Author Topic: Alcohol Units  (Read 50807 times)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
Alcohol Units
« on: February 22, 2008, 15:20:21 PM »
One of the things I was talking about in the pub lasy night with Pudders was the amount of alcohol we consume. I'm trying to keep an eye on it as the alcohol affects my arthritis and my gout (yes I know, start a queue to point and laugh), so this year I've been recording the number of units I consume and rather geekily graphing the results....much to Mrs Bez's amusement.

I don't consider myself to be a big drinker, in that I rarely drink alone, although I do have a healthy social life and when I do drink its usually largeish quanities.  ::) I've been a bit shocked at how many units over the recommended limits I drink. Last night was 5 pints of Stella before a gig for example which works out to be 15 units, or over 2/3rd of my weekly allowance !

I'm attaching my graphs for the year so far  - bear in mind that I was trying to have no alcohol in January after the 6th until the 8th of Feb - so there's a long flat line. A trip to a restaurant with the mother-in-law put paid to my ambition there...

If anyone wants me to record their intake I'm happy to do so, drop me a weekly PM and I'll stick the results up - purely for reasearch purposes of course  ::)

Here's the info I'm using to calculate drinks into units :

Beer, ale and stout                        Bottle (330ml)  Can (440        Pint        
Ordinary strength (3.5 - 4%)
(John Smith's, Boddington's, Guinness)       1.3 units       1.8 units       2.3 units       
Premium strength (5%)                       1.6 units       2.2 units       2.8 units       
beer (pint)                               2 units+       2.6 units+       3.4 units+

Cider                                       Bottle (330ml)       Can (440ml)       Pint           Litre
Ordinary strength (6%)(Dry Blackthorn,
Strongbow)                               2 units       2.6 units       3.4 units   6 units
Strong (9%+)                               3 units+       4 units+       5 units+    9 units+

Lager                                      Bottle (330ml)       Can (440ml)       Pint       
Ordinary strength (3.5 ' 4%)  
(Carling Black Label, Fosters)               1.3 units       1.8 units       2.3 units       
Premium strength (5%) (Stella Artois,
Carlsberg Export, Grolsch,
Kronenbourg 1664)                       2 units       2.2 units       3 units       
Super strength (9%+) (Tennent's Super,
Special Brew)                               3 units+       4 units+       5 units+

Alcopops                              Bottle (275ml)                       
Ordinary strength (5%) (Smirnoff Ice,
Bacardi Breezer, WKD, Reef)               1.4 units                       

Shots                                       Small measure (25ml)       Large measure (35ml)            
Tequila, Sambuca                       1 unit                       1.3 units            

Spirits                               Small (25ml)       Large (35ml)       Small double (50ml)  Large double (70ml)
Gin, rum, vodka & whisky               1 unit               1.4 units       2 units            2.8 units

Wine (red or white)                       Standard glass (175ml)       Large glass (250ml)       Bottle (750ml)       
                              11%      1.9 units       2.8 units       8.3 units       
                              12%      2.1 units       3 units       9 units       
                              13%      2.3 units       3.3 units       9.8 units       
                              14%      2.5 units       3.5 units       10.5 units       

Fortified wine                               Standard measure (50ml )                      
Sherry & port                               1 unit               

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 15:29:47 PM by bezza57 »
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
Re: Alcohol Units
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 15:25:42 PM »
Sounds interesting and a bit of an eye opener Paul, I might take part though it's been a very wet start to the year for me and fortunately these data wont show up on your graph ;)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 15:31:48 PM »
Sounds interesting and a bit of an eye opener Paul, I might take part though it's been a very wet start to the year for me and fortunately these data wont show up on your graph ;)

I'd suggest starting in March and use the rest of Feb as practice....it can be hard counting how many pints / bottles / glasses when you're on the pop !
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 15:44:08 PM »
We did this thread a couple of years ago, but you may have been pissed at the time. I'll bump it; there's a formula for working out how many units you consume.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 15:55:14 PM »
OK, the site's search engine doesn't actually work these days.

Anyway you can calculate exactly how many units a drink contains from the alcohol content % and the volume (obviously).

25ml of an alcoholic beverage at 40% strength is 1 unit.

So, a 700ml bottle of 40% spirits - a typical bottle of Scotch or brandy - contains exactly 28 units. A 350ml bottle of something at 10% alcohol - a wicked strength lager, perhaps - would be 3.5 units.

I must admit I've been drinking more than the recommended 21 units per week recently.

Dixkot

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 16:03:29 PM »

There is a foolproof formula to work out units of alcohol, as demonstrated by Slim above.

% abv multiplied by volume in ml divide by 1000 = Units of alcohol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 16:03:51 PM by Dixkot »

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 17:06:55 PM »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 19:12:42 PM »
Might have a go at this, could find I have to up the alcohol intake ;D
But I rather doubt it :(
Legend in my own Mind

Gary L. Grape

• TNMS Member
  • B.B. King, Johnny Cash, Metallica and Laurasia...
    • Everyone would gather...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 19:38:21 PM »
Hmm...let me think...I think my graph would have been rather boring for the last couple of years... ::) :P

But at least it's easy to keep track... ;D

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 19:59:02 PM »
Do people tend to take a risk when driving as well?

To drive is to take a risk.

People tend to see in black & white when it comes to driving and alcohol, but a careful short drive after a couple of drinks might easily be as safe as a long drive when you're a little tired, or a Sunday afternoon spent caning a sports car when sober.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 23:09:13 PM »
I drink very little, and the only time my graph would go up a bit is when i meet up with NeilP  ;).

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 23:10:58 PM »
I drink very little, and the only time my graph would go up a bit is when i meet up with NeilP  ;).

.. and cholesterol too :-[

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »

I've just had a break from the drink. 2 weeks. The penny dropped that it was affecting my mood and decision making. I was drinking 6 nights a week. Combined with some dark times and frequent very late nights..... it weren't a good combination. I didn't really figure all this out until I stopped, after which time I had pretty extreme withdrawal and also clarity of thought.

I'll probably be back on it again shortly, but in moderation. Every now and then, Friday nights maybe. I've told pretty much everybody close to me about this, so if / when I do drink again they can give me the heads up if it becomes a problem (i.e. if I don't notice myself).

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:17:12 AM by The_Analog_Parent »

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »
Cider                                      Bottle (330ml)      Can (440ml)      Pint          Litre
Ordinary strength (6%)(Dry Blackthorn,
Strongbow)                              2 units      2.6 units      3.4 units   6 units
Strong (9%+)                              3 units+      4 units+      5 units+    9 units+

Jeeez, I had no idea Strongbow had such a high alcoholic content my son drinks it whenever he goes to a party maybe once every couple of months)  He's a big lad but still not 16 yet and never has come back drunk (yet) but I shall be having a chat with him about it now. Thanks Bez!

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »
I'm trying to keep an eye on it as the alcohol affects my arthritis and my gout (yes I know, start a queue to point and laugh),

Gout is nothing to laugh about I should know I used to suffer terribly from it years ago. I do have poor circulation which does affect it. How about your cholesterol Bez?