Best personal music year

Started by Alexj, December 12, 2004, 06:33:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexj

I've just watched a documentary abouth The Clash on TV and seeing the stuff about their second album (Give 'Em Enough Rope) was so nostalgic for me. It got me thinking - it was released in October 1978 which was a couple of weeks before 'Hemispheres'. Two of my top 5 albums so close together - I must have been in heaven  ;D

I checked other stuff I bought in '78 and it really was a defining year for me musically. Do any of you have a particular favourite year for music?

Slim

QuoteI've just watched a documentary abouth The Clash on TV and seeing the stuff about their second album (Give 'Em Enough Rope) was so nostalgic for me. It got me thinking - it was released in October 1978 which was a couple of weeks before 'Hemispheres'. Two of my top 5 albums so close together - I must have been in heaven  ;D

I saw that too.  I too was a fan of punk at the same time that I liked Yes, Rush, Zeppelin and others, back in the late '70s.  I'm sure there are more of us than the stereotypical picture of rigid boundaries (or even warfare!) between different music cultures would suggest.

QuoteI checked other stuff I bought in '78 and it really was a defining year for me musically. Do any of you have a particular favourite year for music?
I'm not sure I can narrow it down to one year, but either '84/85 for me, mainly for Prefab Sprout, The Smiths and a couple of other bands from that time, or '78/79, for Hemispheres, Joy Division, the Fall, the Police and the other stuff I was into at that time.  

zoony

Well 2004 ( september ) was'nt bad, was it? I would say 87/88 were 2 great years for me as i saw RUSH, U2, Heart, Def Leppard in that period, and was introduced to a few bands by a now deceased friend, namely The Chameleons, The Mission and X-mal Deutschland whose music i enjoyed.

Reg

December 13, 2004, 19:01:30 pm #3 Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 19:03:05 pm by Reg_Sweeting-Jones
Well, if I think about my life in music so to speak, then it would have to be 1980.

This was the year I discovered Heavy Rock, initially due to the influences of.

Rush: Permanent Waves and
Rainbow: Down To Earth

And, of course, this was the year of my first gigs - Rainbow in Cardiff (March) and then Rainbow again headlining the first Monsters of Rock at Castle Donington.

A great year.

In latter days, 2002 springs to mind.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Neillwith2Ls

Nice thread :)

For me,  there's:

My first live concert; Hawkwind (& loads of others) "Acid Daze" in Finsbury Park, Aug. 23rd.

A great year for some great albums; U2 - Achtung Baby, Nirvana - Nevermind, Pearl Jam - Ten, The Levellers - Levelling The Land (I was a big fan!). Also seeing Guns n' Roses live at Wembley.

Neil Young with Pearl Jam at The Reading Festival

Going into a recording studio for the first time with my (at the time current) band

The R30 tour
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Guitarfreak

QuoteTubeway Army Tubeway Army
Tubeway Army Replicas
Who are these guys?  ??? Never heard of this band...

Slim

Who are these guys?  ??? Never heard of this band...

You'll have heard of Gary Numan?   Well, Tubeway Army was his band, before he started releasing records under his own name.

Reg

December 14, 2004, 23:16:30 pm #7 Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 23:18:02 pm by Reg_Sweeting-Jones
Who are these guys?
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Jonners

1986 for me

Reign in Blood-Slayer
Puppets-Metallica
Peace Sells-Megadeth
Somewhere In Time-Maiden
Power Windows?
Epicus-Candlemass
Turbo-Priest
Pleasure to Kill-Kreator

No wonder I never had any pocket money left!
The new songs are an abomination

Guitarfreak

Thanks Slim and Reg, I had no idea as to any of that. I've heard of Gary Numan, but I don't think I'd know one of his tunes if it hit me in the head! Not terribly surprising though, as I was only born in '84.

As for a favourite music year... I'd have to say 1978:

Van Halen - Van Halen
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
The Scorpions - Taken By Force
The Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Frank Zappa - Zappa In New York
Boston - Don't Look Back
Rush - Hemispheres
Rainbow - Long Live Rock n' Roll

But for a personal best year? Hard to say, it'd have to be somewhere from late '99 to the present, as that's when I started listening to the older, superior stuff as opposed to 90s drivel.

Dave_Lack

Basing it on music that was released that year rather than retrospctively, I'd go for:

1977 for A Farewell To Kings, Going For The One, Sin After Sin and Wind And Wuthering.

1985 for On A Storyteller's Night, Power Windows and Misplaced Childhood.

1994 for Superunknown, The Division Bell and Brave

and 2001 for Bridge Across Forever (Transatlantic) Spiritual Machines (Our Lady Peace) and Origin Of Symmetry (Muse).

FLITCH

December 15, 2004, 22:00:28 pm #11 Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 22:04:58 pm by FLITCH
1982 for me,just started work,money in my pocket and I saw loads of bands.
Scorpions,
Queen in Milton Keynes'
Stones in Wembley,
Status Quo in Donington,
Genesis with Peter Gabriel in Milton Keynes.
Closely followed by '83 when I saw U2 and Rush for the first time.Great memories.
'82 was also one of the saddest for me with Randy Rhoads getting killed :'(. A legend in waiting.

Ian Hills

obviously for Rush it was between 1978 & 1981.
For music generally it was between 1966 and 1973.
Hammersmith Odeon May 1979
Stafford Bingley Hall Sept. 1979
Hammersmith Odeon June 1980
Wembley Arena November 1981
Wembley Arena May 1983
Birmingham NEC April 1988
Wembley  April 1988
Wembley  April 1992
Wembley  September 2004
Wembley October 2007-cancelled!
O2 Arena May 2001

Ian Hills

December 19, 2004, 01:13:24 am #13 Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 01:13:43 am by IAN_HILLS
QuoteThanks Slim and Reg, I had no idea as to any of that. I've heard of Gary Numan, but I don't think I'd know one of his tunes if it hit me in the head! Not terribly surprising though, as I was only born in '84.

As for a favourite music year... I'd have to say 1978:

Van Halen - Van Halen
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
The Scorpions - Taken By Force
The Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Frank Zappa - Zappa In New York
Boston - Don't Look Back
Rush - Hemispheres
Rainbow - Long Live Rock n' Roll

But for a personal best year? Hard to say, it'd have to be somewhere from late '99 to the present, as that's when I started listening to the older, superior stuff as opposed to 90s drivel.
Never Mind The Bollocks was released in 1977.
Hammersmith Odeon May 1979
Stafford Bingley Hall Sept. 1979
Hammersmith Odeon June 1980
Wembley Arena November 1981
Wembley Arena May 1983
Birmingham NEC April 1988
Wembley  April 1988
Wembley  April 1992
Wembley  September 2004
Wembley October 2007-cancelled!
O2 Arena May 2001

Guitarfreak

December 19, 2004, 02:43:19 am #14 Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 02:44:55 am by Guitarfreak
Never Mind The Bollocks was released in 1977.
My bad.  :P I was never a big punk fan outside of the Pistols and Dead Kennedys. Though the Dayglo Abortions had some great album covers at least. ;D