first editions

Started by Bob, December 22, 2004, 00:43:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Today I visited an amazing bookshop with the nicest people who were kind enough to let me look at some books I would of gladly parted money with to own.

I held the first print of Harry Potter and the philospher's stone which is worth

Tom Garrett

i found a lot of very old books in storage here, they came from an old cousin's house after she died. i'm seriously going to check them out now. ;)
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Reg

I do, kind of, Bob.

But more exactly, I collect the works of certain authors.  Well all right, 2 authors.

I'm collecting Stanley G. Weinbaum, an early science fiction author (see wanted thread.  I already have all of his works in one form or another, but am now trying to track down first editions of the books, and to collect the pulp magazines where his stories first appeared.

Oddities I've got of his include Lunaria and Other Poems of which I have 2 mint copies out of the 200 that were published (I haven't read these) and also a dramatised Radio broadcast version of his first, and most famous story, A Martian Odyssey on cassette.  This is a commercial release (published 1997), still available here

I've also got a graphic comic version of A Martian Odyssey which I only discovered this year.

Also I have started collecting a more modern author - Alastair Reynolds.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

BaldiePete

QuoteI do, kind of, Bob.

But more exactly, I collect the works of certain authors.  Well all right, 2 authors.

I'm collecting Stanley G. Weinbaum, an early science fiction author (see wanted thread.  I already have all of his works in one form or another, but am now trying to track down first editions of the books, and to collect the pulp magazines where his stories first appeared.

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide