Author Topic: Neil Young  (Read 20298 times)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
Neil Young
« on: December 23, 2002, 18:02:57 PM »
Has there ever been a more erratic artist than Neil Young? I have stuck with him because much of his work is brilliant (and in a few cases, era defining) but for every classic album he has released, there's a duffer not too far behind.

My favourite Neil Young albums:

1. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
2. Weld
3. Ragged Glory
4. Sleeps With Angels
5. Rust Never Sleeps

My least favourite Neil Young albums:

1. Trans
2. Old Ways
3. Mirror Ball
4. Broken Arrow
5. re-ac-tor

(Honourable mention should go to Crosby Stills Nash & Young, for their Deja Vu album - great stuff).

Nephronic

• Noob
Re: Neil Young
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 01:34:11 AM »
Couldn't agree more. His quality control can be very poor at times. I have to say that even his poorer work can at least be fairly interesting.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Liquid Grace Productions

• TNMS Member
  • en korv med dryck
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2002, 04:44:14 AM »
as I listened for the first time to NY live recordings, I was blown away by his guitar sound. the first thing that came to my mind was that there must be some roadie soldering his guitar amp while neil is playing
Immortal love comes in spurts

Dave Brenchley

• TNMS Member
  • Dave Rockin' Hard!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 03:30:03 AM »
I'm a big Neil fan too! Pretty much agree that for every great album theres something ropey coming along soon - but thats half the fun isn't it?! I particularly like the Freedom/Ragged Glory era plus a lot of the early stuff - Everybody Knows/After The Goldrush/Harvest etc.

Will probably get some stick for this but I'm also well into CSN and all the various permutations, solo albums etc. As with Neil, theres plenty of shockers along the way but also some truly great music. And against all the odds David Crosby has spent the last few years making some of his best music ever with new band CPR. I saw them do 2 nights at the Jazz Cafe in Camden last year and it was undoubtably one of (if not THE) musical highlights of my life. Totally wonderful evenings both.......
We're all here in celebration, this music's gonna make us strong....
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

Dave Brenchley

• TNMS Member
  • Dave Rockin' Hard!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 02:15:43 AM »
Saw Neil last night at Hammersmith. An absolutely wonderful show, totally solo and acoustic and featuring mostly new material.

The first nearly 2 hours consisted of "Greendale" a new suite of songs telling the story of Greendale and the Green family who live there. This turned out to be about 50% songs and 50% Neil telling stories about this imaginary community and its inhabitants. Now I know it sounds a bit dodgy, but it was absolutely gripping! Importantly, the actual songs are superb and there was also some really interesting acoustic guitar playing, something Neil is not necessarily known for.

After that was, I guess another 45 mins or so of favourites and Neil standards.

I can't wait for the Greendale album to emerge - it should be a real return to form. Listening to a couple of boots from the earlier Euro shows now.....

Also did some celebrity spotting. Standing next to me at the merchandise stall were the Stereophonics and that Lisa Rodgers bird off the telly who appears to be going out with the drummer. And then.... sitting just 3 or 4 rows in front was one Mr. Roger Waters.
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 03:34:44 AM »
Has there ever been a more erratic artist than Neil Young?

I have great pleasure in agreeing with you for a change, old chum.  I thought that electro album he did in the early '80s was particularly weird.  Then a few years later, strictly dyed-in-the wool country/folky acoustic stuff.

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 19:44:45 PM »
Saw Neil last night at Hammersmith. An absolutely wonderful show, totally solo and acoustic and featuring mostly new material.

Dave, I'm well jealous. Haven't had a chance to get to a gig on this tour, although ironically I was in Holland on business and passed the sold out Heineken Music Hall on the train to the airport shortly before the show.
Great to see the old man still prepared to challenge his audience in such a way. He's touring the States with Crazy Horse shortly so I don't know if there'll be an electric version of "Greendale" performed then, but I would imagine so as apperently he recorded the album with the Horse. "Greendale" will also be released on DVD featuring a feature "filmtrack" to the music!
Oh BTW, as good as the show sounded though 100 Euros plus for a ticket to a solo concert seems a bit OTT!

Dave Brenchley

• TNMS Member
  • Dave Rockin' Hard!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 21:07:08 PM »
Looking forward to the releases. I know Greendale has been recorded with CH so that should be an interesting contrast to this tour. I guess theres a chance that these Euro shows will be the only totally acoustic performances of this material.

I have been listening to some boots of the early shows in Scandanavia and we got a lot more story between songs on Monday than at those shows. I don't know if it developed as the tour went on....

I think my ticket was
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

Steve_Coupe

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 19:03:48 PM »
Just wanted to agree with Dave. I saw the Hammersmith show and I was extremely impressed with the Greendale material.
As far as celeb spotting, saw the Gallagher brothers there..

Neillwith2Ls

• TNMS Member
  • The world is turnin', I hope it don't turn away...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 20:01:57 PM »
Glad I found a Neil Young thread here! Have been a fanboy of Neil's for years too, and caught the acoustic Greendale stuff at Hammersmith last May too - miles better than the final studio album in my opinion  ;)

NY is probably my fave artist, and I'd list these albums as a  starter for 10 (well, 5):

1. Freedom
2. Harvest
3. After The Goldrush
4. On The Beach
5. EveryBody Knows This Is Nowhere

As we all know NY is very eclectic, and to pick 5 albums is extremely hard. For instance I love hard rock NY, and would also recommend the early 90's live set "Weld", where the skin is literally shredded off your face!  ;D

Not too keen on most of his 80's ouput ("Freedom" being the notable exception), and think recently he's been a bit under-par (although most of "Are You Passionate" was pretty great IMHO) - certianly the dreary Broken Arrow and following "Year Of The Horse" double-live set was fairly uninspiring.

The best thing I like about NY is his "I don't give a f*ck" attitude - he does what he does, and always turns in the completely opposite direction to what you expect him to - which can only be a good thing!  ;D
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 20:49:37 PM »
I work quite close to home - my car journey is just long enough to get through Cowgirl In The Sand.  ;D

Neillwith2Ls

• TNMS Member
  • The world is turnin', I hope it don't turn away...
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 21:23:11 PM »
Hahaha, I am a 15/20 minute drive to work, just about right to listen to the live version on "Road Rock Vol.1"  lmao
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 21:49:27 PM »
Cinnamon Girl melts my heart every time I hear it. The guitar work is out of this world.

Ragged Glory indeed.  ;D

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 21:52:39 PM »
I saw him in Sheffield in 2001 with Crazy Horse and he is the best guitarist I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 21:52:47 PM by captainkurtz »
Anger is a gift.

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 21:54:36 PM »
I saw him in Sheffield in 2001 with Crazy Horse and he is the best guitarist I have ever seen.