Author Topic: Comics  (Read 10976 times)

Chris Quartly

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • "It's business time"
    • Some Other Sucker's Parade
Re: Comics
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 23:01:22 PM »
Currently reading The Walking Dead first compendium

Seriously good stuff. Read recently that they're going to turn it into a TV show too...
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:

Q's Comps

Some Other Suckers Parade

Presto-digitation

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 21:41:19 PM »
I was a pretty big collector (mostly Marvel) from around '75-90.  Anyone looking to score a copy of Amazing Spider-Man # 3 drop me a line.  :)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
I used to read war comics as a kid - especially the smaller format magazine type like Commando but also bigger, weekly comics. Can't remember the titles now but they could be pretty grim considering they were aimed at kids - I remember one First World War story in which a young private is summarily executed by his commanding officer for falling asleep on guard one time too many at the front, and a story in which soldiers trapped in a cave draw straws to decide the next to leave the cave and be shot by the Germans waiting outside, while they think of a plan to overcome them. Dark stuff.

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 20:40:37 PM »
I used to read war comics as a kid - especially the smaller format magazine type like Commando but also bigger, weekly comics. Can't remember the titles now but they could be pretty grim considering they were aimed at kids - I remember one First World War story in which a young private is summarily executed by his commanding officer for falling asleep on guard one time too many at the front, and a story in which soldiers trapped in a cave draw straws to decide the next to leave the cave and be shot by the Germans waiting outside, while they think of a plan to overcome them. Dark stuff.

Victor was the one I used to get regularly, think there was Hotspur as well. Victor was highly educational, teaching me my first words of German; Schnell, Achtung! and Hande Hoch ;D ;)

ophidianman

• TNMS Member
  • Lunatics and Monsters underneath my bed.
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 21:12:18 PM »
Victor was the one I used to get regularly, think there was Hotspur as well. Victor was highly educational, teaching me my first words of German; Schnell, Achtung! and Hande Hoch ;D ;)

Heh, heh. Not to forget 'Schweinhund' and the funniest 'Donner und Blitzen'!!

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
Anyone going to be buying the final edition of the Dandy this week?
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
Anyone going to be buying the final edition of the Dandy this week?
yes thought about that myself..purely on the value it may be in a few years time :)
From the Land of Honest Men.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
I suppose if I see it in WH Smith I might do. I used to read it every week at one time. Sign of the times.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
I suppose if I see it in WH Smith I might do. I used to read it every week at one time. Sign of the times.

The publisher of one of the world's longest-running children's comics, The Dandy, has confirmed plans to stop printing the title.

DC Thomson said printing would end with a special edition released on the comic's 75th anniversary on 4 December.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
Used to like The dandy when I was a kid, but not as much as The beano which I had delivered every week, and I was also in the Dennis the menace fan club. Used to have Whizzer and chips, Whoopee and Tiger as well, along with Shoot! and Match weekly.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
yeah i got Shoot...  remember the league cards with great fondness..

from wikipedia...
The weekly magazine was also known for its annual free gift of "Shoot League Ladders". This consisted of a thin card sheet on which were printed blank league tables for each division of The Football League, with a slit in the card alongside each position on the tables. Also given away were T-shaped "tabs" for each club in the league (printed in the appropriate team colours) which could be fitted into the slits to indicate where each team currently stood in the league table. As the season progressed and teams moved up and down the table, their tabs could be moved to new slits accordingly. Old league ladders are still regularly sold on eBay

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:38:28 AM by Fishy »

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »

from wikipedia...
The weekly magazine was also known for its annual free gift of "Shoot League Ladders". This consisted of a thin card sheet on which were printed blank league tables for each division of The Football League, with a slit in the card alongside each position on the tables. Also given away were T-shaped "tabs" for each club in the league (printed in the appropriate team colours) which could be fitted into the slits to indicate where each team currently stood in the league table. As the season progressed and teams moved up and down the table, their tabs could be moved to new slits accordingly. Old league ladders are still regularly sold on eBay

Yeh, remember those well, and the Figurine panini sticker albums.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »
Whizzer and Chips .. happy days. Although to be honest I can't remember a single comic strip. You used to get free things with it sometimes - that's what I remember. Plastic toys and big chews.

Another one I really liked was Countdown - that was a high quality affair printed on glossy paper, that among other things featured Gerry Anderson TV shows like UFO in comic strip form.

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
Anybody who kept their league ladders updated for more than two weeks of the season was clearly suffering from OCD even at that age...

Blastzone

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Another Jack Daniels please
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 16:13:32 PM »

from wikipedia...

Brilliant!!
Used to get those league ladders and do my own leagues with scores rolled by a dice....a six was no score
Always used to fiddle it though, to get the jam tarts to the top of the league  :)
Mon the Jambos