The National Midday Sun

Moving Pictures => DVD/Movie/TV => Topic started by: Matt2112 on September 05, 2019, 23:04:52 pm

Title: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 05, 2019, 23:04:52 pm
It's back..!  Again..!

You know what that means, right?  Yep, summer is over...  :(
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: rufus the dawg on September 05, 2019, 23:36:26 pm
It's your fault
No it's your fault
No no it most deffinitly your fault .
Well it's not my fault 
Yes it is your fault because I said so
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on September 06, 2019, 08:30:13 am
Quote from: rufus the dawg on September 05, 2019, 23:36:26 pmIt's your fault
No it's your fault
No no it most deffinitly your fault .
Well it's not my fault
Yes it is your fault because I said so
It was a tough watch last night and no one came out of it with ANY credit whatsoever...including Fiona Bruce.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 06, 2019, 09:09:04 am
Quote from: Bez on September 06, 2019, 08:30:13 amIt was a tough watch last night and no one came out of it with ANY credit whatsoever...including Fiona Bruce.
Iain Dale perhaps emerged from this with some dignity intact but, yes: bang-your-head-against-the-wall stuff for an interminable, exasperating, depressing hour.

A special mention for Thornberry who was exposed as the absolute charlatan she is and who shouldn't be anywhere near politics.  With every appearance on QT she looks exponentially more unhinged; who votes for such inept, insufferable harridans?

The SNP guy almost as bad, he wouldn't shut up or allow others to speak either.

Fiona Bruce needs to be much more judicious how and when to interject.  You know like some football referees who seem to insist on being the centre of attention and won't let the game flow?  She was like that - really annoying.

The final insult is that we're actually paying for all this!

What a sh!tshow all round.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on September 06, 2019, 09:26:40 am
Quote from: Matt2112 on September 06, 2019, 09:09:04 amIain Dale perhaps emerged from this with some dignity intact but, yes: bang-your-head-against-the-wall stuff for an interminable, exasperating, depressing hour.

A special mention for Thornberry who was exposed as the absolute charlatan she is and who shouldn't be anywhere near politics.  With every appearance on QT she looks exponentially more unhinged; who votes for such inept, insufferable harridans?

The SNP guy almost as bad, he wouldn't shut up or allow others to speak either.

Fiona Bruce needs to be much more judicious how and when to interject.  You know like some football referees who seem to insist on being the centre of attention and won't let the game flow?  She was like that - really annoying.

The final insult is that we're actually paying for all this!

What a sh!tshow all round.
To continue the football analogy; Bruce lost control of the game. She should have issued a few early yellows....

I was most disappointed with the Lib Dem. They are in probably their best position for many years to make a real impact on the political scene, but their politicians are, generally speaking, lightweight and uninspiring.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: döm on September 06, 2019, 10:10:39 am
Personally speaking Ian Dale was the worst of a bad bunch.  What an obnoxious man
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on September 06, 2019, 12:04:24 pm
Quote from: döm on September 06, 2019, 10:10:39 amPersonally speaking Ian Dale was the worst of a bad bunch.  What an obnoxious man
I was waiting for that as I scrolled down!
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: zoony on September 06, 2019, 12:54:23 pm
Quote from: Matt2112 on September 05, 2019, 23:04:52 pmYep, summer is over...  :(
Along with democracy.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: döm on September 06, 2019, 13:03:45 pm
Quote from: DavidL on September 06, 2019, 12:04:24 pmI was waiting for that as I scrolled down!
Despite his objectionable politics, he was condescending and dismissive
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: rufus the dawg on September 06, 2019, 18:00:38 pm
The problem with format is that people/mps/audience want to have/give simplistic answers to often very complex issues and it turns in to populist slogan rant. And they Lie

And when people try to give a complex nuanced answer they are cut off at the end or not allowed to finish the answer or someone talks over the most important part of the answer.

I listened to it on the radio and mens voices seem to work better than women voices in this format. Kwasi kwarteng voice is really excellent for radio and cut across everyone. But because he kept interjecting he sounded foolish.

I thought Iain Dale came across the best though.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on September 06, 2019, 19:35:47 pm
I just caught the last fifteen minutes (perhaps thankfully!). The thing with Ian Dale is he doesn't get over-excited and remains calm. I also thought he did a good job of putting Ian Blackford in his box when he was constantly interrupting him.
Layla Moran admitted that she does not believe in democracy and Thornberry is as annoying as Abbott and Soubry.
It's just turned into a slanging match - a bit like the House of Commons.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 06, 2019, 20:26:24 pm
Quote from: rufus the dawg on September 06, 2019, 18:00:38 pmThe problem with format is that people/mps/audience want to have/give simplistic answers to often very complex issues and it turns in to populist slogan rant. And they Lie

Well, lying is par for the course for politicians and most of them are incapable of giving anything more than a simplistic answer or a slogan. Of course most of the general public are incapable of understanding anything more than a simple answer - I blame BLiar and his education, edyoucaytion, eddyoukayshun - which is why most people who voted Brexit did so for the wrong reasons - as did those who voted remain :)

I gave up on Question Time a couple of years ago. Why bother when you can easily find programmes on mass murderers.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: rufus the dawg on September 06, 2019, 21:40:15 pm
Great answer Nick
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on September 13, 2019, 16:26:38 pm
Back to "dull" last night....a "vanilla" audience and poor panel.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 13, 2019, 17:43:21 pm
Quote from: Bez on September 13, 2019, 16:26:38 pmBack to "dull" last night....a "vanilla" audience and poor panel.


100% agree.  It dismally failed my "P!ss about on my phone instead" threshold.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: rufus the dawg on September 13, 2019, 18:07:43 pm
I thought the most interesting bit was when someone challenged the CONservative guy re. brexit and said "you are allowed to change your mind but you are not giving us a chance to change our minds"
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 19, 2019, 17:53:19 pm
Ash Sarkar vs Camilla Tominey tonight - might liven things up.

Ed Davey is on for dem Libs, and two other no-marks from the other two parties. Pfft.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 20, 2019, 08:51:36 am
Usual interminable yawnfest - fell asleep about half way through.

Ash Sarkar, though - what an utter knob.  More interested in trying to bait her opponents than having a conversation. The first QT panellist in history to be annoying before the debate had even started when, on being introduced, grinning goofily and giving a "shaka" sign.  Oh, grow up!
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on September 20, 2019, 11:06:16 am
also fell asleep watching last night....caught up this AM.

The final question was far and away the best thing that's been on for many an episode. the bravery of the bloke who asked the question brought a tear to the eye...
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 20, 2019, 15:46:39 pm
Quote from: Bez on September 20, 2019, 11:06:16 amalso fell asleep watching last night....caught up this AM.

The final question was far and away the best thing that's been on for many an episode. the bravery of the bloke who asked the question brought a tear to the eye...

I'll have a watch of that on iplayer.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 26, 2019, 20:18:39 pm
Miller vs. Reckless vs. Cleverly vs. some Labour guy vs. some Welsh guy.

I confidently predict the convincing winner out of those will be "vs".
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 26, 2019, 20:25:47 pm
Quote from: Matt2112 on September 26, 2019, 20:18:39 pmI confidently predict the convincing winner out of those will be "vs".
More likely the Zs
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on September 27, 2019, 08:56:02 am
Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 26, 2019, 20:25:47 pmMore likely the Zs

Spot on!  Fell asleep after 15 minutes.  :)
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on October 03, 2019, 22:14:08 pm
Melanie Phillips is on tonight, presumably in an attempt to make what's become an extremely soporific programme of late a bit more engaging.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on November 22, 2019, 15:43:30 pm
Apart from Chucka "Which party am I in today?" Umuna, I didn't really know any of last night's panellists.

I desperately wanted the woman from the Times (or Telegraph) to think about where her sentences were going before she started them. Who does her ghost writing, because they obviously cover a fundamental grasp of the English language.

Tory boy was unable to answer the accusations around the fake Factchecker twitter account and was hopelessly out of his depth when it comes to flammable cladding on buildings - which is strange (and terrifying in equal measure) for the housing minster.

The Labour bloke regurgitated the party line pretty faithfully and strayed into dangerous territory when he brought up WMD in Iraq before the war. Full marks for calling it out. Shame he couldn't say anything in response to the accusations that the Labour manifesto was leading us forward to the 70s

Umuna was measured and generally came across well. His biggest problem is the fact that he's changed party more times than his socks recently...

SNP woman came across best of the lot. No harping on about a second referendum for Scotland and made some valid points in most of the questions.

Highlight was the bloke who was going to pay more tax (if Labour get in) because he earns more than £80,000 a year and thought he wasn't in the top 5% of earners in the country. What a dick.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on November 22, 2019, 19:27:56 pm
Quote from: Bez on November 22, 2019, 15:43:30 pmHighlight was the bloke who was going to pay more tax (if Labour get in) because he earns more than £80,000 a year and thought he wasn't in the top 5% of earners in the country. What a dick.

Yes, and for a guy in that bracket he didn't look particularly well presented. Just saying. :-\
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on November 24, 2019, 19:35:27 pm
Quote from: Matt2112 on November 22, 2019, 19:27:56 pmYes, and for a guy in that bracket he didn't look particularly well presented. Just saying. :-\
Looked like a builder who doesn't pay any tax (or NI)....just sayin'

Let's hope HMRC were watching...
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on November 24, 2019, 20:08:00 pm
Quote from: Bez on November 24, 2019, 19:35:27 pmLooked like a builder who doesn't pay any tax (or NI)....just sayin'

Let's hope HMRC were watching...
Or perhaps a trucker working about 90 hours a week. :)

It turns out that (I'm taking this at face value admittedly) the claim that an annual salary of 80k being in the top 5% is indeed a tad inaccurate - it's apparently in the top 3%...  ::)
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on January 09, 2020, 23:45:04 pm
It's back after the festive break!

Clive Lewis is on the panel.  Labour leadership candidate.  Current odds: 100/1.

Oh, what a surprise, the first question is about the going-rogue royal couple.  Whatever - just disestablish the whole wretched lot of them and put them out to pasture. And the CofE with them.  It's effing 2020 for eff's sake.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on January 10, 2020, 09:02:46 am
Not sure that Clive Lewis enhanced his claim on the leadership....for me, there's something slightly creepy about him.

I found myself agreeing with Max Hastings more than I was expecting.

The woman from the Economist was as smug as ever and the "other" Lewis on the panel didn't need to say anything as the Torys have a huge majority and there's no effective opposition.

The "left wing think tank" woman was a dick.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on January 10, 2020, 10:28:28 am
New year......same s**t!
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on January 16, 2020, 23:48:04 pm
Chakrabarking on tonight with...some others including someone from the Telegraph.

My heart's not really in it though...  :(
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: pxr5 on January 17, 2020, 13:37:02 pm
I haven't watched this programme for ages, but caught the snippet of Laurence Fox on the BBC News earlier. I've always liked him - so watching it now on catch-up.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on January 17, 2020, 14:55:06 pm
Quote from: pxr5 on January 17, 2020, 13:37:02 pmI haven't watched this programme for ages, but caught the snippet of Laurence Fox on the BBC News earlier. I've always liked him - so watching it now on catch-up.
I've not seen QT but from what I've picked up he appears to be the antidote to 'woke'. Probably never work again!
Might watch on catch up, sounds fun.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: pxr5 on January 17, 2020, 16:10:47 pm
Quote from: DavidL on January 17, 2020, 14:55:06 pmI've not seen QT but from what I've picked up he appears to be the anti-dote to 'woke'. Probably never work again!
Might watch on catch up, sounds fun.
He made a few other, telling remarks - worth watching, if only for him. The rest was typical political claptrap. In future I'll keep an eye on who the 'odd' person is on the panel and watch, or not, accordingly.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on January 17, 2020, 23:09:56 pm
Great response by Laurence Fox to the woman in the audience bemoaning the "racism" of...."white privileged males". 

Yes, the problem with that common regressive leftist trope is pretty obvious - it's, erm, racist (and sexist) - and I think his answer  spoke for a lot of people.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: döm on January 18, 2020, 00:54:44 am
Think you're preaching to the converted here Matt as it is  a largely white and male audience
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on January 18, 2020, 11:32:17 am
Quote from: Matt2112 on January 17, 2020, 23:09:56 pmGreat response by Laurence Fox to the woman in the audience bemoaning the "racism" of...."white privileged males".

Yes, the problem with that common regressive leftist trope is pretty obvious - it's, erm, racist (and sexist) - and I think his answer  spoke for a lot of people.
Indeed, he's a bit of an arogant dick though....I hear he speaks very highly of me... ;D
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on January 27, 2020, 16:49:04 pm
Seems like the beeb may have tried to do a job on Larry

http://www.atangledweb.org/?p=81498 (http://www.atangledweb.org/?p=81498)

Pushing their agenda is getting beyond a joke. From essential viewing, QT has become a complete turn-off.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: döm on January 27, 2020, 17:05:22 pm
Quote from: DavidL on January 27, 2020, 16:49:04 pmSeems like the beeb may have tried to do a job on Larry

http://www.atangledweb.org/?p=81498 (http://www.atangledweb.org/?p=81498)

Pushing their agenda is getting beyond a joke. From essential viewing, QT has become a complete turn-off.
It's funny how both the left and the right are equally appalled by the BBC.  Perhaps its because they are doing their best to maintain a distance from both extremes!
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on January 27, 2020, 18:18:26 pm
Quote from: döm on January 27, 2020, 17:05:22 pmIt's funny how both the left and the right are equally appalled by the BBC.  Perhaps its because they are doing their best to maintain a distance from both extremes!
In this particular instance, they are certainly misleading viewers (and not for the first time on this programme)
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: döm on January 27, 2020, 18:31:39 pm
Quote from: DavidL on January 27, 2020, 18:18:26 pmIn this particular instance, they are certainly misleading viewers (and not for the first time on this programme)
And they've planted people from all hues of the political spectrum. For dramatic effect perhaps. Fox's views certainly required a strong rebuttal
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on January 27, 2020, 20:22:25 pm
Quote from: döm on January 27, 2020, 18:31:39 pmFox's views certainly required a strong rebuttal
Clearly you're in profound diagreement with his view that the UK is the "most tolerant, lovely country in Europe". If not, where? Sweden? Hungary, France?
What I think, is that we have a whole raft of people who seem to be making a career out of being offended on behalf of others. Perhaps that also requires a strong rebuttal(?)
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on February 06, 2020, 23:55:49 pm
Ed Davey on the panel tonight - 4/6 fav to be next Lib Dem leader.

Surprised there's a market at all actually; it's like betting on the next football manager of the local pub's Sunday morning league team.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on February 07, 2020, 00:33:20 am
Quote from: Matt2112 on February 06, 2020, 23:55:49 pmEd Davey on the panel tonight - 4/6 fav to be next Lib Dem leader.

Surprised there's a market at all actually; it's like betting on the next football manager of the local pub's Sunday morning league team.
Its not as if there's a big choice...."Hobson, get your boots, you're starting..."
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bisto on February 07, 2020, 05:05:58 am
Quote from: döm on January 27, 2020, 18:31:39 pmFox's views certainly required a strong rebuttal
Not sure what you're specifically referring to here döm? I've only seen the response to the "white privilege" quip, was it that or something else?
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on February 07, 2020, 09:17:23 am
Quote from: Bisto on February 07, 2020, 05:05:58 amNot sure what you're specifically referring to here döm? I've only seen the response to the "white privilege" quip, was it that or something else?
Fox asserted that the UK was one of the nicest, most tolerant countries in the world. I think döm disagrees strongly with that view. 
döm?
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on February 07, 2020, 09:32:10 am
Quote from: Bez on February 07, 2020, 00:33:20 amIts not as if there's a big choice...."Hobson, get your boots, you're starting..."
Quite - second favourite is self-described "non-binary" Layla Moran. She'd be worse for the party than "So..." Jo Swinson.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: döm on February 07, 2020, 10:15:05 am
Quote from: DavidL on February 07, 2020, 09:17:23 amFox asserted that the UK was one of the nicest, most tolerant countries in the world. I think döm disagrees strongly with that view.
döm?
I've not done much research into the matter but I'm sure the UK would be pretty high up that table, doubt its no 1 though, could be, maybe you could enlighten me. 
No what bothered me about his comments is that he claimed that a man born into his circumstances is not at an advantage in life compared to others born in less fortunate situation
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on February 07, 2020, 11:43:30 am
Quote from: döm on February 07, 2020, 10:15:05 amI've not done much research into the matter but I'm sure the UK would be pretty high up that table, doubt its no 1 though, could be, maybe you could enlighten me. 
No what bothered me about his comments is that he claimed that a man born into his circumstances is not at an advantage in life compared to others born in less fortunate situation
He didn't say anything about not being at an advantage. What he quite rightly said was that she was being racist by using the term 'white' whilst indulging in discrimination herself.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on March 13, 2020, 13:00:31 pm
Fell asleep after literally five minutes last night. Probably didn't miss anything.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bisto on March 13, 2020, 15:55:29 pm
Quote from: Matt2112 on March 13, 2020, 13:00:31 pmFell asleep after literally five minutes last night. Probably didn't miss anything.
Took me longer but no, you didn't.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on March 14, 2020, 12:13:32 pm
You missed the former chief medical officer...he was worth the price of admission alone...

An angry man with strong views on the government's handling of Covid-19
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on March 27, 2020, 11:18:46 am
Catching up on yesterday's QT

Robert Jenrick seems hopelessly out of his depth and keep reverting to party political politics....

Even Thornberry is looking assured and rational in comparrison. :-\
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on March 27, 2020, 11:33:19 am
Editor of The Lancet (Richard Horton) dishing out a bit of a kicking...
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on March 27, 2020, 17:29:40 pm
I thought it wasn't on?  I even checked the TV Guide thingy...ah well.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on March 28, 2020, 00:43:53 am
Quote from: Matt2112 on March 27, 2020, 17:29:40 pmI thought it wasn't on?  I even checked the TV Guide thingy...ah well.
It has been moved to "prime time" 20:00 (a little later last night so we could all watch Boris clap the NHS....)
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on April 06, 2020, 14:36:12 pm
Quote from: Bez on March 28, 2020, 00:43:53 amIt has been moved to "prime time" 20:00 (a little later last night so we could all watch Boris clap the NHS....)
Ah, thanks Bez. :)
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on May 15, 2020, 01:01:48 am
Back to its usual time nowadays.

Got bored of it tonight, started browsing online instead.

In fairness, for the last couple of weeks my weekday mornings have been spent listening to Nick Ferrari and James O'Brien, and my afternoons listening to Ian Collins and Dan Wootton, so by the time QT is broadcast the topics it covers have been done to death already.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Bez on May 15, 2020, 08:39:38 am
Quote from: Matt2112 on May 15, 2020, 01:01:48 amBack to its usual time nowadays.

Got bored of it tonight, started browsing online instead.

In fairness, for the last couple of weeks my weekday mornings have been spent listening to Nick Ferrari and James O'Brien, and my afternoons listening to Ian Collins and Dan Wootton, so by the time QT is broadcast the topics it covers have been done to death already.
Gave up on the rpime time version a few weeks back. There's little point if everyone is "playing nicely"

Haven't bothered since it has been back in the regular slot.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: DavidL on May 15, 2020, 09:21:40 am
Not interested anymore. Very predictable.
Title: Re: Question Time #6
Post by: Matt2112 on May 15, 2020, 11:24:41 am
Quote from: Bez on May 15, 2020, 08:39:38 amGave up on the rpime time version a few weeks back. There's little point if everyone is "playing nicely"

Haven't bothered since it has been back in the regular slot.
In fairness there was a little bit of friction in the room last night, but, again, nothing you won't hear on the airwaves.

I'm sorely missing the presence of an audience, green pen merchants included!