Lynch On Lynch

Started by Matt2112, September 29, 2005, 02:22:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

September 29, 2005, 02:22:43 am Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 02:24:29 am by Matt2112
As David Lynch is my favourite film director, I was delighted when I happened upon this book, edited by Chris Rodley, as I browsed through the library.

Basically it is a series of interviews with the man himself about his upbringing, education and work up to and including the film Lost Highway.

True to Lynch form, there are no definitive "answers" regarding what his work is actually about, or explanations of the weirder aspects of his films, as it is stressed from the outset that linear plotting is not half as much of a concern as creating a mood in the viewer.

Anyway, overall it's a very good book that otherwise has some astute analysis and provides a fascinating insight into a man who I consider a bona fide genius, albeit a slightly bonkers one.

Incidentally, I'd also recommend The Complete Lynch by David Hughes, which offers a superbly comprehensive appraisal of the maestro's work up to and including Mulholland Dr.   :)
The keys to happiness