Iain Banks

Started by Nick, October 20, 2002, 15:59:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Anybody like Iain Banks Fiction books? My Rush following seems to have run side by side with the releases of his books. The Wasp factory, The Bridge , The Crow road and Complicity are amongst his best IMO.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Stewart

Not read any of his books, but I saw the BBC adaptation of "the Crow Row" thought it was great, and I'm trying to find it on DVD!

Ashley

That's like watching Pride & Prejudice on video insrtead of reading the classic book, just because Kate - look at my firm young boobs - Winslett is in it!  ;)

What would 'the Professor' say about that?  :o

Nick

Stewart,

You must read the wasp factory or complicity, he is a Scottish writer after all, actually come to think of it you may enjoy "Espedair street" about a rock band!
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Reg

No.  Not read any Iain Banks.  This is the non-sci-fi name used by Iain M. Banks isn't it?

I've read some of Iain M. Banks sci-fi tho - extremely good.

Things like Inversions and Consider Phlebas.  I've got more of his waiting to be read that I got last Christmas.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Ron

QuoteThat's like watching Pride & Prejudice on video insrtead of reading the classic book, just because Kate - look at my firm young boobs - Winslett is in it!
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Stewart

QuoteThat's like watching Pride & Prejudice on video insrtead of reading the classic book, just because Kate - look at my firm young boobs - Winslett is in it!

Ron

October 20, 2002, 18:41:21 pm #7 Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 02:16:33 am by Stewart
QuoteIs she?!

And one more DVD of Pride and Prejudice will be sold soon!
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Stewart

And one more DVD of Pride and Prejudice will be sold soon!

Graham K

I haven't read his books, but I enjoyed a few pints with him in Edinburgh back in the 80s when he visited the Edinburgh University Sci Fi Soc. He seemed a down-to-earth, likeable kind of blokey-bloke bloke. My clearest memory of the evening's conversation is of his descriptions of his passion for nocturnal drunk driving whilst living in rural England... Of course we're all much older and wiser now.  ;)
Toronto 1976 (in my dreams)
Ingliston 1981, 1983
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013...
Denver 2002
London 2004

Chris Quartly

I heard that the Wasp Factory is ghory, if so I want it! ;D
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Mark_Williams

The Wasp Factory is an excellent book

remember it's Iain M Banks and Iain Banks for two different styles

Slim

QuoteAnybody like Iain Banks Fiction books? My Rush following seems to have run side by side with the releases of his books. The Wasp factory, The Bridge , The Crow road and Complicity are amongst his best IMO.

I read The Wasp Factory a few years ago .. fantastic.  About three years ago, maybe four .. I read Complicity as well.  Very good, but not quite so much to my taste as The Wasp Factory.

I bought a collection of his Iain M Banks stuff - the sci-fi stuff he does - but wasn't quite so impressed.  Very, very imaginative, but somehow not that interesting.

Slim

Mark_Williams

you're just so hard to please

Jon M

Iain Banks is excellent.
Feersum Enjinn is a good one for a first timer.

Cheers
Jon M

Is it Living? or...Just existence....YEAH YOU!