of school kids on a school trip to atlanta,he heard there scottish accents at the airport he went over and introduced himself to them and there teachers and askedwhat they were doing in atlanta,the upshot was he took them all to his home for tea and showed them his world belts.

Topper

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Banging Like An 808
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 19:38:15 PM »
Big, BIG fight this weekend with Joe Calzaghe and Mikkel Kessler facing off. It's being shown on Setanta. I haven't looked at the odds yet but I imagine it's about even. Should be a good one.