A wee dram...

Started by Bob, November 19, 2004, 05:18:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

got this for xmas...  fiery but very nice... 8)
From the Land of Honest Men.

Slim

Just trying a snifter of the Distiller's Edition - quite strong tasting, more depth than the regular Talisker, but not as marine or medicinal. Sweet and woody. A little floral. Finished in sherry casks which I usually like, but I think it detracts a bit here. Doesn't have the zing and bite of the regular Talisker.

On its own terms though, I really like this - reminds me a lot of the Yamazaki single malt, albeit a little smoother and more refined - no bad thing at all.

Slim

Quote from: BaldiePete on December 27, 2011, 20:23:52 pm
The  "57 degrees North" is wonderful - smoky and with definite peat, but sweeter than an Islay.

And very powerful. Trying it now. Nice taste, sweet and overpowering but I like my Scotch a bit more quaffable than this. Not really a tentative sipper. Reminds me a lot of a similarly nutter-edition Laphroaig I had a few years back ('Quarter Cask'?)

Reg

I've got the quarter cask Laphroaig.

Sunday night, I treated myself to a Talisker in the bar of the hotel I was staying in.  Very nice.

Barman offered me ice in it.  I said no thanks!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Fishy

Not a dram but been quaffing a fair amount of Sobrano brandy of late

zoony

I've never really been a whisky drinker, but I've probably had more of it this month than I've ever had before. Had some Jamesons at the quiz 2 weeks ago, and had some JD and also some Bells on boxing day. All taken neat as well.

Fishy

Bells is awful..... blended rubbish... We always keep a bottle of that knocking around. The ones who aren't too bothred what they drink get that or want to shove coke into it.. unless they ask for a a decent single malt..:)

think some Drambuie could be the order of the day for me very soon :)

Andrew_Haldane

Thought I'd been forgotten this year but Mrs Bisto  finally took the hint and bought me a bottle of Drambuie. I'm sure it was a wind up but the old gal has been almost ss bad as me at forgetting things lately..

zoony

Quote from: Fishy on December 31, 2012, 11:52:55 am
Bells is awful..... blended rubbish... We always keep a bottle of that knocking around. The ones who aren't too bothred what they drink get that or want to shove coke into it.. unless they ask for a a decent single malt..:)

Have to admit that it all tastes the same to me mate, but I respect your knowledge and far superior experience on the subject  ;).

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: zoony on December 31, 2012, 17:27:05 pm
Have to admit that it all tastes the same to me mate

::)..........beyond all hope of redemption!

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on January 01, 2013, 02:07:35 am
::)..........beyond all hope of redemption!

Lol. There's no chance I'm ever going to be an expert on it mate, would rather have a Baileys.

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: zoony on January 01, 2013, 10:47:53 am
Lol. There's no chance I'm ever going to be an expert on it mate, would rather have a Baileys.

.......well, as they say, theres no accounting for taste........or lack of it.

BaldiePete

Quote from: zoony on December 31, 2012, 17:27:05 pm
Have to admit that it all tastes the same to me mate

You're obviously drinking the wrong stuff.  ;)

Fishy

got some of this lined up for later today :)

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on January 01, 2013, 11:00:45 am
.......well, as they say, theres no accounting for taste........or lack of it.

Well I do like the best band in the universe mate.