A wee dram...

Started by Bob, November 19, 2004, 05:18:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Dixkot on December 05, 2010, 19:28:11 pm
As blended go, Black Bottle is up there with the best of them.  Chivas Regal is probably my favourite.  J&B and Grouse are also very good.

thankyou. are there different chivas regals....which one?

on the opposite end of the scale i have just been given a glenfarclas 15 year old for christmas

Dixkot

They have special editions etc, but the 12 Y.O is their standard.

Slim

As far as blendeds go, I like Chiv and JW Black Label particularly. I also have a guilty fondness for JW Red Label. Probably sentimental more than anything. Used to drink it as a student.

rufus the dawg

thanks

the chivas looks expensive,  i am after a cheap drinkable blend that does not taste and smell of grain. any thoughts?

Slim

Well I'm sure I saw a Chiv for £16 or so in Tesco just the other day. Good time of year for bargains of course. If you go much below that, you're inevitably going to get something that's a bit grainy I suspect. Although having said that Sainsburys used to do a sherry cask Scotch blended only from malts that was quite cheap, and I really liked that. Only £12 or £13.

Slim

I don't think I've bought a bottle of Scotch since the 2009 festive season, shame really. My devotion to the vodka martini is such that I'd more or less always have one of those. Looking forward to a few Glenlivets over yuletide though. Wouldn't be Winterval Day without a couple of glasses of a nice Speyside.

My conversion to cocktails is probably a good thing. I'm taking in more liquids due to the ice water, and getting a bit of vitamin c from the lime twist.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on December 06, 2010, 13:33:38 pm
I don't think I've bought a bottle of Scotch since the 2009 festive season, shame really. My devotion to the vodka martini is such that I'd more or less always have one of those. Looking forward to a few Glenlivets over yuletide though. Wouldn't be Winterval Day without a couple of glasses of a nice Speyside.

My conversion to cocktails is probably a good thing. I'm taking in more liquids due to the ice water, and getting a bit of vitamin c from the lime twist.

and the asprin after because of the headache will thin your blood, so preventing you from having a heart attack......

Chris Quartly

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Reg

Had a drop of my Lagavulin on Friday night.  Outstanding.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Ron

Quote from: Reg on January 31, 2011, 16:23:55 pm
Had a drop of my Lagavulin on Friday night.  Outstanding.

:P :P :P
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Andrew_Haldane

Thats an expensive tipple these days Reg. I've often seen/heard folk cite Lagavulin as a favourite but, like Ron, I find it undrinkable. Its funny how much individual palates vary, not that I'm in any way a connoisseur! I couldn't tell you what it was but I do remember tasting a malt years ago that had a very subtle peat tone and I did enjoy that. I'm hoping that I can make sampling Single Malt a hobby in future years. Touring various distilleries would be a great way to celebrate a landmark birthday with a mate or two.

Ron

I think you are mistaking my 'licking my lips" for puking, Bisto. ;)
Actually, Lagavulin is my favourite single malt, certainly the Double Matured one.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Andrew_Haldane

Oops, my mistake!  As I said it is remarkable how much individual tastes differ. The intense Peat flavour overpowers my taste buds to the point where I can't detect anything else. To me theres no enjoyment in that. Perhaps its just me though? I have a very acute sense of smell (fortunately/unfortunately depending on the circumstances), I know the two senses are closely related perhaps this affects how intensely I experience certain flavours?

Reg

Could be Andrew.  I'm an ex-smoker so tend to prefer more intense flavours I guess due to damaged taste buds?

Yes its an expensive tipple, but this bottle I've had for about 8 years now and got it duty free - and only have a dram occasionally.  When it runs out I won't buy another, I'll resort to 2nd best - quarter cask Laphroaig.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Andrew_Haldane

Is that the one you brought along to Welcon? Happy Days! Don't suppose Maz would want to be reminded of it but it was a Fab weekend!