The world's best architecture

Started by Ashley, November 28, 2005, 16:11:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Where's yout favourite buildings, both to look at and also to use.

I'm a big fan of La Defense in Paris, great building and exactly in line geographically with The Arc de Triumph and the Champs Elysee. Magnificent.

Tom Garrett

Rome and Milan have some amazing classic architecture, Duomo cathedral in central Milan is simply amazing.the only thing that spoils some of Milan is the mix of classical with some truely awful 60-70's style office and appartmemt blocks. they look so out of place,
what i find most stricking in Rome is the vast number of different styles reflecting the city's developement over the past 2000 years.terrible to see pictures of what that twat Mussolini had bulldozed during his rule. >:(
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Simon_Wooding

Can I assume that The Arndale Centre in Manchester is not a contender? ;D

Spent a week in Andalucia a few weeks back and really liked the Cathedral in Seville - the largest Gothic building in the world, allegedly. Also like La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona by Gaudi.
Citizen of the World

stereoroid

November 29, 2005, 23:20:16 pm #3 Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 23:28:47 pm by stereoroid
QuoteI'm a big fan of La Defense in Paris, great building and exactly in line geographically with The Arc de Triumph and the Champs Elysee. Magnificent.
La Grande Arche? It's on the Axe Historique alright, but did you notice how it's not quite pointing straight back down the Champs-

Dixkot

Ah, a subject close to my heart and one that I have plenty knowledge of [I'm a qualified Architectural Draughtsman]

I am a big admirer of Scottish architect, Charles Rennie MacIntosh, famous for The Glasgow Art School, Scotland Street School & The Queen's Cross Church in Glasgow and The Hill House in Helensburgh.

Glasgow is filled with wonderful sandstone buildings [particularly Alexander 'Greek' Thompsons] as are most Victorian cities in th UK.

Other favourites include, The Scottish Parliament Buliding, La Sagrada Familia & Casa Batllo in Barcelona by Gaudi, The Astronomical Clock on the Old Town Hall in Prague & Durham Cathedral.

I'm also a big fan of churches and castles and enjoy visiting them when I have the chance.

I wandered round Prague's churches earlier this year, much the the mirth of the others [we were on a Stag weekend]

JonL

La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
Started buildong it 120 years ago, and still haven't finished, though I believe it was bombed partially during the Spanish Civil War.
Spectacular building.

Vatican City is a contender also.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

BaldiePete

Other favourites include, The Scottish Parliament Buliding,

I'm not to keen on the exterior (although the front is good). I took a tour and there are a lot of nice touches in the interior but a little to much of the unfinished concrete look about some of it, especially the entrance hall. The debating chamber is superb though.

BaldiePete

Can I count the Forth Bridge. It's my favourite structure

Beebop

If we are allowed bridges,i'd like to nominate this wonder of modern engineering and architechture.

Millau Viaduct, Tarn valley, France

Dixkot

QuoteCan I count the Forth Bridge. It's my favourite structure

Yes, the Forth Bridge is superb. ;D

JonL

QuoteIf we are allowed bridges,i'd like to nominate this wonder of modern engineering and architechture.

Wasn't aware of that one. it's a beauty.

Millau Viaduct, Tarn valley, France
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

pdw1

La Grande Arche? It's on the Axe Historique alright, but did you notice how it's not quite pointing straight back down the Champs-
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

döm

QuoteLa Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
Started buildong it 120 years ago, and still haven't finished, though I believe it was bombed partially during the Spanish Civil War.
Spectacular building.

Amazing place and Gaudi was a truly amazing architect - Parc Guell to the North of the city is fabulous and Barcelona  itself has plenty of examples of his work - La Pedrera and Casa Batllo to name 2

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

December 01, 2005, 05:46:35 am #13 Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:49:35 am by NEILP

not bad is it?

Ron

Yeah, Barcelona with all the amazing stuff by Gaudi is very special indeed. Paris has some lovely buildings and bridges (and I don't mean the Centre Pompidou ;)), just as New York. Berlin I have seen only once or twice and that was on a business trip, but the city looked nice enough on a first glance.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe