Iain Banks

Started by Nick, October 20, 2002, 15:59:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Bought the Dutch translation of The Business a couple of weeks ago.
The Wasp factory is not available in a Dutch translation anymore, unfortunately.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ashley

October 07, 2003, 20:45:34 pm #31 Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 20:46:29 pm by Ashley_Davidson
Calling all Iain Banks fans, we look set to review one of his books this month, so please feel free to join in too!

Look under the talking bollocks VII section

Reg

October 07, 2003, 22:48:04 pm #32 Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 22:49:48 pm by Reg_Sweeting-Jones

Because 2000 is divisble by 4?
Not quite that simple Slim.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

QuoteI know the above, cos I spent a couple of years coding this crap in various places and had to find out for sure.

Oddly, I had to code this myself a few years back, in C - just found the function I wrote:

int isleapyr(int yr) {
   return (yr % 4 == 0) ;
   /* or .. will work in 2100:  return ((yr % 4 == 0) && (yr % 100) || (yr % 400 == 0)) */
}

I had forgotten the exact rule, but it looks like I coded it to work up to 2099 only (the year argument would always be the present year), but left a comment in the code so it could be modified to work correctly in 2100 (and beyond!) if necessary!

Jon M

It certainly does Reg, I ought to have set a reminder here, Its a while since I was in this area of the site...No excuses..its in the post sir! ;D
Is it Living? or...Just existence....YEAH YOU!

Nick

For those that are interested a new IB book heading our way soonish, titled

"The Steep Approach to Garbadale".

Key Editorial Points:

Dark family secrets and a passionate love affair: Iain Banks' best novel since THE CROW ROAD.

Book Information:

Dark family secrets, a long-lost love affair and a multi-million pound gaming business lie at the heart of Iain Banks' fabulous new novel .

The Wopuld family have built their fortune on a board game called EMPIRE. It has transferred remarkably well to the computer generation and now the American Spraint corportation want to buy them out. Alban, who has been evading the family tentacles for the last few years, thinks the yanks should be treated with suspicion - but he also has other things on his mind. What was it that drove his mother to take her own life? And has he ever really got over Sophie, the girl he had a teenage love affair with and who will be present at the forthcoming family gathering in their highland castle?

A book of great warmth, humanity and ingenuity, MATTER is Iain Banks' finest novel since THE CROW ROAD.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

BaldiePete

QuoteFor those that are interested a new IB book heading our way soonish, titled

"The Steep Approach to Garbadale".

Key Editorial Points:

Dark family secrets and a passionate love affair: Iain Banks' best novel since THE CROW ROAD.

Book Information:

Dark family secrets, a long-lost love affair and a multi-million pound gaming business lie at the heart of Iain Banks' fabulous new novel .

The Wopuld family have built their fortune on a board game called EMPIRE. It has transferred remarkably well to the computer generation and now the American Spraint corportation want to buy them out. Alban, who has been evading the family tentacles for the last few years, thinks the yanks should be treated with suspicion - but he also has other things on his mind. What was it that drove his mother to take her own life? And has he ever really got over Sophie, the girl he had a teenage love affair with and who will be present at the forthcoming family gathering in their highland castle?

A book of great warmth, humanity and ingenuity, MATTER is Iain Banks' finest novel since THE CROW ROAD.

He has changed the title. It was going to be called "Matter".

BTW - there was another Iain Banks thread on way down on page 6.
http://www.t-n-m-s.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1089387263/41#41

Nick

Moving_Pict

I've always thought that "The Wasp Factory" was the ultimate Rush fan's book. If Neil Peart had written it we'd have started our own religion by now.  

BaldiePete

QuoteI've always thought that "The Wasp Factory" was the ultimate Rush fan's book. If Neil Peart had written it we'd have started our own religion by now.  

What are you trying so say about Rush fans Mr Pict  ?   ::)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

But you might be right  :o

Moving_Pict

What are you trying so say about Rush fans Mr Pict

TerrBerr

Thankfully I'm wrong. Each Sunday I realise this is becoming more common as I peruse my Saturday night temporary keyboard insanity. I think what I mean (and I'm no longer sure) is that Rush music is not completely normal. Most folk shy away and yet their fans are attracted to it in an addictive, compulsive way. And not in a trying just to be contrary way either. If you get it you really get it and it's under your skin forever. A sound that restructures your DNA. Is that a weird enough explanation? I think I am back on thread again. The Wasp Factory is like that. It strikes you somewhere that you will always remember. If you get it!

I bought this book many years ago but never read it. I think I will try it now on the strength of your somewhat rambling recommendation...

To me you're a Captain, but to a Captain, you're no Captain!

Moving_Pict

I bought this book many years ago but never read it. I think I will try it now on the strength of your somewhat rambling recommendation...

Are all of my replies to you going to begin with "How dare you"? I have never rambled in my life. I am succinct always. I could say more but that would just open the door to spurious conjecture. OK I do ramble. But in a good way. ;D

Nick

February 12, 2007, 22:22:56 pm #43 Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 22:27:16 pm by Nick
QuoteMy Rush following seems to have run side by side with the releases of his books.

My original quote has come to fruition !!!  :o :o :o :o ;D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steep-Approach-Garbadale-Iain-Banks/dp/0316731056/sr=8-1/qid=1171315264/ref=pd_ka_1/203-4241257-5957528?ie=UTF8&s=books

Phil

Without looking at Amazon, has he written a book called The Algebreist?
I've read that.