Signals

Started by Lyth, May 11, 2006, 22:21:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Signals is a very interesting album for me.

I was mad on PW and 2112 and signals is my 3rd rush album I bought (88) and it sounds completely different to both of them. With its keyboards up front and playing the riffs. It really is a Neoprog album to me.

Everyone say they can not hear Alex's on this album and his guitar is in the background. Yes it is mixed very differently. When I listen to this I hear his brilliant guitar parts all over this, he is so clever and the solos are fantastic. It is very subtle album this is not 70s progmetal Rush. Rush and Alex's are plying very clever technical rock music. Mixing electronic and guitar in a very clever way. Hawkwind did their early seventies experiments and now rush have attached new wave electronics to their sound to create very original results.

The other interesting point about this album is that many of my friends of the time say Rush sound like Rush and always the same in a negative way. I would point out these 3 albums. I can not think of many bands can sound like themselves but so different. King Crimson?

Prog in the late 80s when I bought this had slim pickings. IQ, Pallas, The Cardiacs etc.... Genesis and Yes were spent forces and at least Signals was very prog.

Slim

It was definitely flawed, but it was somehow a terrific record nonetheless.

Matt2112

Wow...I've just reminded myself of Mark Putterford's review; it's so wide of the mark it's not even wrong.

Subdivisions and Analog Kid are lightning-in-a-bottle genius.  Just untouchable brilliance.
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 22, 2019, 01:28:40 amSubdivisions and Analog Kid are lightning-in-a-bottle genius.  Just untouchable brilliance.
And I've always said that Chemistry is the best song on the album.

DavidL

Quote from: zoony on September 22, 2019, 21:09:22 pmAnd I've always said that Chemistry is the best song on the album.
Hmmm. I think the opposite actually. Some of Pratt's most clunky lyrics IMHO. I'm with Matt2112 - Subdivisions and Analog Kid are fantastic.
I'd really like to be transported back in time to experience the London Planetarium presentation of Signals. Although, I guess it wouldn't be 'all that' now. Very exciting at the time.

Nick

Very much my go to Rush album.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

September 22, 2019, 21:52:12 pm #36 Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 16:23:55 pm by zoony
Around the time that Signals came out, my mom used to listen to a local radio station called Beacon, who used to have a loan of a CD player, which were quite rare at the time, every monday night. They used to play a whole album straight through on it, and mom told me that the next one they would be playing was Signals. Needless to say I roped her into listening to it with me 🙂.

Bez

Chemistry?!!? 2nd worst track on the album....

I like Analog Kid, Digital Man, Losing It, New World Nan, The Weapon. Subdivisions I can take or leave and then Chemistry / Countdown would be missed off a play list...

We should probably organise a sync session.... ;D
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Bez on September 23, 2019, 13:22:48 pmChemistry?!!? 2nd worst track on the album....

I like Analog Kid, Digital Man, Losing It, New World Nan, The Weapon. Subdivisions I can take or leave and then Chemistry / Countdown would be missed off a play list...

We should probably organise a sync session.... ;D
Love the start to Chemistry, and a cracking Lerxst solo with plenty of feel to it. New world nan? Did you hear that one in the Indian mate 😉.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: zoony on September 23, 2019, 16:26:30 pmNew world nan? Did you hear that one in the Indian mate 😉.
How about a quick round of Rush songs with Food in the title?

I like Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Digital Man, Losing It, New World Man, then The Weapon/Chemistry / Countdown would be missed off a play list...
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

September 23, 2019, 20:47:27 pm #40 Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 21:41:06 pm by Nick
Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 23, 2019, 20:39:51 pmHow about a quick round of Rush songs with Food in the title?

Don't start me

Found the thread, last post was about 7 years ago. http://www.t-n-m-s.com/index.php?topic=31417.0
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Jonners

The new songs are an abomination

cygnusxdave

Quote from: Thailand Express on May 12, 2006, 01:04:32 amSignals is certainly not an easy album to get to love, but after all these years have passed it's probably in my top 3 or 4 Rush albums.
I wonder what Mark Putterford would say about it now?

Nothing. He died about 17-18 years ago.
I talk to planets, Baby!