The National Midday Sun

Vapour Trails => Rush Releases => Topic started by: Nick on January 12, 2020, 13:10:12 pm

Title: One NP song
Post by: Nick on January 12, 2020, 13:10:12 pm
What song would you choose as the song that best reflects NP's best work for you?

For me Subdivisions.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Bisto on January 12, 2020, 14:50:09 pm
Too many but today it's;... 'Natural Science'
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Bez on January 12, 2020, 16:02:26 pm
An instrumental for me....Overture, YYZ or LVS....
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: pdw1 on January 12, 2020, 16:33:51 pm
For it was his lyrics that were so special so

Grand Designs
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: rufus the dawg on January 12, 2020, 16:58:48 pm
The weapon.

Lyrics and drumming. Brilliant
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: dom on January 12, 2020, 17:14:13 pm
So many, but off the top of my head  for today Middletown Dreams
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: zoony on January 12, 2020, 19:58:01 pm
Never really been a lyrics man to be honest, but as for his drumming, where do you start?! Cygnus X-1, Tom Sawyer and The Camera Eye are right up there for me though.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Matt2112 on January 12, 2020, 21:36:28 pm
Quote from: Nick on January 12, 2020, 13:10:12 pmWhat song would you choose as the song that best reflects NP's best work for you?

For me Subdivisions.
Yes, it has to be this.  By a nose from Analog Kid.

But it's difficult to stop listing them once you've started. So I'll stop there.

Erm...Grand Designs is at the pinnacle also.  Definitely stopping there.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Gary L. Grape on January 13, 2020, 08:49:59 am
One song that I keep going back to, just for Neil's drumming (well, not just for that, but I think you know what I mean), is By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Jonners on January 13, 2020, 10:26:36 am
Red Sector A
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: zoony on January 13, 2020, 12:51:41 pm
Quote from: zoony on January 12, 2020, 19:58:01 pmNever really been a lyrics man to be honest, but as for his drumming, where do you start?! Cygnus X-1, Tom Sawyer and The Camera Eye are right up there for me though.
And not forgetting the sublime Natural Science.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: The Letter R on January 13, 2020, 14:17:12 pm
Combination of lyrics and drumming then Headlong Flight is a tough one to beat.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Neillwith2Ls on January 13, 2020, 14:36:34 pm
Tough one, but I'd go with Subdivisions too. Instrumentally; YYZ or La Villa.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Bez on January 13, 2020, 14:47:05 pm
I've just watched the R30 medley into tSoR

I stood in the middle of the lounge, like I was at a gig, with the lights down, curtains drawn in the sweet spot of the surround sound and bounced for 10 minutes...I hit my hand on the ceiling during tSoR as I raised my hands in triumph....

I'm changing my vote 8)
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: DavidL on January 13, 2020, 15:19:57 pm
Quote from: Bez on January 13, 2020, 14:47:05 pmI've just watched the R30 medley into tSoR

I stood in the middle of the lounge, like I was at a gig, with the lights down, curtains drawn in the sweet spot of the surround sound and bounced for 10 minutes...I hit my hand on the ceiling during tSoR as I raised my hands in triumph....

I'm changing my vote 8)
The R30 medley was one of the coolest things they've done live IMHO. What a stellar start to a show!
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: zoony on January 13, 2020, 17:14:49 pm
Quote from: DavidL on January 13, 2020, 15:19:57 pmThe R30 medley was one of the coolest things they've done live IMHO. What a stellar start to a show!
Yep, always said it was the best opener they ever did.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Chalker the Stalker 2 on January 25, 2020, 18:59:23 pm
Marathon.

From the first Rush album that I purchased, £3.49 from Our Price in Richmond.

Also the lyric,

"You can do a lot in a lifetime

If you don't burn out too fast............."
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: pdw1 on January 26, 2020, 12:07:12 pm
Quote from: Chalker the Stalker 2 on January 25, 2020, 18:59:23 pmMarathon.

From the first Rush album that I purchased, £3.49 from Our Price in Richmond.

Also the lyric,

"You can do a lot in a lifetime

If you don't burn out too fast............."

Good choice.
The lyrics on Power Windows are some of NP's best.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Richard_2112 on January 26, 2020, 13:38:48 pm
Losing It

Sublime lyrics, plus his drum parts (especially in the violin solo) showcase what a phenomenal player he was.
Title: Re: One NP song
Post by: Slim on January 29, 2020, 12:33:44 pm
Drumming - Test For Echo. Lyrics .. not sure, maybe Show Don't Tell