• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2019, 04:43:00 am

Gibson vs PRS

Started by Dave64K, July 01, 2007, 20:47:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave64K

I see Alex has said a couple of times that he has gone back to preferring the more indivdual sound of his Les Pauls compared to his PRS mainstays of the past decade or so.

Anyone own either or both care to pass comment?
How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

andyhaines

QuoteI see Alex has said a couple of times that he has gone back to preferring the more indivdual sound of his Les Pauls compared to his PRS mainstays of the past decade or so.

Steve Albini made these comments about PRS guitars:

"Hideous, hideous guitars usually around the neck of a total cock....but blindfolded they play real nicely. Immaculate assembly and playing comfort, but just hideous and owned by snorkeldicks"

Apologies to all those who have spent several grand on a PRS. ::)

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

fleetwoodphil

PRS guitars are nice but highly overpriced - my Deans are just as good - believe me I spent hours comparing them.
Les Pauls blow them all out of the water - if I could afford it I would have more than one. :)

Dave64K

I think Lexrst may agree

How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

scounter

July 02, 2007, 10:33:14 am #4 Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 15:15:14 pm by scounter
I have a personal preference for PRS, and though they have become even more overpriced, I still think they're more versatile instruments, and especially so for working players. It's just become fashionable to slag them off in recent times.

As for the posted comment above about the owners of PRS guitars. Well.... :-X

I had to sell my Custom 22 some years ago. Really wish I hadn't, but there ya go. For now, I've customised my SE with schaller locking machineheads and Dragon 2 pickups, and it sounds fantastic. Plays like a dream, too.

Never played a Les Paul that I liked (they do look great, mind).

Would choose a 335 from the Gibson range.
Until Later

Stu Clark

The PRS sound is as distinctive as the Gibson.  PRS a bit more metal, Gibson a bit more blues.  So to a certain extent it is horses for courses.  For shear playability I think PRS wins over a Gibson.  I never feel like I'm fighting my Custom 24, it is a dream.  Each Les Paul I've picked up, I've never felt completely comfortable.  But the people who owned them said that  once you master it, you love it forever.

I read an interview where Alex simply said that this time he went Gibson for a more classic rock sound, and hinted that the PRS sound (which he helped pioneer and popularise) was now heard all over the place that he wanted to break away from that.  Fair enough.

Spirit of Rich

Out of the box, there's no guitar to touch a PRS, IMO.

The consistency of craftsmanship, their playability, the quality of finish,all these are unsurpassed, I think. I've always found Gibsons less reliable.

That said, i'd love a Les Paul. I had a Gold Top once and traded it away for a pittance.  :-/

I suppose much depends on what you're used to. I just bought a Taylor GSMS,as the first quality acoustic I bought was a Taylor and, even though i've had a Martin D28 for a few years, I missed the feel of the Taylor.

Vive La Difference!  :)
You know how that rabbit feels........

Lee_Bool

LOL  :D :D Quality piccy
QuoteI think Lexrst may agree

Stu Clark

That picture sound be title guitar player's bliss.  Total quality.

Slim

July 04, 2007, 14:16:37 pm #9 Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 14:28:29 pm by Slim
QuoteI see Alex has said a couple of times that he has gone back to preferring the more indivdual sound of his Les Pauls compared to his PRS mainstays of the past decade or so.

I've had two Gibsons (Les Pauls), and two PRSes (a Custom 24 and a McCarty).

The PRS design is intended to be more versatile and consequently it lacks some of the uncompromising character of the Les Paul. I don't think it's as distinctive. But there's no doubt that PRS are much better made guitars.

Thenop

I am no guitarerro, I am just the drummer, but the guitarist in our band has 2 LP's. I for one prefer to be on stage with a player with those superbly cool Guitars than with all the PRS's in the world. (BTW, he owns a great black custom (I think) and just purchased a fantastic Custom Shop Goldtop '57 re-issue for which he had to let his sunburst go).
Arrogance Is Bliss

Micke.K

I've got a cherry sunburst LesPaul which I love 8-)

Never owned a PRS, so I can't really say if they're better/worse than LesPaul's, but they don't even come close in "coolness"....(IMO, of course)

Slim

Interesting anti-PRS sentiments, there.

Personally I like Stratocasters most of all, but I think the PRS design is ultra-cool - they are very classy instruments.

Micke.K

QuoteInteresting anti-PRS sentiments, there.

Personally I like Stratocasters most of all, but I think the PRS design is ultra-cool - they are very classy instruments.

I'm a stratocaster-man too. I've got 3 stratocasters and they're all very nice guitars :)

Can't say I have anything against PRS's, since I haven't played them very much, and never owned one.....I just think they look a bit "too nice".....they're almost like furniture ;D

Having said that, I must admit that I really like the look of the PRS Tremonti model

Stewart

I've had four PRS' over the years... My first being an EG4 back in the early 90's. Then I got my pride n joy a CE-24, which plays like a dream...

In 97 I bought my 2nd CE-24, this one was solid black, and despite being pretty much the same spec (expect for HFS pickups) it was a heavier (weight) guitar and had a bigger sound, last year however I had to sell it for financial reasons.

Then of course there's Lerxsts old PRS that I was presented with back at EuCon'04, nice guitar, but the abuse that Bill Bell gave it after Lerxst gave it to him as a thanks for working on Victor killed it imho. At EuCon'05 I gave that up for Charity Auction, Ash bought it for