Jazz help

Started by Bob, November 20, 2004, 03:15:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

QuoteIn a live setting John Scofield is always good value. I saw him play at the tiny Band on the Wall in Manchester a few years back and it was one of the funkiest gigs I've ever seen.

He played the London Jazz Festival earlier this week. Sadly I couldn't make it.  :'(

He's lost it now anyway, big time - so no loss, mate.

Analog RH

He's lost it now anyway, big time - so no loss, mate.

Lost his muse, or lost his marbles? I haven't bought any of his recent solo albums so am genuinely interested in your reply.

Slim

November 28, 2004, 02:08:51 am #32 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:09:11 am by Slim
QuoteLost his muse, or lost his marbles? I haven't bought any of his recent solo albums so am genuinely interested in your reply.

His muse.

I bought his recent solo album this year after reading a positive review, in the hope that it would be a return to form - but it's just generic jazz; safe, bland and dull.  He seems to feel that a more traditional approach is more respectable.

I didn't know you liked Sco, Andy - which albums do you like?  I like Still Warm, Loud Jazz, Blue Matter best, I can take or leave the others.

Analog RH

November 28, 2004, 02:15:29 am #33 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:15:41 am by The_Analog_Parent

His muse.

I bought his recent solo album this year after reading a positive review, in the hope that it would be a return to form - but it's just generic jazz; safe, bland and dull.

Analog RH

November 28, 2004, 02:16:42 am #34 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:21:31 am by The_Analog_Parent
Also seen Sco on a couple of Miles Davis videos, back when he had hair.

Slim

QuoteIf ever you have a quiet day perhaps you could do me a Sco comp?

I don't have quiet days 8)

But I will certainly knock up a Sco comp for you old chum - I definitely owe you (at least!) one.  Still listen to the Dada and Maynard F stuff you sent from time to time - good stuff.

Bob

can I be cheeky and ask for as well Slim?

I'll post you a disc for your troubles?

Slim

Quotecan I be cheeky and ask for as well Slim?

I'll post you a disc for your troubles?

No probs Bob, please PM me your address - ta.

Fridge

Normally find Jazz about as exciting as watching a plank warp, but I do enjoy "Splendido Hotel" by Al DiMeola
Ach, if Dougie were here, he'd tell you himself....

Slim

Becca & Andy,

You may have received your Sco samplers as requested by now; if you have you'll have noticed that I was too lazy to print out the tracklist - sorry, a bit busy at the mo.

Here are the tracks on the CDR:

From Still Warm:

Still Warm
Protocol
Rule Of Thumb

From Blue Matter:

Blue Matter
Now She's Blonde
Time Marches On

From Loud Jazz:

Signature Of Venus
Tell You What
True Love

From Pick Hits Live:

Heaven Hill
Protocol
Make Me

:)

Analog RH

QuoteBecca & Andy,

You may have received your Sco samplers as requested by now; if you have you'll have noticed that I was too lazy to print out the tracklist - sorry, a bit busy at the mo.

Here are the tracks on the CDR:

From Still Warm:

Still Warm
Protocol
Rule Of Thumb

From Blue Matter:

Blue Matter
Now She's Blonde
Time Marches On

From Loud Jazz:

Signature Of Venus
Tell You What
True Love

From Pick Hits Live:

Heaven Hill
Protocol
Make Me

:)

Listened to this a couple of times over the last few days - surprisingly mellow in places, but still not easy listening. Tracks 1, 9 and 10 are my favourites.

Nice one, JG!  :)

Slim

December 21, 2004, 04:44:10 am #41 Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 04:48:40 am by Slim
A pleasure!

Just noticed I left Spy Vs Spy off the tracklist there .. oops

Between True Love and Heaven Hill.

Sorry about that.

Yes, those three are among my favourites as well.  Still Warm is my favourite of the lot, a shade ahead of Blue Matter.

Bob

Stew nicked the disk so I've only heard half of it :(

Apologies for not thanking you sooner Slim, cheers for sending me a disk :)

I was introduced to another Jazz type today, called Bugge Westletoff, have you heard of him? (I presume its a bloke with a name like Bugge?)

JonL

Louis Armstrong is the Daddy to me. LA sings WC Handy is a magnificent cd.
Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess is simply beautiful too.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Bob

I can also highly recommend a guy called Art Pepper. His music is very *cool cat* and its great for just kicking back to but still edgy enough to tap your foot away too :)