Stephen Fry Making History

Started by Ashley, October 09, 2003, 14:17:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Ok peeps.

This book to start reviews on 27 December.

Bez

Read it when it first came out - excellent, you'll enjoy !
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Ashley

Just started this one, he writes as he talks which was tricky to start with, but I'm getting the hang of it now.

Slim

QuoteJust started this one, he writes as he talks which was tricky to start with, but I'm getting the hang of it now.

I know what you mean - but it's in the first person, made from the point of view of a character who is supposed to be a bit young & naive and doesn't take things too seriously.  It's not all in that vein, by the way.  Hope you enjoy it!

Sean

Okey-dokey, I've finished Excession and posted my review.

I shall be starting on Making History over the next day or two.

Ron

I'm still lagging some 100 pages, I'm afraid.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ashley

QuoteI'm still lagging some 100 pages, I'm afraid.

Ron the old lag! Couldn't have put it better myself  ;D

Ron

Ron the old lag! Couldn't have put it better myself

Crewe

Ashley

Actually finished Making History a few days ago, am now almost done with 'Stupid White Men'

Will review Excession & Making History soon I promise! But not until after YYZ & Anthem's gigs this weekend. ;D

Ashley

Good read, but has it's flaws all the same.

Where to start?

Took a good while for me to get into this, mainly because of his style of using alternate chapters to tell 3 or 4 tales at once at the start of the book. Also, the bloke writes in the same style as he speaks, and that again can be difficult to grasp as his style is slightly irritating.

Once I got the hang of that technique, I found it to be an enjoyable book to read. The Dunblane bit completely threw me, and for a while I was quite disturbed trying to understand why he threw that in at that point, but of course it becomes blatently clear soon after.

I did like the time travel idea, it seemed a fun way of exploring possible parallel universes in the US etc., and gave Fry plenty of scope to try out his theory of different outcomes of WWII.

However, the ending was a bit trite, and I feel let the book down somewhat.

Not the best book I've read in the past 6 months, but certainly not the worst either.

Ron

Finished the book this afternoon (that's what you get when you can't play with your balls, eh lol)

I have to agree with Ash, nice book, nice topic to study. Ending was a bit pants indeed, which took the book down a little. I didn't mind the alternating chapters, quite used to that.
I really liked the time travelling and alternate outcome of WWII, well thought out in my opinion.

All in all, a nice book to read, which I will recommend to someone else, if required.

Crewe