A wee dram...

Started by Bob, November 19, 2004, 05:18:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldiePete

Quote from: Bisto on July 06, 2011, 19:58:54 pm
Just wondering if any of you peat lovers smoke cigarettes? Each to their own palette of course but its such a strong flavour I'm interested to see if there might be any link/correlation

Nope. I loathe smoking in all its forms.

Slim

Quote from: Bisto on July 06, 2011, 19:58:54 pm
Just wondering if any of you peat lovers smoke cigarettes? Each to their own palette of course but its such a strong flavour I'm interested to see if there might be any link/correlation

Used to very moderately, but not for many years. Haven't smoked a mild cigar for ages either, though I do enjoy them. I suppose it is a similar sort of indulgence, yes.

Fishy

just about polished this one off.. absolutely superb...
From the Land of Honest Men.

Slim

That one's finished in Bourbon casks, isn't it? Tried it myself but found the taste of Bourbon a bit overpowering. Very drinkable but not really British-tasting enough for my liking.

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Slim on July 07, 2011, 02:19:13 am
Used to very moderately, but not for many years. Haven't smoked a mild cigar for ages either, though I do enjoy them. I suppose it is a similar sort of indulgence, yes.

Quote from: BaldiePete on July 06, 2011, 21:14:35 pm
Nope. I loathe smoking in all its forms.

The Juras out then

I'll get my coat

Reg

I'm a smoky peaty whisky fan and I used to smoke.  But I haven't smoked in 22 years now, and I never will again.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Reg on July 11, 2011, 10:32:09 am
I'm a smoky peaty whisky fan and I used to smoke.  But I haven't smoked in 22 years now, and I never will again.

I'm wondering in an absent minded kinda way why it is that people experience tastes in different ways when the source itself is standard, uniform and unvaried. Is it purely a chemically different environment from mouth to mouth that influences how variable individual palettes are, or perhaps something like differing levels of acidity/alkaline in the mouth from person to person? Maybe some people actually have more taste buds or more of a certain type than others?

Kaitsu M.

August 08, 2011, 09:51:16 am #1192 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:53:03 am by Kaitsu M.
Smoky? YES!!

Kaitsu

Raise your can of beer on high
And seal your fate forever

NeilP

Dixkot

December 10, 2011, 16:19:50 pm #1194 Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 16:21:35 pm by Dixkot
Quote from: NeilP on November 27, 2011, 11:45:52 am
So, is the elixir of Wick the 'Daddy'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15423862

Haven't tried the 21 y.o. but the 12 y.o is lovely.

Dixkot

Slim

Got some of this for Crimbo:

Talisker Distillers Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A23dx588Uo

.. also got a bottle of the regular stuff and some rocket fuel called "57 degrees North".

BaldiePete

Quote from: Slim on December 27, 2011, 19:42:56 pm
Got some of this for Crimbo:

Talisker Distillers Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A23dx588Uo

.. also got a bottle of the regular stuff and some rocket fuel called "57 degrees North".

The  "57 degrees North" is wonderful - smoky and with definite peat, but sweeter than an Islay.

NeilP

Quote from: Dixkot on December 10, 2011, 16:19:50 pm
Haven't tried the 21 y.o. but the 12 y.o is lovely.

there aren't too many who have tried the 21.

Got a 12 yr old Old Pulteney and 18 Highland Park this week so very happy boy

Slim

Quote from: BaldiePete on December 27, 2011, 20:23:52 pm
The  "57 degrees North" is wonderful - smoky and with definite peat, but sweeter than an Islay.

Cheers Pete! I'll look forward to that. Currently renewing my friendship with Glenlivet.