The Beatles

Started by Ashley, December 16, 2002, 00:21:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I wonder if he'll be cleaning it up and digitally reprocessing it, a bit like he did with the old WW1 footage?

Funny to think that the last year of The Beatles is the mid point between the end of the Great War and the present day. There could have been people my age strolling along Savile Row 50 years ago today who remembered the war quite well, albeit they wouldn't have been old enough to take part in it.

Straight Shooter

"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Slim

That's brilliant - thanks. They are actually using similar restoration techniques then.

You've got to hand it to McCartney and his management - they've really kept interest going in The Beatles with these various projects over the last 20 years or so. The remasters, the 'Love' album, the hi-def films and so on.

Slim

Here's something I didn't know: two weeks after the rooftop gig, Paul had shaved off (most of) his beard.

Slim

And 50 years ago today, this happened:

The crossing will be busy today I'm sure. You can see it live on a webcam here:

https://www.earthcam.com/world/england/london/abbeyroad/?cam=abbeyroad_uk

Thenop

Brilliant photo this.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Slim

I sometimes think about the person who parked the Volkswagen, just behind George.

Supposedly it belonged to someone who lived in the block of flats on the other side. He or she must have parked up 50 years ago, put the handbrake on, probably had no idea there was a Beatles photo shoot happening later in the near future, perhaps later the same day. And it was about to enter posterity for all eternity. It was - quite literally - parked into immortality.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on August 08, 2019, 19:43:49 pmSupposedly it belonged to someone who lived in the block of flats on the other side. He or she must have parked up 50 years ago, put the handbrake on, probably had no idea there was a Beatles photo shoot happening later in the near future, perhaps later the same day. And it was about to enter posterity for all eternity. It was - quite literally - parked into immortality.
Serendipitous for the owner and subsequent owner, I imagine (wouldn't be allowed now...I guess)

pdw1

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Slim

50 years ago today, the Beatles' last ever photo shoot took place at Tittenhurst Park, near Ascot.

This was the last time all four Beatles were ever in the same place at the same time.

Six years earlier to the day, the cover shot for their With The Beatles album was taken:

Fascinating to think of the change in popular culture that had taken place in those few years, isn't it?

Slim

I've been reading (and audiobook-listening to) the first volume of Mark Lewisohn's excellent Beatles bio. I was put off initially by the sheer quantity of material you have to read (or listen to) before you get to the part where the Beatles even exist as a group. Huge details about their family histories, childhoods, school days. Quite a lot of background on Brian Epstein and George Martin, and some of the other protagonists as well - Neil Aspinall, Alan Williams (who managed them early on).

I've spent many hours on it and am only now up to the part where Lennon, Harrison and McCartney - as the Silver Beatles (some accounts have the name as "Silver Beetles"), with Stu Sutcliffe playing bass (badly) and a drummer named Tommy Moore are hired as a backing band for Johnny Gentle for a tour of Scotland.

It's a really rewarding read and really gives you a sense of who they are or were. One big takeaway for me is what an utter prick Lennon is, at least in his younger days. He's selfish and loutish, often regarded by his friends' families, whom he insults frequently, as disruptive and unpleasant. He's jealous, bullying and possessive with his early girlfriends, sometimes even physically violent towards them. He mocks disabled people. He's an occasional petty thief and steals someone's guitar at an audition. He's callous to the point of cruelty, even to his friends.

zoony

Quote from: Slim on September 07, 2019, 20:49:06 pmOne big takeaway for me is what an utter prick Lennon is, at least in his younger days. He's selfish and loutish, often regarded by his friends' families, whom he insults frequently, as disruptive and unpleasant. He's jealous, bullying and possessive with his early girlfriends, sometimes even physically violent towards them. He mocks disabled people. He's an occasional petty thief and steals someone's guitar at an audition. He's callous to the point of cruelty, even to his friends.
Typical scouser then mate 😉.

pdw1

For Slim and other Beatles fanatics
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/11/the-beatles-break-up-mark-lewisohn-abbey-road-hornsey-road

An interesting article about the final days of the band and a night at the theatre too
"Hornsey Road is at the Royal and Derngate, Northampton, on 18 September and touring until 4 December."
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Slim

I've heard a couple of interviews with Mark Lewisohn about his Hornsey Road show - hoping to catch it one of the remaining dates. Thanks!