David Karsten Daniels

Started by Chris Quartly, June 10, 2008, 15:59:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly

I bought "Fear of Flying" by this guy a few days ago, I was on ebay looking for some CDs and was suckered in by some press (comparing to a lot of singer/songwriters I like).

I have to say it's pretty enjoyable, not going to change the world but worth a listen (I got a promo copy of the album from the record company on ebay for
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Topper

Sounds really good. So many talented artists out there. In an effort to out "obscure" you

Chris Quartly

June 10, 2008, 16:43:58 pm #2 Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:29:24 am by Chris_Quartly
QuoteSounds really good. So many talented artists out there.

That's almost a problem sometimes don't you think? There is just so much out there it's impossible to keep track, I've long past the stage of being able to remember the names of most songs on albums for example. And sometimes you can get so much to listen to it's hard to give everything the right attention.

In an effort to out "obscure" you
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Chris Quartly

June 10, 2008, 16:54:48 pm #3 Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 16:57:00 pm by Chris_Quartly
Ahhh I see that Nina Nastasia did that song that's on one of those car adverts, I wondered who that was :) (Our Day Trip, which you can download from her myspace page)

Topper

That's almost a problem sometimes don't you think? There is just so much out there it's impossible to keep track, I've long past the stage of being able to remember the names of most songs on albums for example. And sometimes you can get so much to listen to it's hard to give everything the right attention.

Just today I have heard 2 or 3 "new" bands to me that have probably been around for a few years. It is hard to keep up. To bring the thread back on topic, I will definitely be checking this David Karsten Daniels cat out.

Neillwith2Ls

A big problem for me too, made even more so since I  joined TNMS about 4 years ago. I used to by a whole load more CDs than I do now, an amount directly proportional to the amount of music press I read. I actually ended up making a conscious decision not to try and keep up, and let the good stuff filter it's way down to me, using the time to give the stuff I do buy more listens and... enjoy them :D

It's always nice to be turned on to something new, particularly by someone on here who knows your tastes, and we've had a pretty decent run of bands recently that have done that job.

Might be time to slow down a bit, a dig a Beatles album out ;)

But then there's the upcoming SS meet which are reknowned for their koff remedies.. some of which I have ready for you Mr.Q ;D
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Neillwith2Ls

June 10, 2008, 23:01:28 pm #6 Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 23:06:52 pm by Neillwith2Ls
Quite like DKD's stuff on MySpace, sounds like he could be good live. He's playing two places in July that I got to with GEIST; the Betsey Trotwood in Farringdon London (possibly the smallest venue in the universe!) and The Freebutt in Brighton - might make an interesting warm-up to the Iron Maiden gig I have the next night :D

Topper

QuoteThe Freebutt in Brighton

i have a friend who lives in Brighton and she calls it the gay capital of Britain.....And this place is called the FREEBUTT? :-X ;)

Neillwith2Ls

Indeed! Not being American, I've never made that connection Felix ;)

The Freebutt has played host to many on-the-up acts in its time. It probably holds about 100/120 people in the live room, but both the White Stripes and The Strokes came through on early tours - it's a great place to see bands :)

DKD is also in excellent company supporting the excellent Vetiver; ignore their "Thrash/Black Metal/Christian Rap" tag though, I think they might be 'avin' a laff...

http://www.myspace.com/vetiverse
http://www.vetiverse.com

Topper

QuoteIndeed! Not being American, I've never made that connection Felix ;)

The Freebutt has played host to many on-the-up acts in its time. It probably holds about 100/120 people in the live room, but both the White Stripes and The Strokes came through on early tours - it's a great place to see bands :)

DKD is also in excellent company supporting the excellent Vetiver; ignore their "Thrash/Black Metal/Christian Rap" tag though, I think they might be 'avin' a laff...

http://www.myspace.com/vetiverse
http://www.vetiverse.com

Thanks for putting those dates up for DKD :). The London date looks interesting.

Chris Quartly

He's also playing with Retribution Gospel Choir, I need to buy their album (produced by Mark Kozelek, it's Alan Sparhawk's (from the band Low) side-project thingie).

Need to find some time to burn some cough remedies of my own before Saturday  8-)

Vetiver sound quite good too :)

Bez

Need to find some time to burn some cough remedies of my own before Saturday  8-)

Do we need a separate thread....as far as I know I'm not burning anything for anyone yet... :-/
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Chris Quartly

I don't know if I'm supposed to be doing anything but will probably just take a few things for people I think they'll like :)

I can't remember if I've asked for anything from anyone either  :P

Neillwith2Ls

QuoteI don't know if I'm supposed to be doing anything but will probably just take a few things for people I think they'll like :)

I can't remember if I've asked for anything from anyone either  :P

I've asked the same question in the SS thread, and am just relying on people PMing me if I've said I'd be bring any medicine along ;)

I've got some for you Chris and, yes, you did ask! :D