Channel Islands

Started by Analog RH, March 26, 2006, 02:37:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Analog RH

I love Guernsey, me. Spent many a summer there. Have family friends living in the Vale. Favourite places are Petit Bot beach, the old war lookouts at L'Ancresse, the lighthouse at Jerbourg, the chippy at St Samson "bridge", and L Val Des Terres (where they do the awesome car and bike hill climb race on Bank Holidays).

Also love Herm. Swimming off Belvoir Bay......

Sark is cool, but tiring.

Not been to Jersey or Alderney yet, but there's still time.  :)

Ron

One of our holiday plans is to do some island hopping there and a lot of walking.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ali

Herm is stunning - especially if the weather's right  8-)
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid

Nicola B

I spent every year from the age of 12 to 20 on holiday in Guernsey during the summer. Must admit I loved it. We used to go to Pembroke Bay and sunbathe on the 'toastrack', the German built wall around the end of the beach.

I love St Peter Port and have been back a few times since when my eldest daughter was a baby. I would love to go back with the children again......might just do that soon.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...

Ben

Gurnsey,  ;Dlove it, spent our honeymoon there camping, Sues dads a Gurnseyman and we are of there again in May. Favorite places, Saints Bay, the South Coast Walk, Portlet Bay off Pleinmont, Herm (esp Belvoir when the crowds have gone). A fantastic place for children, safe quirky and nowheres too far away. :D Happy memories soon to be rekindled.
'some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies'

Analog RH

BaldiePete

My sister lived on Guensey for a while. We went to visit her there and thought it was great wee island. Her then boyfriend had a boat and one evening we went across to the next island (Herm ?) for a drink and a meal at the hotel near the landing. We all got totally smashed and John had to row out to where the boat was moored, bring it in close so we could leap aboard (and it wasn't a calm sea, I get the hee-bee-gee-bees just thinking about the consequences if Anne (a very poor swimmer) had gone in the water).

Analog RH

QuoteMy sister lived on Guensey for a while. We went to visit her there and thought it was great wee island. Her then boyfriend had a boat and one evening we went across to the next island (Herm ?) for a drink and a meal at the hotel near the landing. We all got totally smashed and John had to row out to where the boat was moored, bring it in close so we could leap aboard (and it wasn't a calm sea, I get the hee-bee-gee-bees just thinking about the consequences if Anne (a very poor swimmer) had gone in the water).

Sounds like you went to the White House on Herm. Great place. :)

BaldiePete

Sounds like you went to the White House on Herm. Great place. :)

That's the place  ;D

Ben

The good memories keep coming :D

The walk to Lihou Island across the causeway and a swim in the Venus pool is not to be missed. The quirkiness of the locals, honesty boxes on the side of the road selling fruit, veg and even home made fudge, Joey the little yellow plane, Dartford Warblers, and the local press which reports everything to the exact minute.

Talking of hidden gems Analog do you know the 'Souffler' blow hole off Pleinmont, fantastic in the right conditions.
'some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies'

Analog RH

QuoteThe good memories keep coming :D
Talking of hidden gems Analog do you know the 'Souffler' blow hole off Pleinmont, fantastic in the right conditions.

Sure do.  8-)

A few more memories:

The island of Jethou, just off Herm. I've always wanted to live there - one house and absolutely nothing else.
The bathing pools (La Vallette?) in St Peter Port, just along from the harbour and Valles de Terres.
The rock pools at Grandes Rocques.

I think I'm going to book a weekend there for later in the year, after the wife has had the baby. ;)

derrydale

I spent many holidays on Jersey & Guernsey, I have no preference between them. Guernsey was much quieter of the two but I enjoyed the walking across the north of the island on Jersey. I have never been to the other islands, but that is something I need to address.

Chris Quartly

April 04, 2006, 11:54:06 am #12 Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 11:54:28 am by Chris_Quartly
went to Jersey many years ago as a kid but all I remember about it was the ferry crossing

I think maybe we went to a zoo?
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Ali

QuoteI think maybe we went to a zoo?

Founded by Gerald Durrell, author of 'My Family and Other Animals' amongst others  ;)
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid

derrydale

Did those dam Canadian geese chase you around the Zoo like they did me?