The National Midday Sun

The Big Money => Football => Topic started by: The Letter R on July 30, 2018, 14:37:21 pm

Title: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on July 30, 2018, 14:37:21 pm
Here we go again - New Season starts August 4
AFC Wimbledon Away to Fleetwood for their first game - I won't be attending this one, Coventry at Home first Home Game the week after which I will be at.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on August 02, 2018, 08:34:56 am
You seem to be among the favourites to go down, mate....whereas, the happy Hatters are looking at a play-off place.
Bring on the battle  ;)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 02, 2018, 13:31:50 pm
Quote from: Bez on August 02, 2018, 08:34:56 am
You seem to be among the favourites to go down, mate....whereas, the happy Hatters are looking at a play-off place.
Bring on the battle  ;)



I'll remember this post as may need to quote it come May 2019  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on August 03, 2018, 00:34:06 am
Quote from: The Letter R on August 02, 2018, 13:31:50 pm

I'll remember this post as may need to quote it come May 2019  ;D
:D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 06, 2018, 09:35:01 am
Good start - 1-0 away win at Fleetwood  8)  50 more points needed for safety  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on August 06, 2018, 10:20:02 am
Quote from: The Letter R on August 06, 2018, 09:35:01 am
Good start - 1-0 away win at Fleetwood  8)  50 more points needed for safety  ;D

Poor start, lost 1-0 away at Portsmouth. Unlucky apparently, but that doesn't put points on the board....
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 08, 2018, 08:57:01 am
Quote from: Bez on August 06, 2018, 10:20:02 am
Poor start, lost 1-0 away at Portsmouth. Unlucky apparently, but that doesn't put points on the board....



Our goal came under the "they all count" category...... ;D  not the prettiest but it doesn't matter.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 15, 2018, 09:04:14 am
0-0 draw at home to Coventry Saturday - good to keep another clean sheet but I see it as 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained, Coventry were quite poor except for a couple of powerful long range efforts that were off target they didn't offer much. Some of our new signings looked quite lively and even a player we slagged off last season seems to have found a spot of form, we just need to be sharper up front.


Managed to actually win in the fizzy pop cup last night with 2 late goals away to Portsmouth - truth be told I'd rather we had been knocked out.......oh well.....


Away to Barnsley at the weekend so can't expect much from that game - a weekend away in Sheffield though - not been there since spending a couple of days there with Blastzone and Muppet on the last Rush tour in the UK - great memories  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on August 20, 2018, 12:09:47 pm
1 point from 3 games and a spot firmly in the relly zone...
We have played the top two though. Not sure if they're top because they've had an easy game against the Hatters or if we're bottom because we've played the best two teams in the division...
Early days!
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 21, 2018, 14:29:41 pm
0-0 draw away to Barnsley who are surely favourites to go back up so happy with that result and performance.
Good to still have a clean sheet this season but equally we have only scored 1 goal - need to do better up front.
3 home games on the bounce now - Walsall tonight in the league and Sunderland Saturday then West Ham in the fizzy pop cup.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 22, 2018, 09:34:19 am
A 3-1 home defeat by Walsall last night ended our clean sheet run. Score line was flattering to them, first 15 minutes they were all over us as they raced out the blocks and eventually got their reward with a cracking goal. The rest of the half we took control and had numerous chances we failed to convert.
Second half was the same we were making the plays having shots and they had the odd flurry, then under not much pressure one of our defenders back passed to the keeper without looking exactly where he was and the ball ended up in the back of the net. A little later a clearance in the box deflected and bounced perfectly for them to get number 3 so 2 gift goals and 1 good goal. In the closing minutes we managed a consolation but it was all too late.......roll on Sunderland this Saturday.....
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on August 22, 2018, 13:00:55 pm
After last season's heroics, it looks like The Shrews are going to struggle this season.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on August 22, 2018, 13:25:21 pm
Quote from: zoony on August 22, 2018, 13:00:55 pm
After last season's heroics, it looks like The Shrews are going to struggle this season.

I was expecting a Saints post, but thought that you were a couple of seasions early... ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on August 22, 2018, 17:07:15 pm
Quote from: Bez on August 22, 2018, 13:25:21 pm
I was expecting a Saints post, but thought that you were a couple of seasions early... ;D



Ouch!!  :o ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Chris Quartly on August 22, 2018, 17:25:43 pm
Oxford have not had a very good start to the season...
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on August 26, 2018, 12:42:52 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on August 22, 2018, 17:07:15 pm

Ouch!!  :o ;D



There's a good chance he's right though!
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on November 12, 2018, 13:31:27 pm
Ardley gone this morning in a club statement "by mutual consent"  ie our £75k FA Cup TV Money was probably enough to buy him out of his contract - time to find a replacement now.........
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Matt2112 on November 13, 2018, 12:31:12 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on November 12, 2018, 13:31:27 pm
Ardley gone this morning in a club statement "by mutual consent"  ie our £75k FA Cup TV Money was probably enough to buy him out of his contract - time to find a replacement now.........



Can you wait a few weeks?  Cheers.  ;) ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on November 13, 2018, 16:49:09 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on November 12, 2018, 13:31:27 pm
Ardley gone this morning in a club statement "by mutual consent"  ie our £75k FA Cup TV Money was probably enough to buy him out of his contract - time to find a replacement now.........


Difficult to argue against the decision, but it always seems harsh for someone who has invested so much into the club...
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on November 14, 2018, 14:31:53 pm
Quote from: Bez on November 13, 2018, 16:49:09 pm
Difficult to argue against the decision, but it always seems harsh for someone who has invested so much into the club...



It had to happen really - no club can suffer so many defeats in a row and allow the manager to stay, Ardley has been hard on players when they haven't performed to his liking so it's par for the course really...he may be a decent bloke but when your team aren't getting the results you have to stand aside.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on November 14, 2018, 14:33:42 pm
Quote from: Matt2112 on November 13, 2018, 12:31:12 pm

Can you wait a few weeks?  Cheers.  ;) ;D

Don't worry - it will probably take us months to sort a new manager out......
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on December 20, 2018, 09:07:39 am
So we're the strongest team in the league at the moment ;D ......holding everyone else up......back to League 2 by the looks of things......and it's not even Christmas yet.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on December 20, 2018, 15:44:35 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on December 20, 2018, 09:07:39 am
So we're the strongest team in the league at the moment ;D ......holding everyone else up......back to League 2 by the looks of things......and it's not even Christmas yet.


.....and to think I had your lot down to "beat the bookies" in a prediction league....show's how much I know  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Chris Quartly on December 20, 2018, 16:31:48 pm
Oxford are on a decent run (1 defeat in 15 in all comps), but it just goes to show how disastrous our start was that we're still only just above the relegation zone.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on December 21, 2018, 14:00:57 pm
Quote from: Bez on December 20, 2018, 15:44:35 pm
.....and to think I had your lot down to "beat the bookies" in a prediction league....show's how much I know  ;D



I thought we would find the season tough but didn't think it would be as bad as it is.......if we do stay up the second half of our season is going to be amazing  :)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on December 23, 2018, 22:43:48 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on December 21, 2018, 14:00:57 pm

I thought we would find the season tough but didn't think it would be as bad as it is.......if we do stay up the second half of our season is going to be amazing  :)


A good start at the weekend, mate....from tiny acorns and all that.... ;)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on December 24, 2018, 11:43:10 am
Yes - a very welcome 3 points!! - Team played well with a bit of fighting spirit too!! 8)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on December 27, 2018, 09:54:12 am
....another win....we're on a roll...... ::)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on January 18, 2019, 09:32:27 am
Quote from: Bez on August 02, 2018, 08:34:56 am
You seem to be among the favourites to go down, mate....whereas, the happy Hatters are looking at a play-off place.
Bring on the battle  ;)



Bookies seem to be right at the moment....... ??? ::)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on January 19, 2019, 01:07:04 am
An up and down couple of weeks for the Hatters, we lost our manager to Stoke of all teams, but finally got planning permission for our new ground (anyone who has been to the Oak Road end of Kennilworth Road will understand how desperately the club need this. The seats in the main stand were bought second hand from Kempton race track in tbe 1920s....


Onwards and upwards
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Matt2112 on January 19, 2019, 14:02:11 pm
Quote from: Bez on January 19, 2019, 01:07:04 am
An up and down couple of weeks for the Hatters, we lost our manager to Stoke of all teams, but finally got planning permission for our new ground (anyone who has been to the Oak Road end of Kennilworth Road will understand how desperately the club need this. The seats in the main stand were bought second hand from Kempton race track in tbe 1920s....


Onwards and upwards



Aye, a row of cheap looking boxes running the touch line; reminds me of Bradford City's old "chicken run" shed, which is now unrecognisable.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on January 19, 2019, 16:31:00 pm
Quote from: Matt2112 on January 19, 2019, 14:02:11 pm

Aye, a row of cheap looking boxes running the touch line; reminds me of Bradford City's old "chicken run" shed, which is now unrecognisable.


The old "Bobbers" stand which was converted into boxes many moons ago.....named after the old fellas who used to bob up and down whenever there was something exciting on the pitch  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Chris Quartly on January 20, 2019, 17:00:00 pm
Oxford have been on a bad run lately but beat top of the table Portsmouth, typical.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on January 21, 2019, 08:38:34 am
Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 20, 2019, 17:00:00 pm
Oxford have been on a bad run lately but beat top of the table Portsmouth, typical.


Thanks for that  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on January 22, 2019, 23:57:01 pm
Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 20, 2019, 17:00:00 pm
Oxford have been on a bad run lately but beat top of the table Portsmouth, typical.



Nice one mate 🙂.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on January 23, 2019, 09:45:14 am
It's grim at the bottom - tonking at home by Fleetwood last night - first time I left a game earlier as the third goal went in........ :-[


West Ham in the FA Cup Saturday - you can all endure the pain though as we're live on BT Sports!! ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: pdw1 on January 26, 2019, 22:51:20 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on January 23, 2019, 09:45:14 am
It's grim at the bottom - tonking at home by Fleetwood last night - first time I left a game earlier as the third goal went in........ :-[


West Ham in the FA Cup Saturday - you can all endure the pain though as we're live on BT Sports!! ;D
Doubt its grim tonight  in south west London :)
Congratulations on a great result
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Phil on January 27, 2019, 12:41:20 pm

A good win for Wimbledon.

While I'm not from Portsmouth, I have the dubious fortune of living here. They certainly managed to throw a result away yesterday.

Good ruck in the 2nd half though.

Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: döm on January 27, 2019, 23:45:01 pm
Brilliant result for Wimbledon. Hopefully Barnet can match your exploits and make the 5th round too! Hopefully we don't actually meet in the 5th round though!
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Matt2112 on January 28, 2019, 12:14:23 pm
Against Wimbledon this season, West Ham have conceded more goals than Halifax Town.  Just saying.  ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on January 31, 2019, 09:39:42 am
Our "reward" a home draw vs Millwall - thanks - will probably lose any money we make from paying for the Policing of the game......


Up to Durham tomorrow for our league game Saturday against Sunderland - would be nice to think we can take the spirit of the West Ham win with us, in truth, it's all probably a bit late league wise.....
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on January 31, 2019, 14:33:13 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on January 31, 2019, 09:39:42 am
Our "reward" a home draw vs Millwall - thanks - will probably lose any money we make from paying for the Policing of the game......


Up to Durham tomorrow for our league game Saturday against Sunderland - would be nice to think we can take the spirit of the West Ham win with us, in truth, it's all probably a bit late league wise.....


Hoping for at least a draw from your boys at the weekend, mate.... ;)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on March 04, 2019, 14:36:04 pm
When your teams manager pops into the pub after an way game for a couple of pints with the fans  ;D .....not sure if Wally is taking this Management lark seriously but still.......
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on March 06, 2019, 15:06:17 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on March 04, 2019, 14:36:04 pm
When your teams manager pops into the pub after an way game for a couple of pints with the fans  ;D .....not sure if Wally is taking this Management lark seriously but still.......



Sounds like the good old days to me mate. Not a hope in he'll of seeing anything like that in the PL these days.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on April 24, 2019, 09:26:02 am
A vital injury time goal at league leaders Luton last night for a 2-2 draw keeps our toe in the door of league one survival - 2 games to go...........
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on April 24, 2019, 10:59:12 am
Quote from: The Letter R on April 24, 2019, 09:26:02 am
A vital injury time goal at league leaders Luton last night for a 2-2 draw keeps our toe in the door of league one survival - 2 games to go...........


Gits!

1 point needed for automatic promotion for the hatters, although a haul of 5 from 12 isn't great form it should be good enough....
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on April 25, 2019, 14:27:13 pm
Glad to see that The Shrews are safe.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Chris Quartly on April 29, 2019, 17:01:39 pm
Oxford have somehow become the form team in the last month, we left it late but at least have been safe for a couple of weeks... the problem is, now the club will probably think we don't need to change anything next season.

Would be nice to have some players who aren't always injured...
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on April 30, 2019, 09:17:15 am
Up to Bradford for final game of season this Saturday.
League safety in our own hands - a draw would secure it - even a loss with other results going our way will see us safe but would rather do it on our own terms.
Considering we were all but down at Christmas going into the last game with a strong chance of league survival is nothing short of a miracle.
Club have already sold over 1000 away tickets for the game which is amazing and we have secured a further 500 more to sell - I hope they have enough beer!!
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on April 30, 2019, 09:26:05 am
Quote from: The Letter R on April 30, 2019, 09:17:15 am
Up to Bradford for final game of season this Saturday.
League safety in our own hands - a draw would secure it - even a loss with other results going our way will see us safe but would rather do it on our own terms.
Considering we were all but down at Christmas going into the last game with a strong chance of league survival is nothing short of a miracle.
Club have already sold over 1000 away tickets for the game which is amazing and we have secured a further 500 more to sell - I hope they have enough beer!!


Good luck at the weekend, mate....

The Hatters are still conspiring to make life difficult for themselves (2 losses, 2 draws and a win in our last 5)....we need to better Barnsley's result to guarantee promotion. Sunderland can only catch us and our GD is better. Pompy and Barnsley can still overtake us. We're at home to Q's in-form Oxford for the last game of the season...

CoYH!
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on April 30, 2019, 09:34:49 am
Good luck to your guys too - mad season ending with neither promotion or relegation decided as yet except for Bradford.
We all want Luton to go up as it's such a shithole to visit  ;D ;)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Chris Quartly on April 30, 2019, 16:06:22 pm
Quote from: Bez on April 30, 2019, 09:26:05 am
Good luck at the weekend, mate....

The Hatters are still conspiring to make life difficult for themselves (2 losses, 2 draws and a win in our last 5)....we need to better Barnsley's result to guarantee promotion. Sunderland can only catch us and our GD is better. Pompy and Barnsley can still overtake us. We're at home to Q's in-form Oxford for the last game of the season...

CoYH!



How's super Danny Hylton doing? We always loved him and was probably the fan's favourite player when we let him go, though the over-riding opinion was that he wouldn't quite cut it in League One, I'm happy for him that he has proved people wrong.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on April 30, 2019, 22:49:47 pm
Promoted!


Sunderland & Pompey both failed to capitalise on their game in hand 😄
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on May 01, 2019, 11:27:45 am
Quote from: Bez on April 30, 2019, 22:49:47 pm
Promoted!


Sunderland & Pompey both failed to capitalise on their game in hand 😄



Nice one mate. Hopefully those skate bastards will fail in the play offs now.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on May 01, 2019, 14:36:29 pm
Quote from: Chris Quartly on April 30, 2019, 16:06:22 pm

How's super Danny Hylton doing? We always loved him and was probably the fan's favourite player when we let him go, though the over-riding opinion was that he wouldn't quite cut it in League One, I'm happy for him that he has proved people wrong.



He''s done OK, thanks 😀
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on May 02, 2019, 13:54:41 pm
Nice one Bez - after being screwed by the FA a few years back it's no more than Luton deserve.


Squeaky bottom time for us on Saturday  ::)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Bez on May 02, 2019, 19:01:00 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on May 02, 2019, 13:54:41 pm
Nice one Bez - after being screwed by the FA a few years back it's no more than Luton deserve.


Squeaky bottom time for us on Saturday  ::)


We're all honourary Wombles at the weekend, mate....
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on May 07, 2019, 14:04:42 pm
10 points adrift at the bottom of the table early Feb and we somehow stayed up on goal difference.
Not sure how that happened but I'll take it. ;D
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on May 07, 2019, 22:31:17 pm
Nice one Keith, pleased for you mate.
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: The Letter R on May 08, 2019, 14:11:23 pm
Quote from: zoony on May 07, 2019, 22:31:17 pm
Nice one Keith, pleased for you mate.



Thanks Rob! :)
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: Matt2112 on May 08, 2019, 16:18:23 pm
Quote from: The Letter R on May 07, 2019, 14:04:42 pm
10 points adrift at the bottom of the table early Feb and we somehow stayed up on goal difference.
Not sure how that happened but I'll take it. ;D



Was tracking the score all afternoon as you know mate so good to see you prevailed and you and your crew were in high spirits all weekend..!!  :D


Really great to see you in "The 'Fax" on Friday night (Hawaiian Night! ;D  ), somehow missed each other Saturday night but I think by the time I got into town you were probably just about finished off!!  ;D

Anyway, there's always next season for our paths to cross again.
;) 
Title: Re: League 1 2018-19 Season
Post by: zoony on May 17, 2019, 17:18:18 pm
Nice to see those skate bastards dumped out of the play offs last night 🙂.