The Music

Started by Ace2112, December 18, 2004, 18:48:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace2112

Anyone else heard them? Really good stuff. New single is great.

On their 2nd album as far as I know

Neillwith2Ls

Yes, a good little band.

They appeared around the same time as The Strokes, The White Stripes etc, so were rather out-of-place in trendy music circles. Their eponymous debut was pretty good, but recently released second album Welcome To The North is a little stonker.

Recorded in the States (where they've been touring incessantly) and produced by Brendan O'Brien, it's worth a purchase. It's chock full of riffs, and their guitarist is quite a talent. Epic, riff-driven rock would be one monicker I'd fling at them. The singer is often accused of Percy-esque stylings, and loves his reverb and wailings.

The only thing you could say against them (apart from having to call their band The Music!) would be that most of their songs are underpinned by the trademark Manc baggy-shuffle beat (read Stone Roses, Happy Mondays etc), but it works for me.

The track Freedom Fighters is a monster, and made it onto my end-of-year compilation :)
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

starsky

The only thing you could say against them (apart from having to call their band The Music!) would be that most of their songs are underpinned by the trademark Manc baggy-shuffle beat (read Stone Roses, Happy Mondays etc), but it works for me.

The track Freedom Fighters is a monster, and made it onto my end-of-year compilation :)

You hit the nail on the head,if they incoporated more varied rythms into the tracks rather then the old manc shuffle all the time they would be up there with the best.
Good band though :)