Guitarists - Post Pics/details of your gear

Started by Stewart, May 14, 2005, 23:03:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neph

#herewego10inarow

Slim

Gary L. Grape

I try to keep my Equipboard page updated. My latest purchase was a 7-string ESP Ltd EC-257 in matte black.

Neillwith2Ls

Thanks for the heads-up on Equipmboard Gary - I'd visited the site many times to snoop around favourite guitarists' pedalboards and rigs, but didn't know you could create a profile and catalog your own gear! So, naturally me not being able to resist a list, I've created my own profile:
https://equipboard.com/neilltupman
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Gary L. Grape

Quote from: Neillwith2Ls on February 21, 2019, 16:11:42 pmThanks for the heads-up on Equipboard Gary - I'd visited the site many times to snoop around favourite guitarists' pedalboards and rigs, but didn't know you could create a profile and catalog your own gear! So, naturally me not being able to resist a list, I've created my own profile:
https://equipboard.com/neilltupman
Love it! I didn't realise it either when I first started, did the same thing you did and found out a few cool things. But at some point I also realised that I could create my own list, and I think it's cool to be able to share it with other fellow musicians.

Slim

In 1989, I bought myself a lovely Pewter US Standard Stratocaster. I unwisely got rid of it a year or so later after ruining it, and I've missed it ever since.

So - in recent years, since I've started buying guitars again occasionally, I've been on the lookout for a late '80s US Strat with maple fingerboard in Pewter.

This isn't a late '80s Strat. It's a 2007 model allegedly. It isn't Pewter either; it's Charcoal Frost Metallic. But it came up for a very good price on eBay so I decided it was close enough, and pounced on it.

Most importantly it does have the two point bridge with the block saddles. Always liked those. Cosmetically, it's pretty close to my old '89 Strat.

It looks like it has spent its entire life so far in its case, exactly as claimed by the seller. Still had the plastic film on the pickguard and the tremelo cover. Seems a shame to take them off, doesn't it?!

But I did.

Pleased to report that the clingy plastic film came off without leaving even the faintest mark. Sometimes you get a brighter patch under the stickers.

It's nice that Fender manufacture this sticky film with holes to go round the pickguard screws. But why can't they do the same for the pickup selector screws, the pickup height screws and the nuts around the volume / tone control shafts? I had to loosen all of the above to get the last bits of plastic off the pickguard.

Anyway. Bit of a first world problem that, admittedly.

It still has 9s on at the moment but feels like a modern, practical guitar - not bags of character but quite precise and easy to play. Medium weight.

Matt2112

The keys to happiness

Slim

Just had a quick browse through Geddy's Big Book of Bass and my god, he has a gobsmacking collection of basses. Unreal.

I can totally relate to it though as I have a more-is-more mentality myself when it comes to owning things like watches and guitars, and more recently bikes. Nothing as interesting as Geddy's stuff of course. Or indeed as numerous.

But I might start James Gibbon's Small Website of Guitar.

Stewart

So I did a thing...

In 2016 I built my own Hentor... In 2017 in ordered an official replica...

It arrived in October last year...

https://imgur.com/gallery/egUGfJA

Slim

Had the neck pickup of my grey Strat rewound by Hayden at Bulldog Pickups - I wanted a bit more sweetness in the treble, and a shade more emphasis in the mids, for jazz.

What's nice is that I'm now getting 8% more melancholy from 13th chords in the lower register, especially resolving to a minor 7th - at the expense of a bit of dramatic tension in diminished chords possibly, but the middle pickup is better for those anyway.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on May 28, 2019, 18:43:30 pmHad the neck pickup of my grey Strat rewound by Hayden at Bulldog Pickups - I wanted a bit more sweetness in the treble, and a shade more emphasis in the mids, for jazz.

What's nice is that I'm now getting 8% more melancholy from 13th chords in the lower register, especially resolving to a minor 7th - at the expense of a bit of dramatic tension in diminished chords possibly, but the middle pickup is better for those anyway.
How I wish I knew what you were on about!  ;D

Slim

Just replaced the tuners on my Ibanez semi.

The standard tuners were fine, but I prefer locking tuners. This is a relatively inexpensive guitar though, and decent locking tuners are a bit spendy - however I found these on Amazon:

Quite a novel design with two holes in each post. The holes are a bit narrower than usual and are oriented at a right angle from each other. The nice thing is that you pull the string right through and tight straight away; none of the faff turning the knob dozens of times while pulling the string taut with your other hand which I personally find quite irritating.

They seem pretty good quality. I prefer the look of the kidney-shaped Grover-style tuners that I've now removed, but I'm not really bothered. Quite an easy job to fit them - the mounting screw hole on the back is in the same place, so no drilling required.

Putting new strings on was a breeze. Haven't tightened them in yet, but I'll let you know how the tuners do once I have.

This is a really nice instrument for what it costs (£379 usually). I've had it about a year. The only criticism I would level at it is that the plastic used for the controls and the pickguard feels a bit cheap, but that's a minor niggle. It plays quite nicely and has a pleasing tone (the pickups are relatively low output, which I like).

Slim

I'm having a bit of a locking tuners fetish at the moment and I've just upgraded my SG with these, made by Hipshot:

I'd intended them for my Tokai Les Paul which I play much more often than the SG. But it turns out that the Tokai has the smaller, vintage-style peg holes, and they won't fit! And I wasn't about to set about one of my favourite guitars with a reamer.

Shame in one way as the SG had the classic Kluson-style green knobs which is all part of the definitive Gibson look, and this is the only Gibbo I have now. But these feel really high quality and turn really smoothly.

Once again I didn't have to drill holes - they come with mounting plates with little tabs that secure the tuners in place. You can screw them in instead if you want, but in this case that would have been tricky as the old screw holes are about 1mm from the required location.

The SG is one of the budget models, an 'SG Faded'. Has a very thin finish. Feels a bit cheap, like garden furniture. The rosewood fingerboard is a bit rough in patches. But the fretwork is really good, it plays very well and it's light. Quite a practical guitar.

Stewart

So, I've spent some time crafting my ultimate rig...

What you can't see in the pics however is the TC 1210 Spatial Expander I now have 😎

https://imgur.com/a/KrTINLE