Car hire abroad

Started by NeilP, June 25, 2006, 12:25:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilP

I usually drive to France for the family holiday in the Loire valley region, but this year we're flying and planning to pick a car up at the airport. I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding people being ripped off with excesses after they've returned the vehicle and I believe it's common to 'swipe' your credit card and charge retrospectively for any damage they claim you've caused to the vehicle.

Has anyone got much experience of car hire overseas and know the pitfalls to be wary of? Can you take out additional insurance to cover these excesses? Is this something extra to Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance?

Any advice would be most welcome. ;)

Nick

Done it many times (using well known names such as Avis, Hertz etc and others i have never heard of). Never had any problems but would recommend you go with the better known names. Always check the car over before you drive off and report any dents / scratches etc to the main desk, sometimes an outline drawing of the car is provided so you can illustrate where the dents are.
Often they will swipe your card and if you do not return the car with a full tank they will charge you a given rate to refill (obvioulsly more than if you filled it up yourself), again the Hertz's of this world will state how much this will cost you when you rent the car.

With the more local renting companies you are probably taking more of a gamble but paying less.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

NeilP

thanks Nick, much appreciated..... as for the rest of you lot... ::)