Author Topic: Bought a CD recently?  (Read 37578 times)

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
Re: Bought a CD recently?
« Reply #1110 on: January 02, 2018, 09:04:43 AM »
Yeah - the original release gets mauled on the Hoffman forum...
Anger is a gift.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1111 on: January 05, 2018, 14:23:04 PM »
Just received an original AB 1006 mint copy of Aja by Steely Dan on vinyl from an eBay seller in Italy. All I need now is a system to play it on and my own place
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #1112 on: January 05, 2018, 17:30:35 PM »
New U2.

Very good on first listen....best effort for a long time.
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #1113 on: February 09, 2018, 19:28:14 PM »
Bought a couple of nice vinyls this last week.
Led Zep IV - Jimmy Page remaster. Lovely job done with these (previously bought the debut album). Nice package, true to the original and virtually no extraneous noise at all - thoroughl recommend these.
Rare 'archive quality' copy of Strange Universe by Mahogany Rush. Sleeve is mint and vinyl plays really well with very few clicks/pops, mind you, not cheap at nearly £40.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #1114 on: February 10, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »

Rare 'archive quality' copy of Strange Universe by Mahogany Rush. Sleeve is mint and vinyl plays really well with very few clicks/pops, mind you, not cheap at nearly £40.

I haven't listened to that for years .. I do have a vinyl copy that I bought in 1979 along with Maxoom. Probably not "archive quality" but fortunately I have the CD as well.

Terribly underrated player. I love the way he blends jazz with Hendrix.

By the way does Satisfy Your Soul remind you of the Generation Game theme tune?

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »
I had a bit of a 80s madness last week thanks to a documentary and a 10% off deal on Amazon

Duran Duran - Rio
Blangmange - Happy Families
Blancmange -  Mange Tout

I think Happy Families was the first album I ever bought as a 13 year old  :o
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1116 on: February 14, 2018, 21:31:40 PM »

By the way does Satisfy Your Soul remind you of the Generation Game theme tune?

You know, I thought it reminded me of something. You've hit the nail on the head there!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1117 on: February 14, 2018, 22:55:09 PM »

Terribly underrated player. I love the way he blends jazz with Hendrix.

I've got a lot of affection for Frank Marino. He first came to my attention in about '79 when I collected my coupons from Sounds to send off for 'The Heavy Metal Album' which featured a number of artists on the CBS label. There were a number of quite 'exotic' acts on it, Mahogany Rush being one. The track 'Bottom Of The Barrel' was a storming live track from the 'Tales Of The Unexpected' LP. Around that time, I kept coming across the 'Mahogany Rush - Live' LP and eventually I bought it, seduced partly by the minimalist black cover and the inclusion of Johnny B Goode and Purple Haze which at least were familiar. The album is a heady mix of funk, jazz, blues and rock & roll, played before an enthusiastic audience. I used to lose myself in that record of an evening, absolutely glorious stuff. He was definitely unique. The way the effects-laden instrumental, 'Electric Reflections Of War' segues into 'The World Anthem' blew my mind!
He was the reason that I just had to get to the 'Heavy Metal Holocaust' at Port Vale FC in August '81. After being let down for a lift with a friend(?), I persuaded my parents to take me and my best mate. Marino's set was the highlight of the day and I managed to pick up two more LPs from a stall at the festival, 'IV' and 'World Anthem'. Soon after I bought 'Tales...' and later added 'What's Next', 'The Power Of Rock & Roll and 'Juggernaut'.
Got to see him once more at the Hammersmith Odeon when he played a couple of UK shows around '83, I think. He was still flying so far below the radar at the time that it must rank alongside the most poorly-attended shows I've ever been to. Of course, he played as if he didn't care but it must have been disappointing.
You are right to refer to him as underrated but he does get name-checked by some pretty good players occassionally. Personally I'm not over-keen on the jazzier side of his playing and he does have a tendency to stretch things a little too far in that direction for me (for instance, the 'Real Live' double CD is a little too indulgent for my tastes). He's written some good songs and I prefer it when he keeps to a more standard rock format but some of his extended soloing is superb. I'm no guitar player but his soloing appears to be super-fluid and I get the impression that he's got the skill to go anywhere he wants, at any time (and in his live shows, he often does!). He probably missed his opportunity to be a bigger artist at the end of the '70s by resisting pressure to be more commercial - good for him.
I hope he's still playing and still using one of the biggest effects-boards I've ever seen! Legend.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1118 on: February 19, 2018, 00:38:40 AM »
IV is my favourite Mahogany Rush album, though the first live one was the first one I bought. Like you my first exposure to them was via a free Sounds album - in 1978, I think. This one:

I tuned out after Tales Of The Unexpected which mostly didn't do it for me. I've bought some of the later albums in recent years. But I think IV, World Anthem and the first live record are the only ones I need, really.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1119 on: February 19, 2018, 00:41:01 AM »
Anyway - in recent days I have downloaded Nai Palm's Needle Paw, a 4CD Gentle Giant compilation, Nubya Garcia's Nubya's 5ive, Kendrick Lamar's Damn and two old Judie Tzuke albums I forget the names of. Sports Car and something else.

Neillwith2Ls

• TNMS Member
  • The world is turnin', I hope it don't turn away...
« Reply #1120 on: March 09, 2018, 13:03:35 PM »
Only one this year so far, Paul Draper - Live At The Scala.
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #1121 on: March 09, 2018, 19:32:00 PM »
A Couple of vinyls turned up in the week, I'd completely forgotten ordering the first:

Steve Hillage - Dusseldorf
Elephant 9 - Greatest Show on Earth
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1122 on: April 17, 2018, 19:30:50 PM »
Went to see Shame at the Cookie Club in Leicester last night - they were supported by a terrific indie pop mostly-girl band from Berlin, called Gurr. Bought their album In My Head on Bandcamp this afternoon.

Will be acquiring the Shame album next time Melodishop have a 50%+ sale on. Theirs was the most visceral, intense performance I think I've ever seen by any band. Quite something in that sweaty Cavern Club type atmosphere of the Cookie Club basement.