Amsterdam

Started by AndyG, September 17, 2007, 16:22:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyG

September 17, 2007, 16:22:09 pm Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 16:22:28 pm by AndyG
Off there for 4 days next week. Really looking forward to going back as it's such a great place - for many reasons! Blimey - last time I was there was a while back now (15 years).

Spirit of Rich

You're right Andy, it's a fantastic city.

Just a couple of places to eat & drink that i'd recommend are the De Pieper brown cafe on Prinsengracht, an unassuming but very friendly little bar and also on Prinsengracht (but on the other side) is a Brazilian restaurant called Iguazu. They do these chargrilled steaks and bloody hell, I have never tasted steak like it anywhere in the world.
You know how that rabbit feels........

Thenop

QuoteReichsmuseum

Go wash out your mouth with soap.

Oh and if you go there (Rijksmuseum) I believe they added a new wing.
Also, before you go check www.paradiso.nl to see if there's anything good playing. if there's even a half decent band go check out the venue. It is the most beautiful venue in Holland. It's an old church and holds about 1,500 (?) people...great place!
Arrogance Is Bliss

Ron

The Van Gogh museum (very close to the Rijksmuseum) is beautiful, just like the Stedelijk Museum. If you like modern architecture, check out the Oosterdok area. A newly developed area of the city, with a lot of nice architecture. Well worth a stroll around that block.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Reg

Whilst I was working out there, one of our favourite haunts (for food) was Humphreys, not too far from Central station.  They have a set menu with 4 or 5 choices for each course which they change every month.  Fantastic grub.

Should be a link somewhere . . .hang on. . . . http://www.humphreys.nl/
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

mark_kennedy

Was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago, loved it.

Was there in February and didn't like it all, found it very intimidating and that was in a group of seven - don't know why I found it like that.

Am going back in December to see Marillion do two nights at the Paradiso, really looking forward to it.

Dods

September 21, 2007, 17:58:42 pm #6 Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 17:59:04 pm by Dods
QuoteWas in Amsterdam a few weeks ago, loved it.

But prices are going to be rising mate

mark_kennedy

Damn !

Not that it matters now, but when we were there in February, the wife said I could have a get out of jail free card for the Red Light District.

:)

AndyG

October 10, 2007, 10:15:48 am #8 Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:16:19 am by AndyG
Cheers for the replies. Apologies for my spelling...
We had a great time in the city. The Paradiso was indeed visted - twice- as the original reason for going was to see The Tragcially Hip playing in there. Great little venue, and two amazing shows.
The Jordaan was wandered around for an afternoon, combined with a visit to the unspeakably moving Anne Frank house/museum.
We were staying right on the Amstel near the 'skinny bridge' and turns out the area just over the river from us had a great range of eateries. We managed Indoneasian, tapas and a wonderful Italian.
Van Gough and the Rijksmuseum were both excellent. The latter under repair and having been cut down to a 'greatest hits'.
We kept out of the brown cafes and red light area. No need to go there with all the other wonderful stuff going on in the town. Maybe next time...

Ron

Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

dannyc

Nice trip report.. Will be there next week for a week during the Rotterdam dates

Gman

I love this city, and have been too many times to count, so much so that when I pop my clogs, I'm having my ashes scattered in Vondel Park.........which is the place I'd recommend ;D

Oh, that and the banana bar ;)

Gman

andyhaines

I spent the weekend of my 21st birthday in this city with some friends...best not to go into any details. :-[ ::) ;D

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

dannyc

Good time was had, bit of a culinary desert though need to go with a better list of decent restaurants next time.. Found an awesome place at the bottom of Singel in the end which was packed with locals... Dont expect to get any sleep here though :)