"Brought To You By..."

Started by Neillwith2Ls, March 23, 2004, 18:37:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neillwith2Ls

Now, listen. Before you all jump on me and say "this has been discussed before", or "hmpf, don't you know?", please know that I've not seen a thread for this, and have only been here 6 months or so, and may have missed previous discussions  :)

OK...

You know in the liner notes for Rush albums, you get the usual list of thank-you's, the endorsements etc, then at the bottom (usually), you get a "Brought To You By The Letter (insert seemingly random letter here)" I was wondering if anybody knew the significance (if any) of this, and if anyone's catalogued these references in any way?

Has always puzzled my and my mate, and was always one of the things we looked for on a new release. I note that VT is annoyingly "Brought To You By The Letter 3"  ::)
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

JT

I'm pretty sure it started on an album when a lot of the songs began with the same letter. Then it just became an in-joke without any significance whatsoever.

JonL

I'd heard much the same thing.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

cygnusxdave

QuoteI'm pretty sure it started on an album when a lot of the songs began with the same letter. Then it just became an in-joke without any significance whatsoever.

Yep. Power Windows was "brought to you by the letter M". When questioned about it, Lerxst explained that the original phrase was from Sesame Street. But, they co-opted it when they noticed that a few songs on PoW began with M (Middletown Dreams, Marathon, Manhattan Project, Mystic Rhythms).
I talk to planets, Baby!

Neillwith2Ls

March 23, 2004, 19:07:13 pm #4 Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 19:07:59 pm by Neillwith2Ls
Ah, I see... so it's not gradually spelling out anything significant, or warning us not to eat the fish or something?
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

The Letter R

It was taken from Sesame Street as already mentioned - I believe it is no more than a band in joke now - some people take them seriously but we all know they like a good laugh - some people read so much into everything they do and write that I am sure it amuses them that people think there is a higher significance to these sorts of things...brought to you by the letter 3 is a prime example of this. Self amusement I believe and nothing more.
Alex even joked once that there was a secret phone number in the HYF Street scene that if phoned would give the winner $1m !!! - what wags those boys are eh!!??