Holiday Reading

Started by Ashley, August 04, 2002, 16:53:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

It's that time of the year again folks!

Can anyone recommend a couple of books to read?

My two recommendations for you all are:-

1) Frank Skinner - Autobiography - absolutely hilarious, and very moving at times. Not everyones cup of tea, but I loved it.

2) Flashman - any one of them - brilliant books, and he's an absolute c..t. I've only read the first 2 as my reading tends to  be dictated by whatever I fancy there and then rather than any pattern, but I'll be onto volume 3 within the month.

Ron

August 04, 2002, 18:10:46 pm #1 Last Edit: August 04, 2002, 18:11:06 pm by Ron
Gee, millions to suggest, I suppose.

I liked The Road to Mars by Eric Idle as a nice holiday read.
The current book I am reading, Abbyssinian Chronicles by Moses Isegawa, is a great read too, but maybe a tad overweight (600+ pages) to carry along.
I like the books by Roddy Doyle as well.

Dan Simmons or Roger Zelazny if you are more into SciFi.

I know a great series of books in Dutch, but I don't know how rusty your Dutch is.

Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch is a nice read too (I assume it is translated in English).

How many suitcases will you take with you??
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ashley

My Dutch is fantastic - Edam / Gouda!

Keep it up though young man, and you too will reach the lofty heights of the stars (as long as you carry the favour of The Mighty One).

Ron

Well, I'm full too and been elevated to the three star elite in this group.

BTW, I intend to take some Hemingway with me on my holiday to Greece (among loads of other books, I might add).
Never read anything by him yet (yes I know, shame on me), but I will catch up soon.

Crewe

Ashley

I've never read Hemingway either (and not ashamed).

It is physically impossible to read 'everything on the A list', unless you have tons of spare time, no money worries (drummers anyone), or are a Professor of Literature.

I have read John Steinbecks Of Mice & Men which I heartily recommend, also Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

But I'm sure you and I will both get round to hemingway, and Tennessee Williams, and all of the others!

Chris Quartly

Have you finished Masked Rider yet? And if so what did you think?

3 Personal favourites of mine:
American Psycho
The Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Ashley

Still on with it mate, but really enjoying it.

Neils style is very readable.

I was wondering about his note taking methods from both books. Like how does he take notes, does he stop & write notes during breathers, or does he have a dictaphone etc. His descriptions are quite vivid, and I can't believe he has it all in his head.

From what I've seen of Neil speaking (A Work In Progress), he does seem to write in a similar style to the way he speaks.

Mark_Williams

Just started Ghost Rider - does anyone know whether Neil will now consider finishing or publishing the book he started before thr tragedies about his biking travels during the TFE tour?

I agree witht his style of writing -very eay and readable -I know if one has an interest in something e.g. Rush -they will want to read such a book, but even though I've only just started it -it really is an easy book to get into and very accessible and right from the start you get insights into Neil's character and make up, strangths, weaknesses and vices

Great stuff - more please Drum God

Ron

During my travels, I tend to make written notes at convenient points on the journey. For instance when having a break during a hike or having a drink on a terrace or in a bar. And at night you have quite some time to expand on your notes.

Steinbeck is a great read indeed, both Of mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath. J.D. Salinger is a nice one too. To Kill a Mockingbird was my holiday read last year in Canada.
Masked Rider is great travel reading. Read it a couple of years back in the US.

And yep, you need loads of free time to read all that's on the A list.

But I certainly intend to impressively work my way through it.
Of course, I have to draft my own A list for this..  :D

Crewe

Chris Quartly

After reading Masked Rider a couple of years ago, it made me want to start keeping a journal. Which I finally got round to buying a few months ago. And the weird thing is that I just don't get round to putting anything in it! It's more or less empty and I don't think I'll continue with it. I guess making if you start getting into a rythmn then it's great but I don't seem to be able to do that.

Then again, I haven't been cycling around africa or motorcycling accross North America!  ;D
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Ashley

You're right, you really do need a strict regime to keep a diary or journal going, and we all know what Neil is like for his regimes!

Ron

I only keep my journal during holidays. And yes, it does take some discipline to maintain it. Or to work it into a full story after the trip.

Crewe

Ashley

So now we mostly have returned from our Holidays, what did you all think of the books you took?

Personally, I took 8 books for my 2 weeks, and ended up only being able to read 2 of them!

Anyway:-

Tomcat in Love - Tim O' Brien.
Excellent read this one. Very good easy to read style, and full of twists & turns in the plot. Quite descriptive and very funny.
The main character is quite a clever bastard and he knows it which leads to some hilarious moments. Unputdownable at times go get it.

The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow
This one I found to be quite a slow read. But once I got into it, I did enjoy it. I didn't find as much empathy with the main character, but enjoyable all the same. I think the most interesting part for me to read whas when they were in Mexico, but then he did get around a lot! Also, it was interesting to see how the characters from the start of the book kept cropping up time & again, although some of them kept meeting up all over the world which was stretching artistic license a bit! Go get it, but concentrate when you read it!

So what can we all recommend then?

Ron

Took 4 and nearly finished them all.

Dan Simmons - The Rise of Edymion
Great ending to the Hyperion series.

Geert Mak - The Angel of Amsterdam
Collection of essays on the belly side of Amsterdam. Very nice read indeed. But I guess you need to learn Dutch to read it. Would be surprised if it was translated.

V.S. Naipaul - A Turn in the South
Great travel book to discover some interesting stuff about the south of the US.

T. Coraghessan Boyle - World's End
Still reading that one. Well over halfway through.

Crewe

Reg

Just finished McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

You will laugh.  I did.

Asked for the sequel, The Road to McCarthy, for Xmas.

Also recently read some other non-fiction, which is strange for me, I'm normally a fiction man -

Touching the Void - by Joe Simpson, the story of a real-life mountaineering accident when Joe had his rope cut by his climbing partner.  Gripping stuff.  I've got another by him, This Game of Ghosts waiting to be read.

An African In Greenland - by Tete-Michel Kpomassie.  The story (self-told) of the first coloured guy to set foot in Greenland and his adventures there.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide