Madrid

Started by Dods, November 07, 2005, 14:37:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dods

While I consider myself pretty well travelled, I have never had the oportunity to visit the Spanish capital. I really do not know why it appeals, maybe simply because I have not been.

I do enjoy the majesty of Cathedrals and all that they 'mis-repsresent'. For example, Santiago de Compstella's Cathedral architechture was inspiring. What are the galleries like? Is it friendly or too much a capital city for that?

Come on, give me your experience of Madrid...

Ron

I have been there once on a business trip, so I cannot tell you too much about it.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ashley

Not been myself, but I do fancy Seville, Barcelona and Madrid, so maybe Dods we could sort a week or oso away in 2006.  ;D

Tom Garrett

brother's girlfriend if from Madrid, i'll pm you full details after i talk to him, ;)
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Dods

Quotebrother's girlfriend if from Madrid, i'll pm you full details after i talk to him, ;)
Cool

Dods

QuoteNot been myself, but I do fancy Seville, Barcelona and Madrid, so maybe Dods we could sort a week or oso away in 2006.

Ron

QuoteBeen to Seville & Barca - adored them both. A t-n-m-s Spanish tour  :D

Sounds like fun!! We should also stop in Granada then, visit the Alhambra.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Dods

Sounds like fun!! We should also stop in Granada then, visit the Alhambra.

Is that the palace?

Oh, just googled and yes it is.

But if we would do that then the North West (Santiago de Compostella) is a must  8)

Ashley

So is this a serious option?

Simon_Wooding

November 08, 2005, 17:15:25 pm #9 Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 17:15:46 pm by Simon_Wooding
Quotebut I do fancy Seville, Barcelona

just got back from a week in Andalucia and spent a couple of days in Seville. It is beautiful, and Andalucia is the home of the Tapas bar - really excellent. Just beware of Sheeps Testicals or Brains on the Tapas menu!!

Been to Barcelona previously and would put that up with Paris in terms of culture and sightseeing.
Citizen of the World

Dods

Been to Barcelona previously and would put that up with Paris in terms of culture and sightseeing.

I'd put it well above Paris.

döm

Madrid is a fantastic city.  I lived there for 2 years at the beginning of the nineties and had a fabulous time.

The Madrilenos really know how to have a good time and so many parts of the city are devoted to enjoyment. .

If it's architecture and history you're after it's not that great and Barcelona would be a better option but it is handily placed for the beautiful historical towns of Segovia & Toledo not to mention Avila and the horrific Valley of the Fallen - Franco's huge mauseoleum.

Confession time -  I never went to the Prado so can't comment  :-[
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

I'd put it well above Paris.

No Barcelona is a wonderful city but it can't compete with Paris

döm

Is that the palace?

Oh, just googled and yes it is.

But if we would do that then the North West (Santiago de Compostella) is a must  8)

if you do the North West then as well as Santiago you should visit Santander and San Sebastian as well

Dods

Actually, I quite fancy Bilbao too.

We could get the ferry from Pompey to Bilbao and tour the country  :)

..but we could not possibly miss out Portugal. We could stay at my Villa!

In fact, how about visiting Perpignan in France too. Fond memories of France '98.