Author Topic: Root access and Custom Roms on Android mobile phones?  (Read 308 times)

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
Root access and Custom Roms on Android mobile phones?
« on: June 10, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »
I'm not a technophobe but I will happily admit to not being technically savvy or confident enough to risk Rooting my ageing Samsung S4 and putting a custom ROM on it, especially as its ( currently ) the only (working) phone I own (Im a bit of a hoarder when it comes to old, dead phones).

Lately I've noticed the S4, with its modest processor chip and limited memory capacity, struggling to cope with each fresh app update, much of it (frustratingly) from unwanted/unnecessary Samsung and Google bloatware; consequently, its been impossible to run a full version of Facebook on the phone for some time now and I find myself often having to to make a difficult choice over which apps to keep every time I need/want to install a new one.

Its probably time to upgrade; I do make a lot of use of my phone and have become worryingly dependent upon it and the idea of not having a physical back up option available should the S4 suddenly cark it (or I lose it) is now preying on my mind a lot.

I like the idea of buying a faster, better phone and keeping the S4 as a fully functioning, working back up. Having it as a 2nd phone would allow me to take the plunge and root the phone as well as put a custom ROM on it without the worry of things potentially going Pete Tong. I could thus afford to take a few risks and have a bit of fun experimenting and exploring the new possibilities that would be available as well as dividing and seperating certain functions between the 2 phones. In theory this should also allow me to keep the new phone more secure, streamlined and faster without having to sacrifice certain apps and functions.

Have any of you guys done this with an Android phone? If so I would be very interested in your own personal experience of it...in terms of improved speed of performance and ease of use and your take on the subject generally.

Cheers!  :)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:08:24 AM by Bisto »
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: Root access and Custom Roms on Android mobile phones?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
I've never rooted a phone, but actually my own S4 is working quite satisfactorily at the moment -  I have a decent number of apps on there but interestingly it does have the most recent, full version of FB and that works fine. Perhaps a different storage spec than yours, I don't know.

Do you use a cache / junk file cleaner? I have Clean Master on mine and though it's a bit intrusive, it does work well.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 17:12:57 PM »
Not actually sure what you mean by rooting your phone but a lot of my phone data is backed in my Google Cloud Drive so when I transfer from one phone to another this is fairly seamless.
I just upgraded from my Xperia X5 to the ZX Premium and everything transferred well.
Have you got an option of adding an SD card to your phone to expand the memory?

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 21:28:56 PM »
Keith...just in case you want a proper explanation ;)

https://m.androidcentral.com/root#A

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Thanks for the link Andrew - interesting reading, never knew you could do that, although the bit about nulling the warranty has put me off attempting it  ;)

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
Thanks for the link Andrew - interesting reading, never knew you could do that, although the bit about nulling the warranty has put me off attempting it  ;)

Precisely, hence why I have resisted the temptation this far. If/when I buy a new phone I will give it a go on my S4.