• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
May 27, 2019, 11:23:37 am

The experience of a book

Started by Rebecca, June 20, 2008, 18:24:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebecca

I love books, I know I have too many because they are now getting packed into boxes until I buy more storage space. I have lots of paperbacks but I also have an awful lot of hardbacks but I never buy them new I get them secondhand from amazon or Abe books, or Oxfam or the lovely book shops in Otley.

Anyway, I love old books and the reason why is that the experience of the book, the cover, the binding, the paper quality, the way it smells, the font it's set in. They are all important parts to the experience of reading for me. Don't get me wrong though, I like a paperback but a serious book for me needs to be hardbacked and 'feel' right.

So yes I am a nut job, anyone else as crazy about books? Or even comics or anything else of reading material?

rufus the dawg

have you seen this?

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/navigate.do?pPageID=1576

could be the death of books, i would not buy it though

Slim

August 04, 2008, 23:12:08 pm #2 Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 23:13:16 pm by Slim
PDAs, laptops, desktop computers - all these are going to be the death of books, just as digital music downloaded then transferred and stored wherever you like will be the death of CDs and the like.

And quite rightly. Paper-based reading materials only ever came about because they were the effective method of making text available in their day. That's no longer true. The medium is not the message.

Nïckslïkk2112

QuotePDAs, laptops, desktop computers - all these are going to be the death of books, just as digital music downloaded then transferred and stored wherever you like will be the death of CDs and the like.

And quite rightly. Paper-based reading materials only ever came about because they were the effective method of making text available in their day. That's no longer true. The medium is not the message.

What happens if you drop these things in the bath? A book will dry out, even if the pages do get a bit crinkly.

I'll stick to paper based books, vinyl records and Real Ales.

Where's the fun in a collection of downloads? It may take up more space but I love to rummage through the books in my "library" to choose one to read.
Legend in my own Mind

andyhaines

Totally agree with Bec and Nick. Especially the bit about real ales. ;)

I have some books well over a hundred years old...like houses, they gain character. :)

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

dwtty

August 05, 2008, 09:38:46 am #5 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:40:02 am by MariaH
i love books. Had to be ruthless with the latest house move, no. 13 in 22 years, I think. I literally gave carrier bags of paperbacks away.

The first job I ever had was as a librarian's assistant at the School of African and Oriental Studies in Thornhaugh Street. I loved it, 4 storey's of books. I worked in the archive department sometimes and would sit at the desk read Livingstones' handwritten diaries of his explorations in Africa or first hand accounts of the aftermath of Hiroshima and original 18th century Japanese art folio's.

My bruv has something like 6,000 books on his pc. But to me nothing beats the 'romance' of reading a book in print. It's the memories associated with, as Bec says the experience, like everytime i think of The Hobbit or re-read it I remember the first time i read it, under my desk at the back of my Welsh class.

That's the sort of thing no pc can replace.
Never trust a man with a weak chin.

Topper

While I appreciate the technology that allows you to have almost an infinite number of books at the palm of your hand I still love the actual "hardcopy" so to speak. One of my fave things was/is to go to a old bookstore and just pull random books out and read. Why not. :)

Dixkot

The first job I ever had was as The Hobbit

::) ::) ;)

Fishy

always liked the idea in Fahrenheit 451 where books were banned that despite that they could be committed to memory and retold over and over...
From the Land of Honest Men.

dwtty

::) ::) ;)

is there any need for that..honestly....bloody coppers...... ::) ;)
Never trust a man with a weak chin.

rufus the dawg

yes i can see the point of this palm top, there are so many rubbish books out there eg so called holiday books, this would be great for that. my wife often reads a book and then gives it to a charity shop, because it was rubbish
but if i were wanting to read a book say about battleships, that as lots of pictures and tecnical drawings in of the ships, with lots of fold out pages it would be no good.

döm

Quoteyes i can see the point of this palm top, there are so many rubbish books out there eg so called holiday books, this would be great for that. my wife often reads a book and then gives it to a charity shop, because it was rubbish

But then how would Charity shops survive ?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Captain Ron

When I was but a nipper I ordered a really old book from my library called "The World of Spiders" by one W. H. Bristowe. Why is not important but suffice to say after a two year wait and signing a special duty of care document I was loaned the book from the London Central Library. I'll never forget getting my hands on it. Massive thing. Hand pencil drawn pictures and watercolours. Heavy leather bound. Yellowed pages from age. Probably worth a clanking fortune. Producing letters from David Attenborough and David Bellamy probably swung the loan for me. The library probably realised at that point I was wierd enough to not settle for the latest Hardy Boys. :)
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

rufus the dawg

But then how would Charity shops survive?

they could sell the second hand book on a disc? ;D

Graham Hyde

QuotePDAs, laptops, desktop computers - all these are going to be the death of books, just as digital music downloaded then transferred and stored wherever you like will be the death of CDs and the like.

Bands can go out and perform live to make a living, what are authors going to do when 'book swapping' websites setup, if they haven't already ?