Author Topic: Bought a CD recently?  (Read 38169 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Bought a CD recently?
« on: March 13, 2004, 23:40:25 PM »
As a kind of supplement to the 'what's in the DVD player' thread I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where people could mention their new CD purchases.

I'll start then:

Sacha Distel - When I Fall In Love, a collection of old Jazz standards in a Nat King Cole stylee.

It's not my usual sort of thing.  I bought it because Martin Taylor, one of my favourite jazz guitar players features on it, but actually he spoils it a bit by showing off, as is his all-too-frequent habit. Distel still has a tremendous voice, there's a beautiful duet with Dionne Warwick (The Good Life), the orchestration is lush and tasteful and Sasha plays a mean jazz guitar himself on a few tracks.

Predictably, it starts to wear after a while, it becomes a little too sacharrine for extended listening.  Liza Minelli puts in an appearance on one track, and I'm afraid to put it mildly, her vocal performance is not quite to my taste.

For me though, worth it for The Good Life, My Funny Valentine, Taylor's guitar parts and a nice rendition of Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head at the end.

I make no apologies for failing to enquire as to the whereabouts of my coat - some of these songs deserve their status as classic jazz standards and it's mostly tastefully done.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 00:15:15 AM by Slim »

Thenop

• TNMS Member
Re: Bought a CD recently?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 23:44:28 PM »
Nice one Slim,

I recently purchased Joss Stone's Soul Sessions. Haven't really gotten around to it. This one needs a good listening still (boutgh it a few days ago). mainly bought it because of the reviews and recommendations (Ron ;))..

Also purchased Monster Magnet's Monolithic Baby!. Quite a change of pace, I admit.
The latter has been discussed extensively in the...Monster Magnet thread. Needless to say I think it's a killer release though...

Norbert
Arrogance Is Bliss

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 23:55:26 PM »
Norah Jones - Feels Like Home - bought it several weeks ago and I haven't really listened to anything else in the car at all.

I thought her first album was a little bland and boring, but this new one is absolutely gorgeous.  There's an added country influence which has really brought something new to the material.

I hate describing music but the songs on here wouldn't be out of place on records by The Black Crowes, Edie Brikell, Johnny Cash or Joni Mitchell.

I can say with some confidence that I don't think there will be a better record this year.

And if all that wasn't enough - she's beautiful too.  :)
Anger is a gift.

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 00:07:29 AM »
I've just ordered 801 Live by Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno and some others. It's got a fantastic version of The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" on it.

I've had it for years on vinyl but the phono input on my amp blew ages ago so I can't listen to any vinyl now  :(
I'm slowly buying on CD the vinyl stuff that I miss listening to.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 00:11:03 AM »
I recently purchased Joss Stone's Soul Sessions. Haven't really gotten around to it. This one needs a good listening still (boutgh it a few days ago). mainly bought it because of the reviews and recommendations (Ron ;))

I bought that one a while ago and in fact she and her band performed live on Jonathan Ross' programme this morning.  She DOES have a great voice, but there's a question mark about authenticity for me; I don't think it's quite natural for a 16 yr old white girl from the South of England to be singing like a soul diva from the Southern states of the US.

Still, it never did Elton any harm.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 02:15:45 AM by Slim »

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 00:12:33 AM »
Norah Jones - Feels Like Home - bought it several weeks ago and I haven't really listened to anything else in the car at all.

I quite liked her first album, especially Don't Know Why.  Haven't herad the new one yet.

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 00:14:23 AM »
I've had it for years on vinyl but the phono input on my amp blew ages ago so I can't listen to any vinyl now
Arrogance Is Bliss

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 00:29:45 AM »

I bought that one a while ago and in fact she and her band performed live on Jonathan Ross' programme this morning.
Anger is a gift.

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 00:30:59 AM »

I quite liked her first album, especially Don't Know Why.
Anger is a gift.

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 00:31:59 AM »
Sorry - I'm sure you've had enough of the Amy Winehouse debates.

No more - I promise!  ;)
Anger is a gift.

Dave64K

• TNMS Member
  • Keown does General Thade
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 00:52:34 AM »
RXRA by Eric Serra.

Managed to find this on e-bay as I dont think it was released in the UK.

Most people will have heard of this guy for his film work (usually soundtrack collaborations with Luc Besson)

Its a good CD with lots of hooks and atmospherics......reminds me of early Peter Gabriel.

The production quality is really high too.....Trevor Horn/Steve Lilleywhite standard but not too OTT.

The missus digs it too so no arguments when this one is spinning.

Dave
How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 02:14:55 AM »
Thats precisely why I'm still not sure about Amy Winehouse - sure there's some good songs on there and the production and arrangements are superb as is her voice, but, for me, her phrasing and delivery does not sound natural.

Amy is the authentic to the core - the real deal, the genuine article, utterly, completely convincing.  I think that phrasing is partly the result of being brought up on Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington records and being brought up in urban North London .  The songs are beyond exquisite, her voice is devastating, and I doubt that her record will be bettered this year or next.

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 02:27:56 AM »

Amy is the authentic to the core - the real deal, the genuine article, utterly, completely convincing.
Anger is a gift.

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 03:53:07 AM »

Get your Amp fixed.
Doesn't listening to vinyl make you more aware you';re actually listening? It does that for me. It is more work to gracefully put a record on the player than it is slapping a cd in the player and hitting play. And then sit back, walk around and do all sorts of things for the next hour.
Nah, there are vinyl's I'll Never buy on cd. It would ruin the entire experience...

I'm happy with CD but I'd like them to be in 12" gatefold sleeves  :)

Nephronic

• Noob
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 05:03:34 AM »
I bought it because Martin Taylor, one of my favourite jazz guitar players features on it

I saw Martin Taylor play with Buddy DiFranco (jazz clarinetist) many years ago when I worked in a theatre he was playing. He is an incredible guitarist, in fact I don't think I've ever seen anyone as good. I agree that he has a tendency to show off but when you're that good why not.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?