• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 24, 2019, 06:09:22 am

Gibson vs PRS

Started by Dave64K, July 01, 2007, 20:47:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danforth

January 16, 2008, 12:32:10 pm #30 Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:34:59 pm by Danforth

I would get the graphtech one mate (the black one). The teflon in this leaves some particles on the strings that lubricate them so to speak, so your strings won't "stick" to the nut. 43 mm is LP size I think so that should be good. Better send them an e-mail before order to make sure this will fit though.

Neillwith2Ls

I would get the graphtech one mate (the black one). The teflon in this leaves some particles on the strings that lubricate them so to speak, so your strings won't "stick" to the nut. 43 mm is LP size I think so that should be good. Better send them an e-mail before order to make sure this will fit though.

Thanks for the tip mate :)

I used to use lead shavings from a pencil to lubricate my nut :D
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Danforth

Thanks for the tip mate :)

I used to use lead shavings from a pencil to lubricate my nut :D

You're welcome.

Lead Shavings hey? Well there's graphite in that so I guess it'll work a bit, but I guess it will wear off pretty quickly when grease and dust come around the corner.

Let me know if the nut change has worked out for the better okay?

Neillwith2Ls

QuoteLet me know if the nut change has worked out for the better okay?

Will do, just emailed my mate the guitar tinker; I don't really fancy the job myself really :-/ :-[ :D

Stu Clark

QuoteInteresting.

I'm looking to invest in a new guitar for the covers band I'm in, and have been toying with the idea of a PRS SE Singlecut - does anyone have any experience with them?

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition, but even after putting some decent tuning pegs on, it can't seem to stay in tune. The band is a rock covers band, and it gets a fair bit of bashing around.

Hi Neill,
I have a PRS SE singlecut and think that for

Slim

QuoteOf course all of Lerxt's Gibson are great, they're custom made or at least tweaked up beyond measure.  But buying a Gibson off the shelf is like entering a lottery (IMHO of course).

Definitely, I'm afraid. My Gibson '60 reissue Les Paul felt like a plywood copy compared to my Sid Poole LP replica.

Can't quite call myself a Gibson hater, though. Love the design, hate the way they make them.

Stu Clark

Love the design, hate the way they make them.

What he said!

Neillwith2Ls

Thanks for the thumbs up for the SE Single-Cut Stu; I'll see if I can find a shop with some in stock and try one out I think. I know it's only

Stu Clark

My understanding is that SEs are not chambered.  

Neillwith2Ls

QuoteMy understanding is that SEs are not chambered.

Stu Clark

Time to confess my total ignorance of chambering and what is is supposed to do - please educate me, guitar yoda Neill...

Neillwith2Ls

Hahaha, hardly a jedimaster...!

When I said chambered, I meant that it's not a totally solid body; ie. has hollow chambers in the 'wings', under the top wood. This makes the guitar lighter (the recent Gibson BFG Les Paul is chambered; much lighter guitar) but arguably affects the tonality of the instrument.

Fuzzface

I think they're sometimes referred to as "semi-hollow".....I think Fender has used that term....I seem to remember a mate of mine having one of those.

Looked just like an ordinary Stratocaster, but I thought it lacked sustain.... :-/

Stu Clark

Ahhhhhh.  So I'm guesssing that chambering is a bad thing.  Need the wood for the sustain!

Stu Clark

Should say that the SE singlecut is surprisingly light (especially compared to the Custom 24) but it does have the sustain of infinity.