Guitarists - Post Pics/details of your gear

Started by Stewart, May 15, 2005, 00:03:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Looks like a Supro. If you really like it and are going to make the commitment, it's not a bad choice. But I'd always recommend high bang-for-buck guitars for a beginner - a Classic Vibe Tele or Strat, a PRS SE, one of the budget Ibanez models. Super quality for not a lot of money.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on August 19, 2019, 23:40:53 pmLooks like a Supro. If you really like it and are going to make the commitment, it's not a bad choice. But I'd always recommend high bang-for-buck guitars for a beginner - a Classic Vibe Tele or Strat, a PRS SE, one of the budget Ibanez models. Super quality for not a lot of money.

Yes, I'd add a Yamaha Pacifica 112 to that list; remarkable for the price.
The keys to happiness

Slim

Treated myself again. Bit annoyed when it arrived (from Andertons) because the fingerboard was very dry, the frets were dull and the strings were actually scraping on the frets on a string bend (yuck).

But conditioning a fingerboard and polishing frets is good for the soul. Very therapeutic and the difference it made was remarkable; the fingerboard (interestingly laurel, not rosewood) has come up a treat.

Always fancied a pink Strat. This is actually a Classic Vibe, made in Indonesia but the quality is not far behind a modern US Strat (and decidedly better than some of the older ones I've had). I already have a Classic Vibe Tele so I knew it would be pretty good.

Next job - on with a set of 10-46.

Matt2112

Oh I love that colour, James, and a striking looking guitar all over.  Very nice indeed.

I keep looking at a Mexican Charvel So Cal in buttercream blonde; looks like a modded Strat at first glance, and in fact the headstock is licensed from Fender. Unfortunately, with times as they are, it's difficult to justify its purchase to anyone but myself.  ::) :)
The keys to happiness

Slim

June 07, 2020, 12:40:15 pm #334 Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:51:32 pm by Slim
Cheers Matt. Cosmetically it's a lovely guitar. Some observations: the frets are supposed to be "narrow tall" according to the spec on the Andertons site but they aren't; they are emphatically vintage style, small frets. It does play nicely though and it reminds of me of my old '82 JV Strat before I had it refretted, which is nice.

Interesting that there's a skunk stripe, as an original early '60s Strat wouldn't have had this. But of course it's not intended as an exact reproduction of an early '60s instrument, hence the (very welcome) truss rod adjustment at the headstock end. I hate having to take off a neck just to adjust the truss rod tension.

Was going to take another pic with the strings on, but I was lazy and 'shopped them on instead.

Gary L. Grape

I bought myself one of these last week, it's fun to play around with, even though it can be a bit dodgy sometimes. I think it might very well come in handy soon. And one of the sounds gives me a really strong Jamiroquai feel