Jazz help

Started by Bob, November 20, 2004, 03:15:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Led_Boots

Forgot about Metheny. I love that Jaco album!

Listen to The Inner Mounting Flame, Slim. Not very much imagination needed, my friend!

-Led

Slim

November 23, 2004, 06:40:15 am #16 Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 07:37:50 am by Slim
QuoteListen to The Inner Mounting Flame, Slim. Not very much imagination needed, my friend!

So you think it's "insane"?  Sorry you don't like it, I can accept it's not everyone's thing.  But he's done a lot of very different stuff since, a lot of which I prefer to the Mahavishnu material personally.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Carrie

I'm pretty sure he means "insane" as in McLaughlin's phenomenal playing being mind-blowing listening, am I right? :)

Slim

Ah!  Thanks for the translation, Carrie.

Axil

Mats Olssons fever jazz selection, good stuff:

1. Moanin' - Bobby Timmons    
2. The honeydripper - Jack McDuff    
3. Haitian fight song - Charles Mingus Quintet    
4. Stitt's it - Sonny Stitt    
5. Off minor - Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane    
6. Blue Jay - John Jenkins, Clifford Jordan & Bobby Timmons    
7. I'm an old cowhand - Sonny Rollins    
8. Nature boy - Miles Davis    
9. Born to be blue - Freddie Hubbard    
10. Night after night - Nat Adderley & The Big Sax Section    
11. The sidewalks of New York - Cannonball Adderley    
12. Cool mambo - Sonny Stitt    
13. Ralph's new blues - Oliver Nelson & Eric Dolphy    
14. Tune up (take 4) - Wes Montgomery    
15. C jam blues - Jimmy Smith    
16. Fortune's child - Nat Adderley    
17. Stockholm sweetin' - Cannonball Adderley    
18. Bob's boys - Hank Mobley, Al Cohn, John Coltrane & Zoot Sims    
19. Bemsha swing - Thelonious Monk    
20. Theme for Ernie - John Coltrane    
21. Polka dots and moonbeams - Chet Baker

RUSH IN STOCKHOLM x5
Göta Lejon 1977
Gröna Lund 1979
Globen 2004, 2007, 2011

Chris Quartly

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Slim

Yes, to translate for the other Americans ;D

Although of course if we didn't have any in the first place, we wouldn't need that ;)

Carrie

Oh dear, oh dear... ::) lmao ;)

Led_Boots

How many times......I'm not an American! But thankyou, Carrie. You are correct, I love TIMF and John McLaughlin because of its insanity. I recenly listend to JM's Devotion album from 1969 and I think it's fantastic. Not quite as crazy as the Mahavishnu material, but he's getting there. A great album for jazz people!

-Led

Chris Quartly

QuoteOh dear, oh dear... ::) lmao ;)

:-* :-*  ;D
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Carrie

QuoteHow many times......I'm not an American!
Yes, he's Canadian, that's like getting the English & Australian accents confused (as stupid yanks do all the time, of course). ;D lmao

Ashley_Davidson

I hold no truck with Jazz in general.

I can enjoy certain musicians, Louis Armstrong being one, or Brand X, but in general I can't stand it.

wuhan

Mike Stern .. He is a great guitar player. My favorite albums are.

Standarts
Is what is
Play
Voices

Anything from Billy Cobham, Weather Report, Art Blakey and Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis, Vital Information, Steps Ahead, Spyro Gyra.
And thus begins the web.

BaldiePete

QuoteI've recently started listening to more Jazz and Big band but I'd really like to expand my knowledge and listening to other people. The thing is I don't have a clue who is good or not. I love Nina Simone and I have some Frank Sinanatra and some Louis Armstrong.

More modern stuff like Jamie Cullam and Micheal Bubla(sp?) leave me cold, so I does anyone have any good suggestions?

Don't worry about what is "good". Use your ears and decide what you like not what other people say you should like.

Having said that The Brian Setzer Orchestra is good big band fun but I don't know if it is considered "good" by fans of the genre.

Analog RH

In a live setting John Scofield is always good value. I saw him play at the tiny Band on the Wall in Manchester a few years back and it was one of the funkiest gigs I've ever seen.

He played the London Jazz Festival earlier this week. Sadly I couldn't make it.  :'(