Brazil

Started by Ashley, December 21, 2005, 13:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Anyone been recently?  ::)

Ron

QuoteAnyone been recently?  ::)

Hehehehe, yep.
See my daily reports in the Dutch section (without subtitles, unfortunately). If there's any interest, I could translate them and post them here.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ashley

Hehehehe, yep.
See my daily reports in the Dutch section (without subtitles, unfortunately). If there's any interest, I could translate them and post them here.

Of course there is silly boy.  ::)

Ron

QuoteOf course there is silly boy.  ::)

I hope someone can protect me from Maria then. ;D

Will start on it later today, don't worry. And it will include copious amounts of food and drink, post office stories and meeting a street hooker. ;)

Crewe

Ron

Monday 12/12:

At my usual time I catch the train to work, I take the same train, but one stop further: Schiphol Airport. I will meet my colleague at 8.30, because our flight to Sao Paulo will depart at 10.40. With my new job, I get to travel business class on intercontinental flights, so I am up for a complete new experience. Check in is fast (short queues for business class). On the way to the business class lounge I buy some cosmetics and perfume. The business class lounge is not a place of peace and quiet. It is loaded with travellers. My colleague and I drink a cup of coffee and chat a little about the upcoming visit to Embraer.

Boarding is quick as well. We have seats 1A and 1C, so we have ample room for our legs. Service in KLMs World Business Class is good, decent food (I

Crewe

Dods

We want more, we want more...... :)

Ron

Don't worry, there will be more. ;)

Crewe

Ron

Tuesday 13/12

Our French colleagues (a test pilot and a flight test engineer) arrive this morning, so our meeting at the Embraer factory starts at 1 pm. This gives us plenty of time to sleep in, have breakfast and do some sightseeing and shopping in the morning.
We agree to meet at 9 am for breakfast.
When I wake up, the sun is already shining and the city is slowly waking up and preparing for another day. The Brazilians seem to have their pace in life nicely adapted to the temperature (nice and slow ;)), but they do work hard because they have long working days (10 hours at work is no exception).

Breakfast is typical hotel buffet style with some egg variations, sausages, lot of juices, rolls, ham, cheese, sweets and all sorts of sweet cakes. Especially the fruits are very, very nice (the papayas are gorgeous) and coffee is very nice as well. Brazilians like their coffee strong, so I am in coffee heaven at breakfast.
My colleague and I slowly eat breakfast and discuss the plans for later today and this week in preparation of our first visit to the factory.

At 10 am I go outside and wander around a little. The city is more or less exactly what I had expected. Chaoticly busy with quite a lot of street vendors (fruit, juices, magazines, illegal copies of CDs and DVDs). The city itself is fairly dull and colourless, a typical latin industrial city. Efficient buildings with no ornaments (read: dull concrete). There are also quite a few high rising apartment buildings, where most of the citizens live. Brazilian economy is growing rapidly, but not everybody is profiting from it, so the people who do grow with the economy and start to make money are afraid of being robbed or worse. These apartmentbuildings all have a security gate which is heavily guarded.
Around the corner from our hotel is an office of the Social Service and every morning there is a large queue of people waiting . You can also see a few older men sitting on the street, selling a few rolls of candy. In short, there is no real economical balance yet in Brazil and from what I heard from the locals, it is quite violent in the cities. Luckily I have nog had that experience on this trip.

On town square, I buy some postcards to send home (and to Wales) and I browse some shops, looking for a nice leather purse or bag for my wife. The shops are chaotic, to say the least. I cannot find some nice and leathery, so I have to think of something else to buy her.
One of the shops is also selling CDs, so I wander over and check out the

Crewe

Ruud

This story looks familiar to me Ron  ;D

Hey now I know, I've seen it before in the Dutch-section  ;D
~ All the world's a stage ~

Ron

QuoteThis story looks familiar to me Ron  ;D

Hey now I know, I've seen it before in the Dutch-section  ;D

Spot the differences. ;D

Crewe

Ron

Wednesday 14/12

I wake up at 5.15. Breakfast is being served from 6 am onwards, so I am able to grab something to eat before we check out. We arranged to leave the hotel at a quarter past six, because our (private) plane leaves at 7 am for Araraquara. Embraer, the Brazilian aircraft manufacturer has a special airport over there, specially equipped for test flights, so our flights will be departing from there.
We leave the hotel slightly later, but we arrive at 7 am sharp at the platform right outside the hangars of the factory. The pilot of our Piper Ceneca is getting us some water, while we wait for our hostess, who is fashionably late at 10 minutes past 7. We buckle up and squeeze in nice and tight. Our luggage just barely fits.

An hour and a half later, we arrive at the Embraer facilities at Araraquara. First stop is the coffee machine, just before we dive straightly into meeting after meeting. We start with discussing the tests for the afternoon, so the flight test engineer can prepare the test cards. When he is off doing his thing, we have time to ourselves to discuss things and prepare for the testflight ourselves. We are called away for lunch, right when we have finished our discussions.
After lunch is it a flight brief, board the airplane and off we go.

Plans are to perform some stalls in flight and do some approaches testing the new system. The on board flight test equipment looks really familiar, since I have worked with it for over 9 years at the flight test equipment department of the National Aerospace Laboratory back in the old days. Nice to see it all back in action.
In the seat right in front of me, a Brazilian engineer is not enjoying the stall trials. The aircraft is not really stabilized during the tests, so things are getting a bit bumpy and heavy on the tummy. With each additional test, his nose pales a bit more and he cramps on to his seat very, very tight. Luckily he doesn

Crewe

Dixkot

Brilliant read Ron, thanks. ;D

Ron

Brilliant read Ron, thanks. ;D

Welcome, thanks.
Two more days to go. ;)

Crewe

Dods

Where is Henk when you need him   ::)

Ashley

"Test stalls"?

As in switching the engines on & off?  :o