• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 24, 2019, 05:54:50 am

Gibson vs PRS

Started by Dave64K, July 01, 2007, 20:47:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neph

I've always been a style over substance type of guy, why else would I buy a 12 string Rickenbacker, for me I'd always choose a Gibson over a PRS.

Neph

July 06, 2007, 22:20:06 pm #16 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 22:22:16 pm by Neph
When I was in the recording studio the other guitarist, and myself, would hire in guitars to embelish the overall sound. I owned a Rickenbacker 12 string and a Fender Jaguar while the other guitarist had a Gretsch and a Fender Strat. Despite using a different array of guitars we always preferred using the Gibson Les Paul. The balance, tone and intonation was always 'just right' for most of the feel we were after.

Slim

July 08, 2007, 00:54:41 am #17 Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 00:55:35 am by Slim
Always wanted a really nice Les Paul. But in the end, to get one, I had to have one made, by Sid Poole.

Ian_Hewitson

Hey, if a lovely shiny black Gibson Les Paul Standard (?) is good enough for that guitar legend Madonna then it's good enough for me.

Hooray for Gibson

Slim

QuoteThat picture sound be title guitar player's bliss.  Total quality.

Sadly I think Old Bloke With Guitar would be my choice :-/

Stu Clark

Sadly I think Old Bloke With Guitar would be my choice :-/

;D I hope I'm still rocking when I'm his age.

Danforth

July 14, 2007, 16:38:31 pm #21 Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 16:40:48 pm by Danforth
Sold my 19 year old Gibson Les Paul Studio last week. It was a really battered guitar. Originally it was white, but had turned to yellowish white through the years. Beltbuckle wear on the backside. Gold hardware was faded.

Today I bought this beauty. A PRS CE-22 from 1994. Looks great, plays beautifully. Really happy with it.

The Gibson was great and I had to let it go with a little pain in my heart, but after 19 years I wanted something different and more diverse. Humbuckers and Single coil sounds in one guitar. Develope some tremelo skills..

Stu Clark

Enjoy it Danforth - that's a beauty of a guitar

Slim

July 17, 2007, 20:05:53 pm #23 Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 20:07:00 pm by Slim
Lovely guitar! My own PRS (a natural finish Custom 24) is about the same vintage; 1994 or 1995.

Neillwith2Ls

Lovely looking guitar that (the PRS) :)

The Gibson has a nice antique, faded charm too though; especially like the tarnished hardware.
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Stu Clark

Having now played a PRS SC245, I am totally in love with it.  It does everything that a Les Paul should do but seldom does, unless you get the lucky one out of the factory.  The SC245 is totally differently voiced than my Custom 24, it goes for the Gibson jugular and delivers a killing blow.

Of course all of Lerxt's Gibson are great, they're custom made or at least tweaked up beyond measure.  But buying a Gibson off the shelf is like entering a lottery (IMHO of course).

Neillwith2Ls

Interesting.

I'm looking to invest in a new guitar for the covers band I'm in, and have been toying with the idea of a PRS SE Singlecut - does anyone have any experience with them?

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition, but even after putting some decent tuning pegs on, it can't seem to stay in tune. The band is a rock covers band, and it gets a fair bit of bashing around.

Fuzzface

I'm looking to invest in a new guitar for the covers band I'm in, and have been toying with the idea of a PRS SE Singlecut - does anyone have any experience with them?

I bought a PRS Tremonti SE a few months ago, and I am very pleased with it. Feels good to play, and it sounds good too.....Also it's pretty light, so it saves me some back pain ;)

I think it looks very good too 8-)

Danforth

QuoteInteresting.

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition, but even after putting some decent tuning pegs on, it can't seem to stay in tune. The band is a rock covers band, and it gets a fair bit of bashing around.

Maybe you should replace the nut Neill. Most detuning on guitars comes from bad nuts :-) and not the tuners. Maybe you could give it a go before you buy another guitar.

Neillwith2Ls

Maybe you should replace the nut Neill. Most detuning on guitars comes from bad nuts :-) and not the tuners. Maybe you could give it a go before you buy another guitar.

I hadn't even considered that mate, thanks for the tip :)

Incidentally the standard tuners that came with the Epiphone were fairly poor and it did improve the performance by replacing them with some Grover Deluxe Kluson style machineheads.

What nut would you recommend; I have no experience in this field! I use this site for parts/bits & bobs; is there a nut on here you'd recommend?

http://www.axesrus.com/axehardware.htm

Or is a branded option the best solution?

Cheers!