Jazz help

Started by Bob, November 20, 2004, 03:15:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I've recently started listening to more Jazz and Big band but I'd really like to expand my knowledge and listening to other people. The thing is I don't have a clue who is good or not. I love Nina Simone and I have some Frank Sinanatra and some Louis Armstrong.

More modern stuff like Jamie Cullam and Micheal Bubla(sp?) leave me cold, so I does anyone have any good suggestions?

Analog RH

If you like big band stuff I can send you some Maynard Ferguson (I won't be breaking any rules as a lot of his stuff is long out of print). He's a trumpet player who fronts a mighty big band.

I prefer the big band and easier end of jazz. Stuff like Miles Davis and John Coltrane leaves me cold.

Slim

November 20, 2004, 05:46:22 am #2 Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 06:53:31 am by Slim
If you like Jamie Cullum (and I don't, I find him very generic and banal) you might like Diana Krall.  Similar traditional smooth jazz vibe.

It's such a huge genre though that it's a bit like saying "I like rock music, what's good?"

But anyway - my favourite old-school jazz artists are Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Mingus.

In terms of more modern stuff I like John McLaughlin (loads to choose from, from the really hard-edged experimental stuff he did in the '70s to the subtler acoustic stuff of recent years) John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Martin Taylor, Andy Sheppard and a few others.

Andy Summers' last solo album Earth And Sky is superb - well worth the investment.

I note you mentioned Sinatra, Bob - the stuff he recorded with Tom Jobim, the Brazilian Bossa Nova singer/songwriter is just exquisite.  Two albums to look for:  Sinatra And Friends and Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Thanks for the idea - that's my post-VT therapy sorted out.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Nephronic

November 20, 2004, 06:50:48 am #3 Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 06:51:17 am by Mickael_Kerr
As with most genres of music their is a huge deviation of styles. Coltrane falls into the strange but acceptable strain, Miles Davis is the acceptable but strange strain. The swing genre is great and is often ignored by the more snobbish elements of jazz. For the way out, psychadelia, what the feck is that elements then Sun Ra is the way to go. After that I'm more or less lost within the labyrinths of jazzdom. ::)
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Bob

cheers guys,

I don't really like Jamie Cullam, hes alright but not my cup of tea.

I'll take a look at your suggestions then tell you what I think, I've been listening to some Nina Simone this evening and her voice is amazing but the vibe from the muscians is fantastic. You can hear them talking to each other and feeding off each other's suggestions. Makes me kick myself at not getting into it sooner!

I can appreciate its a huge area but when I started drinking whisky  that is also a huge area and so its start with one recommendation (funnily enough by Slim!) and then move onto the next till you find something you like.

I used to do dance classes (foxtrot, waltz) and they used Swing/big band to dance to so I've always liked it, lol I feel like I'm on a cliff and about to drop into a new world of music exeperience ;D

Bez

Coltrane & Davis are sublime if you're in the right mood...other times it can sound like a horrendous noise. Jazz is best sampled at a personal level, rather like 60s blues...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Gingemiester

I got into Oscar Peterson through his Night Train album. It has loads of swing and a bluesy edge to it. Got a lot more of his stuff and haven't been disappointed. Very tight three piece, with the piano up front.

Recommended!

Cheers

Carrie

November 21, 2004, 10:41:44 am #7 Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 10:42:07 am by Carrie
Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, or Witch Doctor by Art Blakely & The Jazz Messengers. 8)

Slim

November 21, 2004, 17:45:52 pm #8 Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 17:51:05 pm by Slim
QuoteAs with most genres of music their is a huge deviation of styles. Coltrane falls into the strange but acceptable strain, Miles Davis is the acceptable but strange strain.

It's really only (some of) the later Miles Davis stuff which is 'strange'.  The first Miles Davis album I bought was Aura, some time in the late '80s - it's a laughably pretentious record in my opinion, the emperor without clothes.

Still, I had to have it since John McLaughlin plays on it 8)

Bob

well I've aquired some tracks and I'm going to listen to them tonight of Miles Davis.

I know this might sound sacreligous but the starbucks yesterday had a really good album on but the sods don't sell that version, so i have no idea who was playing :(

Led_Boots

In a Silent Way by Miles Davis. Any Weather Report. Jaco Pastorious. Wayne Shorter. John McLaughlin is insanity.

-Led

Neillwith2Ls

A Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis, nuff said ;)
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Norwegian

You should check out a famous record company called Blue Note Records, they sign a lot of both ne and established jazz-artists :)

Here is it: http://www.bluenote.com/
"Information does not kill you" - FZ

Slim

QuoteJohn McLaughlin is insanity.

What, precisely, do you mean?

Fishy

QuoteIn a Silent Way by Miles Davis. Any Weather Report. Jaco Pastorious. Wayne Shorter. John McLaughlin is insanity.

-Led

and u can add Pat Metheny, Brand X...
From the Land of Honest Men.