Alice in Chains, new singer?

Started by Ace2112, March 21, 2006, 11:13:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace2112

Just seen Alice in Chains confirmed for the Download festival, does anyone know whos singing for them these days after the death on Lane (sp?)

cygnusxdave

I'd read on another site that Phil Anselmo (Pantera) was helping them out until they could find a permanent replacement for Layne. Dunno if he's playing Download with them, though as he's apparently working on a new Down album.  
I talk to planets, Baby!

rascal houdi

Jerry Cantrell does a fine job on his own, his voice isn't dissimilar to Staley's, he could handle it I think.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Ace2112

QuoteJerry Cantrell does a fine job on his own, his voice isn't dissimilar to Staley's, he could handle it I think.

Now that I'd love to see

Breesey

Now that I'd love to see

'Hear' maybe?  :-/

He did sing lead on some AiC songs I think. Certainly did on the unplugged session.
Have you heard any of Jerry's solo stuff?
Brought to you by P, F, M !

Ace2112

March 21, 2006, 15:52:56 pm #5 Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 15:53:06 pm by martinepaige

'Hear' maybe?  :-/

He did sing lead on some AiC songs I think. Certainly did on the unplugged session.
Have you heard any of Jerry's solo stuff?

I have hear one or two tracks, just what I happened to catch on Kerrang, I quite like what I have heard and thinking about his voice would def work

Slim

QuoteJerry Cantrell does a fine job on his own, his voice isn't dissimilar to Staley's, he could handle it I think.

Really? Layne had an extraordinary, incredibly powerful voice.

Thenop

Yes Layne did.
Cantrell's voice was always the 'second voice' in AiC. By no means bad, but always playing second fiddle. I think Cantrell does a great job on his solo efforts, Degradation Trip is a great piece of work. You can almost hear his grief over his friends death. Very intense, not unlike the intensity AiC displayed on Dirt.
But honestly, I would rather see them play under a different moniker than AiC. Without Layne, there is no AiC IMO.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Nïckslïkk2112

QuoteBut honestly, I would rather see them play under a different moniker than AiC. Without Layne, there is no AiC IMO.

Agreed, but of anyone were to do it, I'd like it to be Jerry Cantrell himself. He probably sang  more than a lot of people realise, and his solo albums are well worth a listen.
Legend in my own Mind

rascal houdi

When I saw Cantrell on his solo tour a couple of years ago he sang lead vocals on the AIC material with another band member doing the other harmony bit & it worked very well. Sure his voice isn't as powerful as Staley's but it'd be a tad more authentic than getting someone else in.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

captainkurtz

I was lucky enough to see AIC front row when they supported Megadeth on Good Friday in 1991 at Newcastle. :-)
Anger is a gift.

Dave Brenchley

QuoteI was lucky enough to see AIC front row when they supported Megadeth on Good Friday in 1991 at Newcastle. :-)

I saw that tour too, although I wasn't really into AiC until later. Weren't The Almighty also on the bill? I'm pretty sure they were at Manchester Apollo.
We're all here in celebration, this music's gonna make us strong....
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

captainkurtz

I saw that tour too, although I wasn't really into AiC until later. Weren't The Almighty also on the bill? I'm pretty sure they were at Manchester Apollo.

They were, yes.  They were crap, as I recall.
Anger is a gift.

pdw1

This from Blabbermouth (where I get all my metal news & rumours).  The talk seems to be that they will use "guest" vocalists this summer (what ever that means) and they have no permanant longterm plans as yet.  So who knows who'll be singing!

Patrick

ALICE IN CHAINS Guitarist: 'We've Always Made It Up As We've Gone Along' - Mar. 22, 2006  

Launch Radio Networks reports: The surviving members of ALICE IN CHAINS recently reunited and have announced that they'll play some U.S. club dates and European festivals this spring and summer. Beyond that, however, the group does not have any set plans. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell told Launch that operating this way is nothing new for ALICE IN CHAINS. "We're gonna take it like we always did, and we've always kind of made it up as we've gone along," he said. "You know, if you were looking at how to really capitalize on this experience and really make dough and make it a profitable thing, a band might, you know, would come out with a singer, have a record ready and all that. But that's not where we're coming from with this thing. We're coming from the place of 'It feels good, and we're having a good time, so we'd like people to be a part of that.'"

Cantrell, bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney performed with singer William DuVall and ex-PANTERA frontman Philip Anselmo on March 10 at a taping of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!"

This was only the second live show for ALICE IN CHAINS since 1996. The band members played at a tsunami relief benefit in February of 2005.

ALICE IN CHAINS vocalist Layne Staley died in April of 2002.  

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

pdw1

Knew I had seen some more info some where:

Cantrell and fellow ALICE IN CHAINS members, bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney, performed with Anselmo and COMES WITH THE FALL frontman William DuVall on March 10 at a taping of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!" Anselmo sang two songs with the group, while DuVall performed another two and dueted with HEART vocalist Ann Wilson on "Rooster".
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown