Holiday Reading

Started by Ashley, August 04, 2002, 16:53:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

QuoteJust finished McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

I have seen that book on a couple of places during my holiday (airport, beach, terras), What's it all about?
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Sean

Just got back from Cyprus having read the following:

Phase Space - Stephen Baxter
Origin - Stephen Baxter
One of Us - Michael Marshall Smith (Very funny - read it!!)
Weaveworld - Clive Barker (the umpteenth time I've read it, biut it gets better every time)
Foundation's Triumph - David Brin

Reg

I have seen that book on a couple of places during my holiday (airport, beach, terras), What's it all about?

A guy called Pete McCarthy (the author) travelling to the west of Ireland, starting off with the ferry from Wales (where I live!) and his adventures/travels there.  Full of real Irish locations and characters - you know, truth is stranger than fiction.  Its written in a very humorous style.  He has a number of travel rules, one of which is, if you find a bar with your name on it, you have to go in for a drink (hence the title, McCarthy's Bar).

This book is a very entertaining read.  I'm looking forward to getting The Road to McCarthy's for Christmas.  Check out www.amazon.co.uk for reviews.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Ron

Thanks for the review Reg. Sounds interesting indeed. Will keep an eye out for it in the bookshops.

Crewe

Ron

Saw the book in Delft today, while waiting for the computer shop to Ghost-copy my amnesiac harddisk. Bought it, so it will be in reading rotation sometime soon.

Crewe

Ashley

Well I did think of splicing this topic to another one, but decided against it!

Amazing to look at the same books recommended a year on!

Holiday reading anyone?

Ashley

QuoteJust finished McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

So where is your review Reggie baby?

Slim

QuoteAfter reading Masked Rider a couple of years ago, it made me want to start keeping a journal. Which I finally got round to buying a few months ago. And the weird thing is that I just don't get round to putting anything in it! It's more or less empty and I don't think I'll continue with it. I guess making if you start getting into a rythm then it's great but I don't seem to be able to do that.

Sorry to reply to this a year after you typed it, but anyway:  I think it's worth keeping a diary of some sort, even if you only make brief entries - for one thing it's nice to put a date to a memory at a later time, or to see what you were doing a year ago.  Of course some of us do keep diaries of a kind in Admins & Moderators Musings, and that serves the same purpose, I guess.  I also use a program called jpilot which is actually a Pilot PDA manager / syncer - with a nice diary GUI built in.  Of course you can sync all the diary entries to the Pilot and keep them up to date when you're away from the PC.  I don't make an entry every day, but today's entry for example:

QuoteHottest day on record in England : 38 C recorded in Kent.

Install M9.1.  Nice and easy.
Man Utd beat Arsenal on penalties in the Community Shield at Cardiff, in an ill-tempered game - Jeffers sent off.

2nd series of 24 ends - top stuff

What I really want to do is to write an autobiographical story of the last ten years of my life.  I will do it one day, it will probably be called Full Circle.  Shame I'm not an internationally renowned drummer really, because it would be a fair bit more interesting than Ghost Rider frankly, and it will probably never be published.

Ashley

Good ol' Slim, don't you just love a positive attitude?  ;)

Sean

Dan Simmons - The Rise of Endymion
Great ending to the Hyperion series.

Sorry about the delay in noticing this   :-[

The Hyperion/Endymion quartet IMHO are probably the best series of science fiction books in the last twenty years (closely followed by Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series) - if you haven't read them I wholeheartedly recommend them for the imaginative storylines, depth of characterisation and above all creating a universe that is realistic, wonderful and disturbing in equal measure.  

Marvellous examples of what happens when truly great writers turn their hand to Sci-Fi. :)

Analog RH

Controversial this might be, but try Jeffrey Archer

Sean

QuoteControversial this might be, but try Jeffrey Archer

Slim

QuoteSorry AP, but I've read a couple of his books and IMO Archer is to writing what East/West are to marketing.   ;D

I think he's actually a rather good writer in a simple, light / storytelling sort of way, and it's obviously very effective or he wouldn't have sold squillions of books.

As light political fiction goes, First Among Equals is actually very good in my opinion.

Sean

Ultimate proof that squillions of people are wrong and I'm right   ;D

I think the phrase "light political fiction" is a perfect description of Archer's work - and the point at which he loses me as an audience.  Just not my bag, baby.   ;)

Slim

August 19, 2003, 03:03:17 am #29 Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 03:05:36 am by Slim

I think the phrase "light political fiction" is a perfect description of Archer's work - and the point at which he loses me as an audience.  Just not my bag, baby.   ;)

Me neither, I don't really find it very satisfying, but there's nothing wrong with it.

After reading Analog's post this morning, I picked up a copy of Archer's Prison Diaries (vol 1) in Waterstones.  Interesting read so far, only read 7 or 8 pages though.

An interesting character, to say the least.  I have very little sympathy for him at all, frankly and my enjoyment of his diaries is likely to be impaired by the fact that I simply won't actually believe a lot of it.  He's already hinted that he's innocent, about three pages in.  

I had an appointment two minutes walk from the Old Bailey on the day he was sentenced, and I went along to get a first hand view of all the hubbub outside.  Now as a matter of fact I'm not one of those who buys into the wholesale vilification of Archer that has been fashionable in this country for about fifteen years, but I followed his court case quite closely, and became quite angry at the way he'd clearly perverted the course of justice to save his own skin, even screwing a newspaper for