Gibson vs PRS

Started by Dave64K, July 01, 2007, 21:47:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neillwith2Ls

Yeah, you would think that chambers would affect the sustain as well as tonality, but not always. My DeArmond M-75 is chambered, but not anywhere near the neck joint; in fact it's a solid lump through to the back strap button. The sustain on that is great too.

I guess it depends on the configuration of the hollows, and size obviously. Sometimes the pay-off of a lighter guitar can be worth it, and it sounds as though the SE singlecut would be a good example of that.
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

gebs

I recently also got a PRS Tremonti SE and have to say I like it very much. I have had many guitars (electric) over the years and I have to say I do like the sound of this guitar....it is better than the Gibson Nighthawk I had some years ago.
Midway hookers.......can I have one :-)

Stu Clark

Snuck back into the music shop on Saturday to play the PRS SC245 again.  I'm in lurve....

Fuzzface

QuoteI recently also got a PRS Tremonti SE and have to say I like it very much. I have had many guitars (electric) over the years and I have to say I do like the sound of this guitar....it is better than the Gibson Nighthawk I had some years ago.

Yeah....I played mine earlier this evening at band rehearsal. It still feels and sounds very good.....A very good buy, imho 8-)

Slim

QuoteAhhhhhh.  So I'm guesssing that chambering is a bad thing.  Need the wood for the sustain!

Well, on that basis semi-acoustic guitars are bad by definition - so I think that's a bit of a blunt conclusion.

Danforth

Will do, just emailed my mate the guitar tinker; I don't really fancy the job myself really :-/ :-[ :D

Has your mate changed the nut yet, Neill?

Neillwith2Ls

Has your mate changed the nut yet, Neill?

Nope, and I've decided to leave it as is at the moment. I lubricated the slots with lead shavings, and it seems to be working fantastically' no sticking strings, and the Grover tuners I put on it are keeping it in tune really well (at least at the last two gigs I've played with it).
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Danforth

Nope, and I've decided to leave it as is at the moment. I lubricated the slots with lead shavings, and it seems to be working fantastically' no sticking strings, and the Grover tuners I put on it are keeping it in tune really well (at least at the last two gigs I've played with it).

Okay, great to hear the problem seems to be solved.

Lee_Bool

I've been thinking about getting a PRS SE custom with trem, but I've heard that they suffer from not having the locking tuners? Has any one had this trouble with their SE's?

Fuzzface

QuoteI've been thinking about getting a PRS SE custom with trem, but I've heard that they suffer from not having the locking tuners? Has any one had this trouble with their SE's?

No trem on mine, so can't say... :-/

Stu Clark

I don't have a trem on my SE singlecut but for what it is worth, it did go out of tune on me once at a gig after a bendy-wendy solo - took me a long time to forgive it for that.  My Custom 24 with trem has never dropped its tuning in the eight years I've owned it and played it nearly every day.  Don't wanna diss PRS but I would not buy an SE again - I'd save like a muvva until I could afford the real thing.

MickW

Mind you if you think a PRS "10" grade top looks nice you really should check this guy out. I should warn you that for a guy who owns a music store he does have an axe to gring with PRS so be warned!!! BTW his rants page is excellent!

http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/main.htm
When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave...

34Poolboy

Each to his own I suppose but the flame top isn`t my bag. It`s fine done subtly but subtlety isn`t one of our U.S. friends stronger points.

Give me the plain old Black Beauty with it`s low end grunt over these spineless P.R.s.`s any day!

Lee_Bool

QuoteI don't have a trem on my SE singlecut but for what it is worth, it did go out of tune on me once at a gig after a bendy-wendy solo - took me a long time to forgive it for that.

Spirit of Rich

Mate, don't be put off. For the money, the SE Singlecut is absolutley superb value. You can pick 'em up on Ebay for just a couple of hundred sheets now too.

I've a US 1990 EG3 from PRS' pre-factory move days and i've not had it out the case since i bought the SE back in January last year.

I suppose if you're gigging with it (the SE) as Stu is, it'll get a bit more hammer and then I suppose it's bound to be a little less robust than a more expensive instrument, but for home use and in terms of VFM, the SE is a top buy.
You know how that rabbit feels........