Holiday Reading

Started by Ashley, August 04, 2002, 16:53:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

40 stone lighter thasn you still!

Now can we get back to the subject matter in hand.

Bloody Mark W  makes appearances as rare as Neil Peart in a UK Rush fans forum, and he just takes over!!!

Mark_Williams

40 stone lighter thasn you still!

Now can we get back to the subject matter in hand.

Bloody Mark W

Analog RH

Sean

August 28, 2003, 13:54:30 pm #48 Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 13:54:53 pm by Sean
QuoteTook 4 and nearly finished them all.

Dan Simmons - The Rise of Edymion
Great ending to the Hyperion series.

Ron

I've just started reading Dan Simmons new SF novel Ilium

Bob

Oh just read through all the conversation and I'm scared to post its all very intense and intellectual ;)

Anyway not sure if what I read would interest anyone but heres what I've got on the go now:

Drive by Shootings by David Bradford
Hes a taxi driver who whilst out on fares takes photos of NYC. Its an amazing in-sight into the Big Apple because his photos are not just about the tourist attractions but rather real life. He writes really well about his love of the place, makes me want to go and not just shop ;)

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
I'm not a religious person but this book is beautifully written. Its about Dinah the daughter of Jaccob (Genesis) and though one sentance is set aside in the bible for her, the autor has created a whole book about her life (fictitious of course) from her birth and how the women come together in the red tent to celebrate life and death and how the men react socially to their wives and labours. I'm not normally moved by books but this really struck a cord :)

I'm just about to start Mr Nice by Howard Marks and as I've never read anything by him this is going to be interesting :)

Hope I didn't bore you too much :)

Ashley

Bob, welcome to this part of the site. It's certainly nice to see someone in your house is capable of reading a book without pictures!  ;D

I read Mr Nice a couple of years ago, and it is a very good read. I'd certainly be interested to hear your thoughts on the book & Mr Marks.

Don't worry, we always tell people if they become boring, you're doing fine.

Bob

Cheers! ;)

I'm not really a Chaucer reader and I read enough Shakespsear at school. I haven't really read much stuff stuff, I've always loved Myths and Legends and fairy tales (like Brothers Grimm) not childhood fairy tales but stories out of India and SOuth America.
Tolkien is my favorite author I started reading the Lord of the Rings when I was 9 and now I pretty much own all his books. For me the Rings is excellent but the other stories of Middle Earth are better :D

Yeah I'll let you know what I think of Mr Nice ;)

Ron

QuoteOh just read through all the conversation and I'm scared to post its all very intense and intellectual ;)

Well, maybe you shouldn't ask us for any book reports on these books. lmao

The Taxi book sounds interesting indeed. I'll make a note of that one.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Bob

The Drive By shootings is a great book, I read alot of art books and graphic design stuff so I bought it as research and found that its amazing not just for resource and photography but just as a general read as well.

I also bought another great book called Graphica Lingua, its about using symbols as a language instead of words.

Ron

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I'll certainly look into those books.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Bez

Just read the latest Iain Banks - Dead Air. If you've not read any Banks before he's well worth checking out. His Sci Fi stuff is good as well, under the name Iain M Banks

Bez
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%