A Nice Morning's Drive (Red Barchetta)

Started by Reg, February 11, 2004, 00:30:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Well, I disagree.  I'm actually NOT overly fond of Rush's 'heavier' tracks in general, and the heavier tunes of recent years - Virtuality, One Little Victory for example - are out and out stinkers.

Granted Test For Echo's title track could be called 'heavy' but not the excellent Carve Away The Stone, nor the marvellous Totem.

The reason I prefer those tracks to throwaway crap like Bravado, The Pass, Dreamline is because there's something interesting and rewarding going on in the songwriting - Carve Away The Stone for example is a wonderful, inspired little piece that comes alive in its performance.

Phil_Slater

C'mon, Slim, they're just a different sort of song. Crafted in a different way.

Without doubt songs such as Carve Away The Stone are awesome (to coin a phrase!), even the irregular timing within that song is more than many rock bands could even understand, let alone be tight and disciplined enough to execute, but that's possibly true of Resist as well.

I think probably, for me, the lyrics are at least as important as the music in a song and maybe Rush's quieter tracks have the more poignant words, which is why I feel a little protective of them.

Rush (in my opinion) have the ability to put valuable, meaningful lyrics into clever sophisticated rock musical arrangements, often with a very good melody. They do it fairly consistently and that's rare.

BTW Test For Echo is one of my faves. I think it's underrated by many.

Phil ;)

Slim

February 26, 2004, 19:53:51 pm #32 Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 21:57:09 pm by Slim
QuoteC'mon, Slim, they're just a different sort of song. Crafted in a different way.

C'mon Phil - that's just an excuse for a weak song.  The likes of Bravado, Resist, The Pass are simply shallow, and no amount of spin about being 'different' (which in general terms they certainly aren't anyway, they are very banal and run-of-the-mill) is going to change that.

Different from classic Rush material yes, but not in a good way :)

Phil_Slater

Agree to differ here I think. :)

On the Rush in Rio DVD Neil Peart does say that the band consider The Pass to be one of their better crafted songs.

So, I'm with Neil on that one!! ;)

Phil

Bruce_Macgregor

Phil, welcome to TNMS.

Allow me to introduce you to Slim....Oh! You've already met.

Slim

QuoteAgree to differ here I think. :)

"agree to differ"? :-/  

What does that entail?  Can anyone explain - thanks!

Phil_Slater

Slim

My musical taste is rather broad actually Phil!  Unlike my physical appearance, which is, indeed - slim 8)

Mark_Williams

Quotenor the marvellous Totem.

Ahhhh Totem - Bliss  :D

Str0se

March 25, 2004, 18:22:57 pm #39 Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 18:24:50 pm by Str0se
To get slightly back on topic

Slim

Quoteand to Slim - the good thing about The Pass & Bravado is the vocal melody - it might not be typical of Rush, but I personally find it very moving - and thats certainly not something I'd usually say about Geddy's singing (Alex's guitar is entirely another matter).

Sure, both have pleasant vocal melodies, like a lot of shallow AOR radio fodder - no argument there.

QuoteHowever, I am not trying to convince you - I know your opinions are strong ones, even if they are wrong  ::)

::)

JonL

I thought Exit Stage Left was a reference to a cartoon character called Snagglepuss. Whenever he got into trouble he ran off shouting Exit Stage Left/Right (whichever way he ran). I seem to remember Geddy telling Geoff Barton about this in an old Sounds interview. Or maybe thats just advancing decrepitude.

Nope you are correct. they wanted to have Snagglepuss' tail on the edge of the sleeve design, but Hanna Barbera wanted too much money apparently.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.