McCarthy's Bar

Started by Ashley, June 24, 2003, 15:24:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Sheehan

The bar on the cover is in the middle of Castletownbere, at the Square. This is where I'm from the pub. You still have to pass 5 other pubs to get to it but it is my local. Always packed in the summer with tourists. The father of the owner of the pub has written a book called "a Doctors War" about his time as a captive of the Japs during the second world war and how he was saved from the atom bomb because he was underground because he was a doctor.
"Yes, actually my Dad's name was Billy Sheehan"

Tom Garrett

September 07, 2003, 05:00:28 am #16 Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 21:05:02 pm by Tom Garrett
i"ll definitely have to check it out next time i"m down there 8)
meet you there for a couple of pints paul.
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Paul Sheehan

OK, we'll take a photo of you standing at the doorway with the ugly Pug dog and I'll sit by the window with a pint of the black stuff. But there is no way I'm putting a Nuns dress on, well not after only one pint.  ;D
Loads of people get their photo taken now outside the pub. She must be making a packet from the free publicity from the book.

Slim

QuoteBut there is no way I'm putting a Nuns dress on, well not after only one pint.

Absolutely - you don't want to get into the habit.

Paul Sheehan

lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao
Nice one Slim.
There is actually a slight Rush connection to this. My two friends in Ireland that are big Rush fans are slightly connected to McCarthys Bar. There are T shirts for sale of the picture of the bar and these were designed by one of my friends and my other friend works for the sister of the owner of the bar.
i did say it was slight.  :)

Tom Garrett

September 09, 2003, 04:28:29 am #20 Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 21:03:34 pm by Tom Garrett
QuoteShe must be making a packet from the free publicity from the book.

definitly, even got a good plug on  the late late show .
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Paul Sheehan

Quotelmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao
Nice one Slim.
There is actually a slight Rush connection to this. My two friends in Ireland that are big Rush fans are slightly connected to McCarthys Bar. There are T shirts for sale of the picture of the bar and these were designed by one of my friends and my other friend works for the sister of the owner of the bar.
i did say it was slight.

Paul Sheehan

I finally got to finish this. Mind you I did cheat a bit as I got the audio tape version out of the library.

Haven't laughed as much in ages.

Can easily recomend it.

Nïckslïkk2112

'Tis indeed a very good read, bought it when it came out, laughed so much that Mrs S hoped thought I was dying. Made me long to vist the land of my ancestors too, but still not got round to it :-/
Can recommend the follow up the road to McCarthy too. Not as funny as McCarthy's bar, but a good read nonetheless
Legend in my own Mind

Paul Sheehan

They altered the pub's name for the cover of the book from MacCarthy's to McCarthy's bar.

cabria

you should try Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawkes