Literary Annoyance

Started by andyhaines, March 09, 2008, 09:52:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

andyhaines

March 09, 2008, 09:52:30 am Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:57:17 am by andyhaines
I was in Tesco yesterday and I was amazed by the number of similar best-selling books. It seems that nowadays if you want a book published you have to meet the following criteria:

* An autobiography of your childhood.
* You must have been physically, mentally or sexually abused (preferably all three).
* Your parents/guardians, as well as being perverts, should also have been either alcoholics or drug addicts.
* Alternatively, you could have been brought up in some weird religious cult.
* A physical or mental disability would be a bonus.

Now I know many people have unbelievably difficult childhoods; and the fact they have survived and made a success of their lives, is wholly admirable. But...who the feck reads all this stuff! Voyeuristic sadism for the masses?

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

JonL

I am of exactly the same ipoinion and have said the same thing for years.

A Boy Named David was the first of the big successes, and as usual, all the other puiblishers follow suit.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

andyhaines

Funnily enough, after making my original post I've just read an article in today's Observer that ridicules the genre (sad to say that "genre" is now applicable to these books). The article highlights the one-upmanship nature of these books..."You think you had a hard time? Well let me tell you..." sort of thing. Please Daddy, Not My Hamster was a suggested title for someone's next book. ::)

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

JonL

QuoteFunnily enough, after making my original post I've just read an article in today's Observer that ridicules the genre (sad to say that "genre" is now applicable to these books). The article highlights the one-upmanship nature of these books..."You think you had a hard time? Well let me tell you..." sort of thing. Please Daddy, Not My Hamster was a suggested title for someone's next book. ::)

Like you (and most of us) I wouldn't belittle what these people went through (I'm assuming no one would be crass enough to make this up), but it has now reached a stage where the books are being ridiculed, which is awful really.
But, that's what overkill does.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Eric B

Like you (and most of us) I wouldn't belittle what these people went through (I'm assuming no one would be crass enough to make this up), but it has now reached a stage where the books are being ridiculed, which is awful really.
But, that's what overkill does.

Unfortunately - we do have a few recent examples of people making this stuff up - which further erodes the status of the genre.